• Member Statistics

    16,263
    Total Members
    7,904
    Most Online
    MDweatherman
    Newest Member
    MDweatherman
    Joined
Baroclinic Zone

Fall Banter and General Discussion

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, PhineasC said:

Could be an interesting study one day. I think it's debatable which aspect of all of this caused the most suffering, fear, and dread at a national level. The concern over the risk of dying or a loved one dying from COVID versus the impact of shutdowns, business closures, school closures, and general economic decline. It's a complex problem.

I do believe there is very little appetite nationally for more shutdowns over COVID, and an attempted second round of them will get ugly.

Humans are a social species so I think the distancing has had a major psychological toll.  Is dying worse? Of course but the lockdowns are certainly taking a toll and the stress that goes along with them doesn’t help the immune system.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, OSUmetstud said:

Flu is down because of covid restrictions and is a less communicable disease so its numbers are much smaller. Still there is some flu around. 

Masks are effective but aren't a magic pill they are part of a multi-pronged approach at slowing down the disease spread. 

The last part is just crap. 

Yeah, flu isn't nearly as communicable, so masks and distancing really work to tamp it down. COVID fatigue seems to be real too. I was driving around downtown New Haven Saturday evening and noted the sidewalks were jam-packed with diners. Great for the local restaurants, but I'm not sure it mitigates risk being outside if you're shoulder to shoulder with fifty other people eating without masks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, OSUmetstud said:

Flu is down because of covid restrictions and is a less communicable disease so its numbers are much smaller. Still there is some flu around. 

Masks are effective but aren't a magic pill they are part of a multi-pronged approach at slowing down the disease spread. 

The last part is just crap. 

Regarding the last part, it issourced on the bottom

 

https://rationalground.com/mask-charts/

https://rationalground.com/more-mask-charts/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, OSUmetstud said:

What is rational ground? It sounds like a conspiracy site. Why is that people don't understand that there are tons of conflating factors in the epidemiology? 

Nope, site of numbers collecting people; one is editor of news paper in Gainesville FL whose has done some really digging into the Numbers here in FL.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Modfan2 said:

Nope, site of numbers collecting people; one his editor of news paper in Gainesville FL whose has done some really digging into the Numbers here in FL.  

Lol. Alright. Maybe you should check out some reputable sources.  

https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-020-02801-8

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/more/masking-science-sars-cov2.html

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Modfan2 said:

I am fine with my sources; were the dates and data on those charts not accurate?

 

I dont know. They might have been. Its a pandemic man, scientific sources should be preferred.

Even if they are correct, those charts don't tell you if the mandate is being enforced, how many people are actually wearing masks and wearing them properly, and nothing of the various other factors that are influencing spread at any given time. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, Modfan2 said:

Hospitalizations for respiratory viruses are ticking up everywhere, as they do in flu season every year. This year there's no flu, just COVID?

The same thing is happening in states that are locked down with mask mandates.

Masks have not prevented these increases anywhere; not telling anyone not to mask but mandating it has not proven any great success. I believe (obviously could be wrong) but mask wearing for the healthy delays building any immunity to the virus it also weakens are immune systems to no germs or bacteria that we would normally be exposed to on a daily basis.

 

People that are getting infected the most are NOT wearings masks.  They're contracting the virus as social gatherings, schools, restaurants, bars, etc.  Wearing a mask reduces exposure and possibility of becoming infected.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, OSUmetstud said:

The country is so ****ed. Conspiracy on social media is rampant. 

We have become a culture of mistrust and essentially everything gets discredited by one group or another.  If I were an investigative journalist I’d be looking for a new career because half the people won’t believe your story anyway.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

Cases spiking in DC. I guess the street partying last week was a super spreader deal.

Super spreader would be a good name for a band or an album!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Baroclinic Zone said:

People that are getting infected the most are NOT wearings masks.  They're contracting the virus as social gatherings, schools, restaurants, bars, etc.  Wearing a mask reduces exposure and possibility of becoming infected.

Is there data backing this up (the people getting infected are not wearing masks)? I see a high-level of mask compliance everywhere I go, and I have been on the road a lot since May.

Continuing to browbeat the people who have been trying to follow the rules since March is simply going to turn more people against following those rules.

  • Like 1
  • Weenie 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

Cases spiking in DC. I guess the street partying last week was a super spreader deal.

Can blame the spread on a lot of things.  I'm sure the election day itself has played a role in case increases. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

We have become a culture of mistrust and essentially everything gets discredited by one group or another.  If I were an investigative journalist I’d be looking for a new career because half the people won’t believe your story anyway.

I can't think of many journalists left that really just investigate and report the facts. The reporting is always spun one way or another in an attempt to make some larger political or moral point. Basically, everything is one big opinion section.

  • Like 1
  • Weenie 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

Is there data backing this up (the people getting infected are not wearing masks)? I see a high-level of mask compliance everywhere I go, and I have been on the road a lot since May.

Continuing to browbeat the people who have been trying to follow the rules since March is simply going to turn more people against following those rules.

Mask compliance is 70 percent per imhe but im not sure what that means. Like if you always wear them at the grocery store but then take them off while you're drinking at the bar or when you have guests at your home then what is that doing for you? 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, PhineasC said:

Is there data backing this up (the people getting infected are not wearing masks)? I see a high-level of mask compliance everywhere I go, and I have been on the road a lot since May.

Continuing to browbeat the people who have been trying to follow the rules since March is simply going to turn more people against following those rules.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/investigations/2020/10/22/trumps-campaign-made-stops-nationwide-then-coronavirus-cases-surged/3679534001/

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2020/sep/17/maine-wedding-superspreader-event

https://www.bbc.com/news/election-us-2020-54487154

Here's just a few.  All events where majority of people were NOT wearing masks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, PhineasC said:

I can't think of many journalists left that really just investigate and report the facts. The reporting is always spun one way or another in an attempt to make some larger political or moral point. Basically, everything is one big opinion section.

There are plenty of good news sources left... the problem is we as a society have gotten to the point where we don't read what we don't want to hear.  Plan and simple.  "Fake News" isn't truly "fake" as in made up... it means "news we don't agree with." 

The nation is as divided as it ever has been and people go to the comfort of their sources that tell them what they want to hear.  Its complete echo chamber and you throw out any news you don't like as "fake" or that's what a powerful person has taught us.

I actually enjoyed just reading through what ModFan posted because it's news that's different than my view point.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, OSUmetstud said:

Mask compliance is 70 percent per imhe but im not sure what that means. Like if you always wear them at the grocery store but then take them off while you're drinking at the bar or when you have guests at you're home then what is that doing for you? 

People are following the rules laid out by the govt. They are told to wear masks in some situations and not in others. I'm sure the scientists would say the best approach is to wear a mask all the time and stay in a secure, positive air pressure room 24/7. People are doing their best to comply while also attempting to work and live. I don't think the finger-wagging blame/shame approach from the summer is going to work this time around. People are tired of it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Baroclinic Zone said:

These are singular events. I don't see how that can be extrapolated to the million of cases being detected. I'm sure there are many, many religious mask-wearers contracting COVID.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, powderfreak said:

There are plenty of good news sources left... the problem is we as a society have gotten to the point where we don't read what we don't want to hear.  Plan and simple.  "Fake News" isn't truly "fake" as in made up... it means "news we don't agree with." 

The nation is as divided as it ever has been and people go to the comfort of their sources that tell them what they want to hear.  Its complete echo chamber and you throw out any news you don't like as "fake" or that's what a powerful person has taught us.

I actually enjoyed just reading through what ModFan posted because it's news that's different than my view point.

I can't think of too many news sources left without an obvious slant. Certainly nothing on TV or the major newspapers. I'm guessing we have very different versions of what we consider a slant. People tend to set their own beliefs as the "moderate, factual, centrist" viewpoint and judge news outlets accordingly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, PhineasC said:

People are following the rules laid out by the govt. They are told to wear masks in some situations and not in others. I'm sure the scientists would say the best approach is to wear a mask all the time and stay in a secure, positive air pressure room 24/7. People are doing their best to comply while also attempting to work and live. I don't think the finger-wagging blame/shame approach from the summer is going to work this time around. People are tired of it.

Its tough to have a real conversation with you about this when you say exaggerated and say shit like this. 

There are definitely plenty of people that don't wear masks because they don't want to or don't believe in it. 

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.