Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Summer 2020 Banter and random observations

Baroclinic Zone

The snow climo is awful in PIT.

Jerry, you’d move back to Boston within a year or two. Lol. 

Total snow climo might be “similar” (PIT is maybe 3” less than BOS) but it’s horrendous for 6”+ storms and retention is awful. Not sure how quickly the snow climo increases in the suburbs. The airport is actually elevated outside the city so you probably get he opposite effect as Boston. If you’re anywhere toward the river down lower the snow gets less. In BOS, you get more than the airport pretty everywhere unless you are in a place like Hull. 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Total snow climo might be “similar” (PIT is maybe 3” less than BOS) but it’s horrendous for 6”+ storms and retention is awful. Not sure how quickly the snow climo increases in the suburbs. The airport is actually elevated outside the city so you probably get he opposite effect as Boston. If you’re anywhere toward the river down lower the snow gets less. In BOS, you get more than the airport pretty everywhere unless you are in a place like Hull. 

Pretty spot on about the snow climo. Elevation in and around the city does make a bit of difference like you pointed out about the airport. Although, there isn't any noticeable uptick unless you are moving into the Laurel Highlands (about 40-60 miles south east of the city). The mountains are in a much better spot for catching some good snows from coastal lows than the city. 

8 minutes ago, weathafella said:

Yup.  But I do like PIT.  Also northern VT but winters are too long...

I think the key for me, as I get towards retirement age, will be leaving for mud season.  March 15 - May 15 can be awful.  The snow starts getting to the point it's useless, hiking trails are closed because of mud and golf courses aren't open yet.  If you can avoid those 2 months, the rest of the year is great.

9 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

I'd do BTV in a heartbeat over PIT. What about near PWM Jerry? Cstl Maine is beautiful.

If gonna do BTV, get up and in. I’d not choose coastal Maine due to cold ocean, days of fog and cool in summer and horrific springs. Too many bad weather days from Napril - August. Near or north of North Conway would be the spot 

10 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

I'd do BTV in a heartbeat over PIT. What about near PWM Jerry? Cstl Maine is beautiful.

My sister lives there, she gets a lot more snow than I do and she's a mile and a half from the ocean. Just got back from there for a long weekend. That's where we're going to go I think. I might move a little more inland than where she is.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, dendrite said:

If I did western PA, Erie would be tempting.   You have a straight shot south to visit Pit or could head NE for Buff or W for Cleveland. Right by the lake too. 

Have fam out there... every time I visit in the summer it seems like we're getting some kind of nice dryish canadian airmass coming over the lake with a couple diurnally driven high based thunderstorms.  Pleasant.  And on the high end they're capable of a decent tor here and there, including an F4 on the same day as the Wheatland tornado 5/31/85.

Then there's the always the chance of 6-8' in the winter in a week.

3 hours ago, weathafella said:

Seriously thinking about a move to Pittsburgh. 

After your previous discussions on this weather-related forum regarding relocation, I immediately assumed you were referring to Pittsburg, NH.  It seems that they average more than 100” of snow a season.  Interestingly, the spelling of the town there is without the “h” at the end though.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DotRat_Wx said:

Local Storm Report by NWS GYX: 1 SSE Woodsville [Grafton Co, NH] law enforcement reports FLASH FLOOD at 07:30 AM EDT -- water is into the hospital operating room and multiple streets are flooded in the woodsville area.

My parents retired to Woodsville in 1981 and both passed while in that hospital and are buried in the cemetery about 1/4 mile up the hill.  Water must be charging down that hill into town, and I can barely imagine what the very flashy (steep gradient, little holding area like lakes/bogs) Wild Ammonoosuc is doing, other than living up to its name.  Hope it spares the Ammonoosuc Fish & Game clubhouse; it dates to the early 20th century.

Don’t discount idiots who think they would make good pets either. People have let them go when they got too much to handle. 

Some years before the CT roadkill a cougar was reported in Cape Elizabeth, just where one would expect to find one.  Hairs were recovered that confirmed it was a cougar but I never heard if any provenance was determined.  I'd say 99.99% chance that was a released animal whose butcher bill got too large.  A biologist co-worker (now retired - he's 4 years older than me!) said there were up to a hundred permitted captive cougars in the state and likely almost as many illegal captives.

IMO there is no breeding wild population in Maine though releases or wanderers from west or north might occasionally pass thru.  The plethora of trailcams plus the lack of any classic (hair scraped off, partially covered in sticks/leaves) cougar kills of deer or moose are negative factors for such a population.  Nothing is impossible, of course.  After seeing bobcats twice from my pickup during the late 1970s in northern Maine (it's all Canada lynx there now) I never saw another for 40+ years until one came sauntering down our road this past spring.

1 hour ago, weathafella said:

Yup.  But I do like PIT.  Also northern VT but winters are too long...

Consider parts of the Champlain Valley as it does not retain snow compared to the rest of Vermont.  You can observe this for a bit as you visit your daughter.

4 hours ago, weathafella said:

Lol...dead serious.  Same tax benefit for a lot of my income as MA.  About the same amount of climo snow as Boston.  Been many times and love the city.  Both MA and PA do not impose state income tax on SS and govt pensions which will likely be half of our income.

Taxes on govt pension and SS have to be given strong consideration so I fully understand why PA is appealing to you. Pittsburgh is a great city. Home prices in that area are far more reasonable than in Ma. Great area for hs,college and pro sports. 

4 hours ago, ORH_wxman said:

yeah if hes moving back "my" way, (which i also think he's tippin da sauce too much for considering)...I'd move to somerset/bedford/altoona areas just to the east.  They are lake effect regions.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, weathafella said:

We’re actually looking in Maine as well.  Maine is less tax friendly vs MA/PA but better vs VT.

Move to the Berks East Slope. Close enough to the hippy communes in Northhampton for your restaurant fetishes and top notch snow. You get your tax break 

53 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

Move to the Berks East Slope. Close enough to the hippy communes in Northhampton for your restaurant fetishes and top notch snow. You get your tax break 

Interesting thing is this pandemic cured me of wanting to eat out.  Simpler life which hopefully continues on the other side.  So you’re saying consider GC?