Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Fall Banter and General Discussion

Baroclinic Zone

3 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Oh for sure I know what you were up to and it’s easy to see where he’s going too, ha.

Its a hot topic right now but the act of creating an account for a third-party outfit like AMWX means you lose that freedom of speech to the admin of whatever platform you sign up for.

Thats why these places have you check a box that states you agree to their policies.  You don’t check that box “I agree” for nothing.

I was able to circumvent checking that box 

• Haha 1

54 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Right. Its just not worth it to go back to work, so they protract the befits as long as possible, which fosters dependency.

But wasn't that the point?  Pay people to stay home in order to reduce spread, so they wouldn't feel they had be out regardless of how susceptible or ill they already were.

• Thanks 1

this ought poke some hornet nests... 

How 'bout Deutsche Bank's proposed 5% "work from home" tax to be levied against those who ...wait for it -       work from home 

Ha ha...   

It's great ...  Pandemic forces this state of affairs, then ... those that who have no choice but to work from home, get economically pinged for it - it's soft persecution to single out that group for one. 

It's another example of how the human contrivance of 'money' ... is intrinsically disconnected from the same nature that evolved humanity.   It's always fascinated me how it seems we, as a species, seem to lose sight of that.  As though it's indispensable, we can couch its illusion of value in with,  E=MC2,  PV=NRT,  and  DNA = DeoxyriboNucleic Acid  ... etc

Point being, when the illusion gets in the way of the real processes of nature, to wit the pandemic is one such real process...  trying to use that same illusion to fight back is going to cause iniquity ;) .. there's no way around it.  

The simple solution is, don't do that - 

...Here's some fake yet plausible news for you... NO, Douche-Bank doesn't give a ratz ass about recouping a 5% work from home tax, so that those who have been displaced from employment can breathe relief - hell no!  Their f'n cloaking their incentives in good deeds ... They're trying to take wealth from working folks, give it to non-working folk, so the non-working folk can resume payment on defaulting mortgage ..and school ..car or whatever loans Douche' ultimately owns the account #s for, that's all.   

37 minutes ago, mattb65 said:

I can understand the various perspectives from those in favor of lockdowns and those vehemently opposed. It does seem that the calculus changes a bit with the news of an effective vaccine. There is now a tangible end point, back in the spring the end point was highly uncertain with most seeming to assume no vaccine would be developed for years. With a tangible end point now with much less uncertainty, a rational accounting of the costs in terms of lives, economic impact, etc can realistically be calculated at this point.

We also have already seen that once the brakes are taken off, the economy does seem to rebound pretty effectively. If the restrictions are taken off and the virus is no longer a threat, I believe there will be a realease of a lot of pent up demand for travel, entertainment, and all the other industries most affected by the virus.

I would also categorically disagree that we are a country of people that would lose their motivation to go out and work hard to move up the economic ladder if they were given government support for a month or two especially since the support would end.

It's an interesting thought experiment, in the end I just hope everyone here doesn't lose someone they love to this virus and doesn't lose their livelihood or mental well being. This virus has taken a heavy toll on all of us.

I would also disagree with the notion that we are a country of people who would engage in such behavior, which is why I specified that those people are in the minority, but there were some.

21 minutes ago, mreaves said:

But wasn't that the point?  Pay people to stay home in order to reduce spread, so they wouldn't feel they had be out regardless of how susceptible or ill they already were.

Yes, but the issue was those who were staying home after they had the option to going back.

1 hour ago, powderfreak said:

Free speech doesn’t mean you can use someone else’s platform to say whatever you want anyway.  I’m not sure why that’s a difficult concept lol.

Pretty sure the forum rules state no politics unless in OT and we all agree to that when creating an account.  

America...where we believe to have the freedom to do whatever and say whatever we please.

You ask people to wear masks and they say it’s their right not to but what they don’t realize it’s not their right to put others in danger by possible infecting them. We have stop signs, speed limits, seat belt laws, etc...laws and guidelines to protect society. Sure, some are more infringing then others but the idea this is the wild wild west is short sighted, cherry picked, and agenda driven. Generations before us have given up a lot more then putting on a mask...I think we have lost sight of that. It’s sad. 

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

5 minutes ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

Same.... there is speculation that it will be replacing something else though where I work. Not sure what that would be; or how true that is though .

Yeah. They talked about using the floating holiday but voted against that as it would just be "moving one day to another" and that it would not be an original day off.  For now it is an added holiday.  (15 holidays now)

2 hours ago, mattb65 said:

I can understand the various perspectives from those in favor of lockdowns and those vehemently opposed. It does seem that the calculus changes a bit with the news of an effective vaccine. There is now a tangible end point, back in the spring the end point was highly uncertain with most seeming to assume no vaccine would be developed for years. With a tangible end point now with much less uncertainty, a rational accounting of the costs in terms of lives, economic impact, etc can realistically be calculated at this point.

We also have already seen that once the brakes are taken off, the economy does seem to rebound pretty effectively. If the restrictions are taken off and the virus is no longer a threat, I believe there will be a realease of a lot of pent up demand for travel, entertainment, and all the other industries most affected by the virus.

I would also categorically disagree that we are a country of people that would lose their motivation to go out and work hard to move up the economic ladder if they were given government support for a month or two especially since the support would end.

It's an interesting thought experiment, in the end I just hope everyone here doesn't lose someone they love to this virus and doesn't lose their livelihood or mental well being. This virus has taken a heavy toll on all of us.

The support wouldn’t end under certain conditions, IMO. 

7 hours ago, Baroclinic Zone said:

That suck Jerry.  My FIL is the same.  He's going on 8mo now since being diagnosed with a glioblastoma.  We're in a holding pattern until the chemo stops working or he has some sort of stroke/aneurysm due to the swelling in his brain. We're planning on Thanksgiving in CT for a small gathering.

So sorry Bob!  Tough times for your family as well.  We take what comes but it's not fun.  Since we had to travel here at least retirement allows flexibility.  I can do my side gig from anywhere.  Godspeed Bob!

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

What a mess that must be. Yikes. 

41 minutes ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

Ha, for many on here the PR forum is like venturing into the dark web.  You do have to have pretty thick skin over there

Yeah, it's definitely not for weak-willed or thin-skinned folks.  Some end up leaving because they can't take it and end up melting.  

1 hour ago, Cold Miser said:

I just learned today that where I work, Juneteenth is going to become a work holiday starting in June, 2021.

I believe President Trump said he would support this during the campaign and some states have enacted it as state level holiday this year.