Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
December Medium/Long Range Discussion

yoda

1 minute ago, SnowLover22 said:

still makes you wonder why the model "thinks freezing rain"

Dunno...from a quick glance the best lift is not in the dendritic snow growth zone...but that wouldn't fully explain it.  Could be a thickness based algorithm.  But wasting a lot of time trying to figure out a very specific detail of a op run at that range that has no chance of being completely accurate is a waste of time anyways.  If this was 24 hours out then we could try to parse that...and obviously the simple answer is its a mistake.  Why...I don't know enough about their precip type algorithms to say.  I don't really use those things to tell me what is going to happen anyways.  

17 minutes ago, SnowLover22 said:

still makes you wonder why the model "thinks freezing rain"

I found your answer...damn you, you got me curious and so I had to go look.  The precip and ptype you are looking at is for the previous 6 hour period.  So you are looking at the skewT for the very end of that 6 hour period.  At that time it is very obviously snowing.  But if you go back and look at hour 192 there is a warm layer at around 700mb.  That is pretty high up and close to the snow growth region.  That would definitely be a problem.  A small barely above freezing layer lower down could easily be mixed out by heavier precip.  But if the snow growth region is warm...well that's a problem.  Now...is that warm layer right, probably not.  Because no detail is right at that range.  But that is why the precip type is showing mixing.  Its very likely sleet as the below freezing layer under the warm layer is pretty thick.  

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

that's legit...not some bootleg transient ridge...straight -NAO...no chaser.   And it really starts to build in the short range not some unicorn long range fantasy.  

So...is it too early start talking about the lag effect of last year's solar minimum being a possible factor this year? Or perhaps we should give it a little time to make SURE it's gonna happen? Lol

Then the trough over Alaska retros over the Aleutians and you can see the response on the west coast as ridging will start expanding into western Canada (hopefully) as @psuhoffman said earlier with the 6z GEFS.  Could be rushed but end of the month into January looks far from a Nina...

GEFS Xmas week.png

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, LP08 said:

Then the trough over Alaska retros over the Aleutians and you can see the response on the west coast as ridging will start expanding into western Canada (hopefully) as @psuhoffman said earlier with the 6z GEFS.  Could be rushed but end of the month into January looks far from a Nina...

GEFS Xmas week.png

If you get just enough blocking it sets off a chain reaction that reconfigured a Nina look into a workable one. What I found was we actually do ok in a Nina if we have a cooperative AO/NAO. Problem is that’s not all that common. Nina tropical forcing tends to favor a +NAM state more often then not. But in cases where we do get help up top it can snow in a Nina. 

2 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

If you get just enough blocking it sets off a chain reaction that reconfigured a Nina look into a workable one. What I found was we actually do ok in a Nina if we have a cooperative AO/NAO. Problem is that’s not all that common. Nina tropical forcing tends to favor a +NAM state more often then not. But in cases where we do get help up top it can snow in a Nina. 

Xmas Eve storm?  LOCK IT UP almost @CAPE avatar lol

Xmas Eve GEFS.png

• Like 1
  • Weenie 1

22 minutes ago, Maestrobjwa said:

So...is it too early start talking about the lag effect of last year's solar minimum being a possible factor this year? Or perhaps we should give it a little time to make SURE it's gonna happen? Lol

I wouldn't automatically attribute anything to just one factor without a lot more research and data.  It could be the solar minimum.  Or maybe its something else and its just a coincidence.  Or maybe the solar minimum is just a part of the equation and there are other factors contributing also.  There are way too many variables to just pin it on one thing.  If it was that easy forecasting wouldn't be so difficult.  

1 minute ago, Wentzadelphia said:

Euro got rid of the follow up wave btw, caved once again to the other models. I said before when the euro is on an island you better hope other models jump on soon

None of the models when on an island without any other support is a good bet, especially not at that range.  There is a lot of moving parts in this pattern.  We will see how it shakes out.  

4 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

None of the models when on an island without any other support is a good bet, especially not at that range.  There is a lot of moving parts in this pattern.  We will see how it shakes out.  

Yeah I’m not counting it out at this range. Just saying the idea for a crazy wrapped up ULL was most likely a bias coming into play. I’m really enthusiastic about the next few weeks.

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic