Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Fall Banter and General Discussion

Baroclinic Zone

2 hours ago, Skivt2 said:

Taiwan and Germany and other places are doing better for example.  There are ways to avoid this situation we are in. Not being clear about the risk of aerosols early in and falsely communicating to people that it is a hoax for example.

Germany is getting hit hard again. Who communicated it was a hoax? Link?

25 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

Germany is getting hit hard again. Who communicated it was a hoax? Link?

Britain going back into lockdown, too. I think he was referring to remarks President Trump made at a rally last February, in which he called the virus the Democrats' "new hoax" after the impeachment proceedings. I don't think he meant it literally, but I'm not going to defend his management of this pandemic either. Anyway, I'm sick of politics (Orh feel free to delete), so let's talk snow. Loved your pictures this morning, Steve. Bet the pups were having a ball.

It seems lockdowns don't really work if they are half-assed and start/stop based on surges. If you do lockdowns "the right way," the enormous social and economic impact just isn't justifiable, especially for a virus with a 99.5% survival rate. So we have no choice but to take this middle ground and hope herd immunity/vaccine/better treatment pulls us out of it.
I am kind of tired of people asserting that Americans aren't wearing their masks or social distancing enough or that politics has caused the pandemic to be worse here. That's pretty clearly BS if you look at Europe and compare. There are no Trump supporters in Spain, France, and Italy. They surely "mask up" there and socially distance. They also have socialized healthcare. Yet cases have been surging all the same.
I'm not seeing what a new US president would suddenly do differently than what is already being done in Europe.
Biden said he will "shut the virus down", whatever that means.
  • Like 1
  • Weenie 2

Flying was already a huge hassle before. I can only imagine how terrible it is right now. I'd need to have a really good reason to get on an airplane these days.
Wife's a flight attendant. Planes are the cleanest they've ever been. Study compared risk of covid between planes, subway, being in a car and others. Planes had the least risk and was extremely low.
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Lava Rock said:
2 hours ago, PhineasC said:
Flying was already a huge hassle before. I can only imagine how terrible it is right now. I'd need to have a really good reason to get on an airplane these days.

Wife's a flight attendant. Planes are the cleanest they've ever been. Study compared risk of covid between planes, subway, being in a car and others. Planes had the least risk and was extremely low.

I am not really worried about getting the Vid per se. Just all the worry and hassle over distancing and precautions. I dislike flying in any case.

• Like 1

Apologies if this has been posted already.  I found it sound and informative.

https://english.elpais.com/society/2020-10-28/a-room-a-bar-and-a-class-how-the-coronavirus-is-spread-through-the-air.html?ssm=TW_CC

If I had to guess, I suspect the recent surges (not just in the US) are due to relatively small, familial/friend gatherings indoors where all 3 measures in the article (masks, airflow, duration) are ignored.  

20 minutes ago, tunafish said:

Apologies if this has been posted already.  I found it sound and informative.

https://english.elpais.com/society/2020-10-28/a-room-a-bar-and-a-class-how-the-coronavirus-is-spread-through-the-air.html?ssm=TW_CC

If I had to guess, I suspect the recent surges (not just in the US) are due to relatively small, familial/friend gatherings indoors where all 3 measures in the article (masks, airflow, duration) are ignored.  

Which is why Thanksgiving is setting up to be a problem.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Lava Rock said:
5 hours ago, PhineasC said:

We were supposed to go to a conference this summer in Vegas, which was cancelled. Now we have airfare just waiting for us to use. And realistically, there's just not a ton of places that I can see planning a trip to visit and being able to count on it being open, dining outside, etc. It's not so much the flying but the "Where?" question. If we were going to see someone, that would be one thing. All the relatives in the flying distances live in states with way, way worse COVID rates so that's a big "No thank you" now.

15 hours ago, Lava Rock said:
18 hours ago, PhineasC said:

Tests have shown that air circulation patterns in jetliners help to prevent possible spread of germs/viruses.  I'd be more concerned with the terminal/security processes.

17 hours ago, radarman said:

It's a frickin breeze.  Plenty of parking.  No security lines,   Super fast boarding.  Rows to yourself. Cheap tix. 

It is. I have definitely played around with the idea of the wife and I flying out to Idaho for a week to ski in January or February since there are several decent ski areas out there included in our season passes. Some short fights from BDL to Boise for the two of us round trip would be about $400-500, lodging is dirt cheap too. Not factoring in food could basically ski for 6 days out there for ~$1000.

On 10/31/2020 at 2:35 PM, ORH_wxman said:

Yeah I was thinking how empty it probably is so it is easier. 

Though I've heard talk that some airlines might go to rapid testing for their passengers...not sure how that would possibly work for like 100 people. If it would require people getting there super early, then t would offset a lot of the current ease of no lines. 

i dropped my brother off at Logan today. His flight in from Nashville was cancelled at first due to too few passengers.  

The comedy of all the "highway electronic signs" saying Salem is closed for the last week had me prepare my brother for the idea that we wouldn't be able to go there (i could take it or leave it) , he seemed to want to see the "hocus pocus" house which i found odd but hey i love him ha. 

It's just so surreal  to me the double standard of how somethings outdoors and with  usually masks was covered  this summer with out any condemnation for fear of i dunno what...being criticized ? (and i have no issue with the message of protests) and something so critical to Salem's economy that also brings enjoyment was announced to be "cancelled" two weeks ago.  Human nature is just funny to me and always has been. 

That being said "the strip" in Salem was quite busy...Everyone had masks on ...if you didn't you would be reminded kindly that you needed one by police, but the mood was very cool and Had the Halloween enjoyment vibe...I didn't see one event closed. We walked around saw a lot of cool costumes and it was just so very odd to me that the signs on the highway that day said "Salem closed" . I mean everyone in Salem is constantly just walking around past each other. I believe dining was 50% capacity or so...didn't seem odd.  I was there for a couple hours in the mid day sun on Saturday and it felt much milder than i prepared for. Was nice to enjoy some normalcy. 

It is obvious thou that numbers are soaring in Europe and US...the duration of this trend is going to be interesting to me...and i honestly watch it very closely because i have gotten a decent amount of success trading options the last month or two. Covid is still being priced into Markets due to the steepness of the slope  and the repercussions and lockdowns and subsequent GDP  adjustments ahead.  Couple that with election concerns and questions about contested elections the market is at it's ripest for Volatility and a Black Swan'ish  event Since March for the next week or two..thou that would likely take some Contested election and riots to achieve in addition to the Rise of Covid. Also Global indicators like the Baltic dry index/ shipping index has fallen quickly in last 2 weeks to important support levels as well as OIL has really just begun tanking again as the dollar has rallied. The Fed decision after its two day meeting this Thursday  (to expand asset purchases) will play a sizable role in the end of the week market activity , thou the various  Fed Governor speeches (over 60 in last month)   have repeated the same low pitched  scream  "downside risks to the economy exist without continued fiscal stimulus" ..and they certainly do.  The Fiscal inaction since August.. during pandemic has been clearly documented as a driving force of this years growing Wealth inequality without stimulus as the hit has been (so far) to lower paying jobs on average,* fascinating how that isn't really a story , given everyone talking about inequality, guess the political donor class is doing quite well and is often just "acting" and the awareness of this via any media is low. 

• Thanks 1
  • Weenie 1

3 hours ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

i dropped my brother off at Logan today. His flight in from Nashville was cancelled at first due to too few passengers.  

The comedy of all the "highway electronic signs" saying Salem is closed for the last week had me prepare my brother for the idea that we wouldn't be able to go there (i could take it or leave it) , he seemed to want to see the "hocus pocus" house which i found odd but hey i love him ha. 

It's just so surreal  to me the double standard of how somethings outdoors and with  usually masks was covered  this summer with out any condemnation for fear of i dunno what...being criticized ? (and i have no issue with the message of protests) and something so critical to Salem's economy that also brings enjoyment was announced to be "cancelled" two weeks ago.  Human nature is just funny to me and always has been. 

That being said "the strip" in Salem was quite busy...Everyone had masks on ...if you didn't you would be reminded kindly that you needed one by police, but the mood was very cool and Had the Halloween enjoyment vibe...I didn't see one event closed. We walked around saw a lot of cool costumes and it was just so very odd to me that the signs on the highway that day said "Salem closed" . I mean everyone in Salem is constantly just walking around past each other. I believe dining was 50% capacity or so...didn't seem odd.  I was there for a couple hours in the mid day sun on Saturday and it felt much milder than i prepared for. Was nice to enjoy some normalcy. 

It is obvious thou that numbers are soaring in Europe and US...the duration of this trend is going to be interesting to me...and i honestly watch it very closely because i have gotten a decent amount of success trading options the last month or two. Covid is still being priced into Markets due to the steepness of the slope  and the repercussions and lockdowns and subsequent GDP  adjustments ahead.  Couple that with election concerns and questions about contested elections the market is at it's ripest for Volatility and a Black Swan'ish  event Since March for the next week or two..thou that would likely take some Contested election and riots to achieve in addition to the Rise of Covid. Also Global indicators like the Baltic dry index/ shipping index has fallen quickly in last 2 weeks to important support levels as well as OIL has really just begun tanking again as the dollar has rallied. The Fed decision after its two day meeting this Thursday  (to expand asset purchases) will play a sizable role in the end of the week market activity , thou the various  Fed Governor speeches (over 60 in last month)   have repeated the same low pitched  scream  "downside risks to the economy exist without continued fiscal stimulus" ..and they certainly do.  The Fiscal inaction since August.. during pandemic has been clearly documented as a driving force of this years growing Wealth inequality without stimulus as the hit has been (so far) to lower paying jobs on average,* fascinating how that isn't really a story , given everyone talking about inequality, guess the political donor class is doing quite well and is often just "acting" and the awareness of this via any media is low. 

The potential of the looming global economic crisis is beyond what most people can psychologically handle. The derivatives markets alone are economic suicide.   Faith based, fiat currencies, have a shelf life and the petro-dollar collapse is imminent.  Not trying to be a downer, just my 2 cents.

12 minutes ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

The potential of the looming global economic crisis is beyond what most people can psychologically handle. The derivatives markets alone are economic suicide.   Faith based, fiat currencies, have a shelf life and the petro-dollar collapse is imminent.  Not trying to be a downer, just my 2 cents.

That’s why when I had some extra money to spend I bought a house in the mountains with land. Seemed the most secure bet. 

12 hours ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

The 2000 year plus history of Monetary systems could fill a graveyard . Every type of monetary system has failed /crashed ..seen a economic traumatic event that required a “reset”.

Even gold backed currency inevitably saw  /kings debase it with other metals to expand monetary supply to bolster their chances  they wouldn’t be overthrown Or so they could grow their empire via expansion of money supply. 

This current one is extremely long in the tooth, I believe if people had an awareness that all monetary systems are inherently unstable especially interest bearing debt based Ones ..they would have a better idea of why this current one ..dependent on zero interest rates and bubblecoveries as well as perverse incentives Paid for by lobbyists backed by congress that lead to sort of a disaster capitalism and constant need to bouy asset prices now so that insolvency is not perceived ..and now we got the perfect fall guy or virus ...that sort of provides the political cover to fast track the inevitable A.I job heist of many industries as well as provides the pain necessary for many to clamor to the multi national Plutocracy for a “solution” which they already have .

It’s listed in a marketing brochure  From the world economic forum called the great reset . It’s out in the open if you have a awareness to look . It tries to market itself for citizen support on sustainability of climate concerns , inequality concerns and safety concerns .. leveraging and magnifying and Politicizing all these Things and takes a no nonsense approach to curtail the threat of critically thinking if we actually have much better approach to such issues and effectively radicalizes any deviation from group think quite successfully. Deviation from the generalized plan threatens not just  those who will profit but it’s perceived need to have the public demand change (as most realize change is not demanded unless there is a dire situation perceived) 

We are going to see a reorganization of the way we live , how people view their freedoms, as the transformation to the Technotronic era sees a huge push (Media will raise awareness of the problems and Soon solutions  as Covid is a very good crisis that will not go to waste.

Wether this ambitious idea for a sort of fourth revolution and defined Global socio-economic Era led by A.I , technology and green energy in a sort of dystopian trans-humanistic view is to renew growth from a current system that has been nearly exhausted  from debt saturation Prior to Covid .(can be successful) .is to be seen , wether there will continue to be no attention given to the Billion plus  third world and advanced country's new poor classes  suffering from hunger/depression/homelessness/death   which is tied to the virus and the  Covid anxiety filled responses and/or  a failure to have enough of a social safety nets in place remains to be seen. Just remember you are sort of lucky if your industry hasn't been effected so far. This isn't normal "lazy Jobless folks" . 

While easy to criticize and they should be as the wealthiest Often shape and organize  these transitions ..(.they are never pure of intention)  but ultimately maybe necessary in a world where we often Need to Choose Between many less than great options to move forward. 

Don’t worry I’m done on this .

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

New restrictions being implemented this Friday by Charlie Baker... seem like the first step in an inevitable path back to more closures like in the spring 

Not going to matter much-people are done with this and will still gather in homes etc.   Putting restaurants at 50% from 75% will do little except hurt them even more

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Brian5671 said:

Not going to matter much-people are done with this and will still gather in homes etc.   Putting restaurants at 50% from 75% will do little except hurt them even more

The home gatherings/parties are a significant source of spread, but it's obviously harder to control those unless you go into a draconian lockdown.

• Like 1