• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
December Medium/Long Range Discussion

yoda

Couple of non expert observations.  It is not going to snow in the next five days.  Take a deep breath and let’s see how it looks by Sunday for the period leading up to the holidays. Trying to dissect every model run beyond five days all winter will drive you crazy.  Secondly, the torch pattern anticipated by many for the second half of December appears to be at least delayed.

7 minutes ago, Wentzadelphia said:

12z JMA for ji of course. The LP doesn’t come from the best spot, but the signal is there. HP showing up in SE Canada is of course a big deal for us.

A0D0E710-C2D8-42D9-BC85-D82C2BD7B814.png

That 1040 HP just north of Ogdensburg is definitely a "big deal" if the LP tracks through southeast Va..

MJO plots are all over the place because there are multiple waves sending conflicting signals...but it seems day 10-16 the wave out near the dateline becomes more prominent on the GEFS.  That would be helpful tropical forcing for a change.  The mean plot shows phase 6 because a wave back near the MC and the one near the dateline are battling each other in the means.  But if the forcing near the dateline is dominant that may explain the change to a more favorable look.  Or it's just a coincidence.  

1 hour ago, psuhoffman said:

that's legit...not some bootleg transient ridge...straight -NAO...no chaser.   And it really starts to build in the short range not some unicorn long range fantasy.  

At least a moderately strong -AO is already building in now so it'll greatly increase the chances of a stable NAO block verifying.

• Like 2

Approaching the make or break period IMHO. Past few winters (or lack of), when model mahem appeared in December the final result sort of dictated the base state the rest of the winter. I know things can turn on a dime at any point but generally we establish things in the period approaching. If we can actually get some of these ull tellie looks to pan out and not be a tease, we should be in businesses this season with ample chances. We know what happened with these teaser looks past years. Fingers crossed.

• Like 3

57 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

I wouldn't automatically attribute anything to just one factor without a lot more research and data.  It could be the solar minimum.  Or maybe its something else and its just a coincidence.  Or maybe the solar minimum is just a part of the equation and there are other factors contributing also.  There are way too many variables to just pin it on one thing.  If it was that easy forecasting wouldn't be so difficult.  

Yeah I can understand that perspective...on the other hand, IF the -NAO is true, I find it mighty strange how we haven't had winter one for almost a decade (basically since the 2009-10 with only maybe one other case)...and then all of the sudden we get one after a minimum.

14 minutes ago, Maestrobjwa said:

Yeah I can understand that perspective...on the other hand, IF the -NAO is true, I find it mighty strange how we haven't had winter one for almost a decade (basically since the 2009-10 with only maybe one other case)...and then all of the sudden we get one after a minimum.

We had a period of NAO blocking in 2013. Didn’t do is much good. Also a pretty good period in 2016 but it was cancelled in the means by extreme +NAO periods. Also March 2018. Blocking has been rare lately yes. But there are enough examples not to automatically assume its solar. I’m not saying it’s not. Just that we can’t say for sure. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, psuhoffman said:

If you get just enough blocking it sets off a chain reaction that reconfigured a Nina look into a workable one. What I found was we actually do ok in a Nina if we have a cooperative AO/NAO. Problem is that’s not all that common. Nina tropical forcing tends to favor a +NAM state more often then not. But in cases where we do get help up top it can snow in a Nina. 

Two questions:

1) What other examples outside of 1995-96 where we did okay in a nina because of what you just mentioned?

2) Speaking of 95/96...was some record -AO/-NAO the reason why it worked?

Summarizing the Eps snow maps for the midweek storm next week: 3 ggem like monsters, 5-6 modest events. A few suppressed solutions which I don’t mind at D7. More chances interior unsurprisingly. 

Looking at MSLP, can’t tell if the Miller B look is from 2 camps (one cutter and one coastal) or if these are doublebarreled lows which would scorch our BL temps. 

• Thanks 1

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic