Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
August 2020 Discussion

Baroclinic Zone

21 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Thanks Jer. Living in the woods is a prerequisite with me. It’s calm and serene at times yet damaging and dangerous at other times. It offers great privacy and higher dews . Of course if the woods are all 90% Oaks, that brings another set of issues . Here’s the same shot this morning. Lawn def scorched 
s6njiGu.jpg

That does look rather dangerous. 

1 hour ago, weathafella said:

,I’ve always loved Kevin’s property...am partial to woods abutting it.   That influenced my decision to agree with the rest of my family to buy where we are now 5 years ago.

I misread this at first as "I've always loved Kevin's poetry" and quickly thought of "Ode to Dews," "A Few Lines Above a Downed Eversource Line" and "To Fescue my love"

His classic remains:

"I went out in the mornings dews 

To escape the suppression news

My sweet sweet lawn

Looks most lovely by the soft light of dawn

But an Eversource line was down

Laying near my remaining straight edged snow mound

the 'lectricity sizzled and fried

My poor fescue till it died 

revealing a brown straight streak

like a turd left by a bruin in the land of Powderfreak."

I am jealous as Kev's lawn when fried still looks better than mine at its best.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3
  • Confused 2

48 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Congrats Alex and Phin on the Euro?

6765BA10-B0BF-46CB-81B1-1B66A5A69131.thumb.jpeg.363f5a31ddec93625bc960d84208272d.jpeg

2"+ would be great but seeing is believing.  GFS shows about 1/3 as much and even its qpf has consistently drained away as an even got closer.  5 days out from this past Mon-Tues, GFS was showing over 1" - we managed to bag a "T" on one of those days. 

15 minutes ago, klw said:

I misread this at first as "I've always loved Kevin's poetry" and quickly thought of "Ode to Dews," "A Few Lines Above a Downed Eversource Line" and "To Fescue my love"

His classic remains:

My sweet sweet lawn

I am jealous as Kev's lawn when fried still looks better than mine at its best.

Well done Kevin and thank you, KLW for the forum publication. I look at my postage stamp differently now. As always ...

19 minutes ago, klw said:

His classic remains:

My sweet sweet lawn

Lol...well done!

17 minutes ago, tamarack said:

2"+ would be great but seeing is believing.  GFS shows about 1/3 as much and even its qpf has consistently drained away as an even got closer.  5 days out from this past Mon-Tues, GFS was showing over 1" - we managed to bag a "T" on one of those days. 

Not getting my hopes up. we know how these pan out

10 minutes ago, dryslot said:

Looks like it had spared the trampoline.

Yea trampoline needs to come down, branch fell and ripped the base during Izzy. April storm was one of the worst. Oct 17 was definitely scarier when I had all the oaks surrounding the house. Thank God I took down 8 trees. But being surrounding by forest on 3 sides is still pretty sweet. 

Screenshot_20200821-101050_Gallery.jpg

1 minute ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

We were out in Pete-country yesterday.  The Savoy/Cheshire area is so beautiful.  Some pretty nasty looking residences, but mostly amazing countryside and properties.  I hadn't spent much time there before.  Jiminy Peak is a pretty nice resort, too.

He's had back to back nights in the 40's there.

Just now, tamarack said:

46/44 Wed-Thurs here, 1st back-to-back 40s since mid-June.  About 10F milder with clouds this morning.

Didn't quite do it here, Had one, 47.3 yesterday morning, Looks like that was enough to get my beefsteak tomatoes to start to ripen though.

We need some DP/theta-e to re-pool and well up into the boundary layer ...if/when that happens, these next three days, today through Sunday ...could feature some entertaining cloud scapes. 

Crispy TCU days with some glaciation ...  I was looking at that the NAM and other guidance and the blend has a kind of BD or amorphously so stalling from upstate NY to BOS or SE NH... and that could support some theta-e pooling ... So SPC has Marginal hashed out and that's just about exactly what I was thinking too so...  

hey, something - 

Boy did the temp respond ... 53 was my low, just touched 85.... we could be over 40 diurnal today - not bad.  

• Like 1

I highly recommend if you have trees that can fall on your house get them removed. I know of 2 people that had huge oak trees fall on their homes in the recent storm. They are being told to find somewhere to live for up to 4 months. There is nobody available to fix them. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BrianW said:

I highly recommend if you have trees that can fall on your house get them removed. I know of 2 people that had huge oak trees fall on their homes in the recent storm. They are being told to find somewhere to live for up to 4 months. There is nobody available to fix them. 

Yup. I am having 4 cut down in the next couple weeks that are way too close. If I had my way, I’d cut every tree on my property within 200ft of the house. 

• Like 1