• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December Medium/Long Range Discussion

yoda

Icon is warm for Monday. Gfs remains south, but getting closer each run lately. Has rain up to southern MD. Boundary layer is warm but 850s below freezing. Surface dew point would suggest we could wet bulb down to near freezing in DC/Baltimore if we had precip.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, mattie g said:

50/50 Low, a High just north of the Lakes, and a storm coming out of the Gulf. Not sure what's so promising about that..

:lol:

Maybe after the 12z runs, we should at least pull the bus out of the garage...but don’t even think about looking for the keys yet. :lol:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, WxWatcher007 said:

Surface is torched but 850s are right there. With that high it’s easy to see this end up colder there imo. 

Get a full transfer and not have the OH piece hanging around and I agree for us down here.  You get smoked this run.

3 minutes ago, WxWatcher007 said:

Surface is torched but 850s are right there. With that high it’s easy to see this end up colder there imo. 

This. Maybe it’s a snow-rain-snow deal, but I have a hard time seeing this start as rain with a strong high in prime place for CAD. Not worth sweating these details yet. It’s a nice evolution. 

• Like 10

3 minutes ago, WxUSAF said:

This. Maybe it’s a snow-rain-snow deal, but I have a hard time seeing this start as rain with a strong high in prime place for CAD. Not worth sweating these details yet. It’s a nice evolution. 

Interesting to see a non-bombed-out low out bully its way into a high like that with blocking in place.

edit: Good track, though, so I suppose it's more about cold than the block.

I really like our chances with this one. Just a slightly faster transfer and we are in good shape. This feels like the one to me. Sure, Monday could work out, but this just seems like it has huge potential and just an overall better chance given teleconnections lining up for this timeframe.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, mattie g said:

Interesting to see a non-bombed-out low out bully its way into a high like that with blocking in place.

edit: Good track, though, so I suppose it's more about cold than the block.

Yeah.  More an issue of the primary that's along the Ohio river it seems, messing up the thermals.  As others indicated, if the transfer is quicker, or if the primary doesn't go that far north, that could do it for us.  But not a bad overall look to have a week out.  Will be interesting to see what the ensembles show...

ETA:  You know, even just going with the crazy snow maps (not worth a lot, I know!), about 1-2" snow still manages to get down into the cities and DC area at the end, with obviously much more as you go north and west.  That's 1-2" more than we saw the other day! :lol:

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, osfan24 said:

I really like our chances with this one. Just a slightly faster transfer and we are in good shape. This feels like the one to me. Sure, Monday could work out, but this just seems like it has huge potential and just an overall better chance given teleconnections lining up for this timeframe.

yup getting the precipitation is not the issue for you guys on this particular run. Just need it a little bit colder

gfs_apcpn24_neus_25.png

33 minutes ago, Ji said:

the GFS has a perfect track/perfect CAD and its still rain

Trends. Lot of time.  Let’s see how this evolves. It’s a slight adjustment in boundary temperature from a big hit.  Also a few times in recent years guidance showed something at range that didn’t align with the pattern. Each time they adjusted. The most recent was late January last year. There was a coastal threat that at range was a perfect track rain. I said that didn’t make sense with the pattern. In the end the storm stayed suppressed but it would have been cold enough. The guidance adjusted. It was one of the only realistic threats we had all winter. We just didn’t cash in but not due to temps. I’ll agree if it did go down that way it would be troubling. I don’t mind when bad patterns are bad. But if we start losing when everything is perfect that’s a bad sign for something worse then just a bad pattern behind our struggles. But my guess is if this progresses like that Gfs run it would be colder. 

27 minutes ago, WxUSAF said:

Yea this 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

Trends. Lot of time.  Let’s see how this evolves. It’s a slight adjustment in boundary temperature from a big hit.  Also a few times in recent years guidance showed something at range that didn’t align with the pattern. Each time they adjusted. The most recent was late January last year. There was a coastal threat that at range was a perfect track rain. I said that didn’t make sense with the pattern. In the end the storm stayed suppressed but it would have been cold enough. The guidance adjusted. It was one of the only realistic threats we had all winter. We just didn’t cash in but not due to temps. I’ll agree if it did go down that way it would be troubling. I don’t mind when bad patterns are bad. But if we start losing when everything is perfect that’s a bad sign for something worse then just a bad pattern behind our struggles. But my guess is if this progresses like that Gfs run it would be colder. 

Yea this 

There is also a slight bit of CAD. That almost always ends up colder.

28 minutes ago, WxUSAF said:

I like the more neutral trough axis this run vs 0z, when it was tilting negative as it approached. That likely wont work for places east of the highlands this time of year without super cold air in place.

4 minutes ago, NorthArlington101 said:

GEFS is gonna be pretty decent. I'll post a map in a sec.

Both Storms 

Yup. Surface and 500 evolution made a big step. Much more toward favoring a coastal low vs even 6z which showed a primary in the lakes. Confluence to the northeast better as well. 

• Like 4

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic