Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December Medium/Long Range Discussion

yoda

Just now, PhineasC said:

I am not really clear on your climo. Do you need a storm more like a southern slider or something that hits the beaches? Do the traditional I-95 and NW MECS not work that well for your spot? Because for MBY this thing looks classic. But that might be a screw job for you.

It is highly variable. I miss out on as many southern sliders as I manage to catch the NW edge of. A synoptic set up like this often gets this area into the good stuff with the I-95 crew, but the air mass is not super cold, its mid December, and look at the warm ocean temps just offshore. There is going to be some strong easterly winds for a time with that low track. Dec 2009 was a 20" all snow event here, but it had a legit west-based block and a perfect track. Cold locked in.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, 40westwx said:

their forecast is just silly.. I know @usedtobe is the primary contributor but if I were them I would title the headline "Foot of snow possible for DC".  They are way too conservative. Just let it rip.. have fun with it!

He isn’t the primary. It’s done mostly by Jason. Wes is a great help and always provides sound advice 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, 40westwx said:

their forecast is just silly.. I know @usedtobe is the primary contributor but if I were them I would title the headline "Foot of snow possible for DC".  They are way too conservative. Just let it rip.. have fun with it!

It is not wise to unnecessarily hype a storm when things are far from certain. 

Not sure if you remember March 2013 or March 2001.

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, 40westwx said:

I couldnt agree more.. And if you live in Southern MD or even DC.. just book a staycation somewhere!! Hunt Valley is very close to Oregon Ridge.. stay Wed night and sled on Thursday!  This is an easy chase :)

I wouldn't necessarily count out Southern MD.  They often get overlooked in these kinds of storms.  I grew up in Charles County and often they get surprised with higher totals in Coastal lows.  

1 minute ago, DCTeacherman said:

Let’s hope you’re right.  A lot of those EPS lows would be a lot of rain for the majority of the sub forum.  

FWIW, the CMC was the best model on the last coastal in terms of track. It didn't waver for days while the Euro and GFS waffled around, the former too far NW and the latter too far SE.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic