• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
August 2020 Discussion

Baroclinic Zone

I've been noticing a very subtle shift in the foliage towards that late summer tired green, but now seeing some yellowing on some crowns.  Very subtle and early, but it's not the uniform deep green anymore.  This is most pronounced in the 1500-2000ft elevation band for some reason.  This photo covers about that elevation range, with that dirt work road cutting through upper right side is at 1,800ft.

2L8A6580_edited-1-1.jpg.c7fd57f5a41147cf3bedc899bc78525d.jpg

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

8 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

I've been noticing a very subtle shift in the foliage towards that late summer tired green, but now seeing some yellowing on some crowns.  Very subtle and early, but it's not the uniform deep green anymore.  This is most pronounced in the 1500-2000ft elevation band for some reason.  This photo covers about that elevation range, with that dirt work road cutting through upper right side is at 1,800ft.

2L8A6580_edited-1-1.jpg.c7fd57f5a41147cf3bedc899bc78525d.jpg

Peak color Labor Day?

• Haha 1

Just now, powderfreak said:

It's always funny to notice the small early changes... and then it takes 6 weeks to get to peak.   Though in a month (late-Sept) it should be well on it's way.  Crazy how the summer is almost done.  Flew by.

I don't really want it to end. Hell awaits in the Fall. It's been a good summer all things considered.

• Like 1

Just now, CoastalWx said:

I don't really want it to end. Hell awaits in the Fall. It's been a good summer all things considered.

Agreed.  I'm really going to miss the evening hikes and just getting outside a lot with the impending darkness.  Once it hits a certain point I start going into the gym again after work for exercise instead of up a mountain.  Inside is a different animal in COVID world but we'll make due.

I just looked at some photos from past years, and it is crazy that in exactly one month we'll be seeing some legit pockets of autumn color up here on the mountains... like that moderate color stage.

1 hour ago, powderfreak said:

We have a wall unit but if I had window A/C units up here I would've pulled them out this past week to just allow the windows to be open and free.  No way am I leaving my windows all jammed up with A/Cs for the threat of needing them on a random day or two when the majority of the time you can just let the breeze in.  They look horrible too, not worth it for a random day or two in the NNE climo now.

Without A/C units, how do you plan on surviving Torchtember?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

Up in Jackson. 

Gonna take a stroll from Milan to Errol and see if I can spot a moose. 

Probably better shot of seeing moose then a dentists office up yonder 

If you've got an extra hour, heading on 16 east from Errol and onto 17 in Oquossoc and then south toward Mexico is good moose-viewing country, and the overlook on 17 at height-of-land in D-Town is wonderful.  17 hits Rt 2 in Mexico and thence west to NH.  Shorter but probably less moose-y would be Rt 26 toward Upton, reaching Rt 2 a bit east of Bethel.  (I never like straight back-and-forth if there's a reasonable alternative.  When my parents retired to Woodsville, NH and we were in Gardiner, we'd go west via the Kancamagus and east thru HIE and Gorham, turning south in Bethel then thru the Sumner hills on 219.  Saw moose in Sumner as well.)           

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Agreed.  I'm really going to miss the evening hikes and just getting outside a lot with the impending darkness.  Once it hits a certain point I start going into the gym again after work for exercise instead of up a mountain.  Inside is a different animal in COVID world but we'll make due.

I just looked at some photos from past years, and it is crazy that in exactly one month we'll be seeing some legit pockets of autumn color up here on the mountains... like that moderate color stage.

Just be glad you don't have kids to do remote learning, while both are working full time. You may find me in that moose bedding area come November. :lol: 

• Haha 1

32 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Nothing to worry about it staying warm and well AN thru at least October based on the global look . School another issue, but folks wanting endless summer are going to love the next 2 months overall , clear to Canada with all that warmth up there. 

27 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Nothing to worry about it staying warm and well AN thru at least October based on the global look . School another issue, but folks wanting endless summer are going to love the next 2 months overall , clear to Canada with all that warmth up there. 

Nah, many cools shots coming. Extended warmth is fleeting at best

5 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Raging hard on +EPO and AO and NAO.. warmth in Canada . It’s a lock to be above normal well into the autumn. Mets here all have even said it. Doesn’t mean fronts won’t come , but overall it’s very warm relative to normals. You’ll see I guess 

AN maybe but not a torch, I mean 70s with an occasional 80 iin September is fine.

12 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Raging hard on +EPO and AO and NAO.. warmth in Canada . It’s a lock to be above normal well into the autumn. Mets here all have even said it. Doesn’t mean fronts won’t come , but overall it’s very warm relative to normals. You’ll see I guess 

Positive EPO, say wut

download (30).png