Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December Medium/Long Range Discussion

yoda

9 minutes ago, WEATHER53 said:

If it’s a true MillerB, they work around DC about 10%  of the time and Baltimore 25%. They always form too far NE. From Aberdeen northward can do well but generally Wilmington and north 

You are correct if it’s a pure northern stream dominant miller b.  But there are A/B hybrids. If there is enough STJ involvement and the phase/transfer happens far enough south those can work. Right now this looks like a hybrid. Lots of STJ involvement.  I think we have more of a chance here then with a pure miller B. But unless it’s a pure miller A there is always a risk the storm develops too late for us. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

You are correct if it’s a pure northern stream dominant miller b.  But there are A/B hybrids. If there is enough STJ involvement and the phase/transfer happens far enough south those can work. Right now this looks like a hybrid. Lots of STJ involvement.  I think we have more of a chance here then with a pure miller B. But unless it’s a pure miller A there is always a risk the storm develops too late for us. 

Aren't most of our big storms Miller B's anyway? Miller A's seem like unicorns these days.

8 minutes ago, CAPE said:

Unless one simply likes hand wringing over details of a singular op run 5+ days out, love this panel and live for the next model cycle.

Which one would you personally put your money on for down this way based on model guidance. I was more or less transferring all my eggs to Wednesday but Euro and GFS keeps me interested for Monday.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, osfan24 said:

Aren't most of our big storms Miller B's anyway? Miller A's seem like unicorns these days.

That can get way in the weeds because people argue over the definitions.  Is a miller B any storm that goes up west of the apps and jumps?  Only northern stream systems that jump and develop. Some mix?  Where does it go from A to B?  Most storm jump somewhere. Actually all storms jump since pressure centers are always redeveloping. But those jumps are often minor.  So when a gulf system gets into GA then jumps to off the Carolina coast we don’t say anything. When a storm jumps from Ohio to off VA that’s a bit more significant so it gets a different classification.  I don’t really like to waste time arguing about definitions and terminology.  So it just depends.  Rule is the more STJ dominant the better.  Further south the transfer and or phase the better!  Closer to a miller A the better.  But a pure miller A is rare.  And even those rules aren’t 100%  March 2013 we had a northern stream handoff that jumped so far south due to an Uber block that we got screwed and the heavier banding set up by Richmond.  Everything is a matter of degrees.  Everything depends on lots of variables.  Even the perfect track depends on how mature and deep the low is and the thermal profile around it.  

• Like 7

2 minutes ago, losetoa6 said:

HH Euro definitely colder .Lower  Hieghts out in front definitely helped.  Lot less interaction with the ns . Maybe a good thing in this case 

We suffer from lack of cold more than lack of precipitation.  This is good news I think. 

2 minutes ago, WinterWxLuvr said:

For me, I see very little chance that a low near Atlanta can somehow slide straight out to sea. At least I think we’d get precip with that.

Tend to agree. Probably a glancing blow but something. That precip map shows you need heavier precip and dynamical cooling to get some snow. Timing of the shortwave relative to the cold air is also key. Want things a little slower. Seems HH euro did that.

16 minutes ago, Weather Will said:

WB EURO hour 90.  Seems a little slower.  That has to affect things later in the week...

DA53503F-4DF8-4D99-8B7F-1A76F0D3E882.png

Depends. There wasn’t much correlation on the GEFS members between the two systems. I checked. There is enough separation (as of now). I think the mid week threat is more dependent on the high/confluence and the interaction of the STJ with the NS. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, CAPE said:

Unless one simply likes hand wringing over details of a singular op run 5+ days out, love this panel and live for the next model cycle.

again     very much like  12z  euro//eps 

again     east coast  storms   EURO  leading    with consistency

• Like 2
  • Weenie 1

2 hours ago, Weather Will said:

WB GFS 18Z.  Coastal low not as organized?

8E0E12F3-5F38-4688-A3AE-A9F10F0F2978.png

its the  18z GFS  dont care...   WHY?

LOOK at the 18z GEFS ... the differences  between the  OP  GFS  and   the 18z GEFS are   significant   which   tells me  that  the op GFS  is still  not  getting it 

• Like 4
  • Weenie 1

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic