Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Summer 2020 Banter and random observations

Baroclinic Zone

3 minutes ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

No question that is a lion.  I know a retired DCR officer from Greenfield who told me the state knew of at least 2 different Catamounts in the Charlemont/Savoy area of W MA but he said the state nor feds would ever admit to it.  That was probably 8 or 9 years ago I had that conversation. 

Look at the paws on that thing. Yeesh

The only live cougar/mountain lion I have ever seen are the ones at the Squam Lake Nature Center.  They are gigantic. 
I really doubt Mass has any.  We have discussed this before.    Maybe but I doubt it.  Some people swear they see them but I have seen no evidence.  

edit:  I have no doubts that ME, NH, and VT have them so maybe they wander down

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kdxken said:

I'm guessing that picture wasn't taken in New Hampshire. If it had been it would be all over the news

Yeah I'm inclined to believe any authentic photos like that in New England, no matter when they were taken, would be known and talked.

No way that's an authentic photo of one locally in this region... your property would be crawling with Wardens, wildlife biologists, study groups, etc trying to find foot prints or scat to analyze.  It would be a very big deal.

Also the fact that the photo isn't relevant to this time period (I mean that's full on stick-season, but probably late winter as the leaves on the ground have no color)... the vegetation could be far NNE (more likely Quebec) but it also could be western North America for sure.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Yeah I'm inclined to believe any authentic photos like that in New England, no matter when they were taken, would be known and talked.

No way that's an authentic photo of one locally in this region... you're property would be crawling with Wardens, wildlife biologists, study groups, etc trying to find foot prints or scat to analyze.  It would be a very big deal.

Also the fact that the photo isn't relevant to this time period (I mean that's full on stick-season, but probably late winter as the leaves on the ground have no color)... the vegetation could be far NNE (more likely Quebec) but it also could be western North America for sure.

Don’t discount idiots who think they would make good pets either. People have let them go when they got too much to handle. 

3 minutes ago, weathafella said:

Seriously thinking about a move to Pittsburgh.   Buy a nice house for cash, nice city, nice area.  Anyone know the snow situation?  Climo seems similar to Boston 

Land locked disaster. Prone to torches. Maybe move well east in the Laurel highlands for LE snows..but couldn't pay me to live there.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, weathafella said:

Seriously thinking about a move to Pittsburgh.   Buy a nice house for cash, nice city, nice area.  Anyone know the snow situation?  Climo seems similar to Boston 

I’m going to go ahead and assume you’re drinking this morning. This can’t be real. Their climo is awful. Barely ever snows there synoptically. They get flurries for days and every coastal warm sectors them. I can’t count the number of times we are S+ and 19 and it’s 55 and partly sunny there as the primary cuts west of them 

1 minute ago, Damage In Tolland said:

I’m going to go ahead and assume you’re drinking this morning. This can’t be real. Their climo is awful. Barely ever snows there synoptically. They get flurries for days and every coastal warm sectors them. 

I agree, maybe a pint of Bailey's with his coffee.

58 minutes ago, weathafella said:

Fox Chapel is a beautiful suburb. If you like golf, Pittsburgh also has a ton to offer.

On 7/10/2020 at 4:30 PM, MegaMike said:

Yup! That sounds like you already have it installed. You can install/configure certain libraries and modules using conda (windows terminal) and pip (anaconda terminal) for Jupyter Notebook.

I faced similar issues when I first started scripting. Basemap took a lot of time to install/configure... Overall, it took me ~1 year of constant scripting to understand Python pretty well. I started with MATLAB, but decided to move to Python since the script is compatible w/Linux (plus all of the utilities!).

I'm sure you can find a Python class as it relates to meteorology, however, I learned Python best by writing script that I was interested in. My first script I created was 1) obtain GHCN-D snowfall observations then 2) identifying suspicious observations using a spatial outlier algorithm. The intent was to use it on observations that were provided by members of this forum so I can label weenies w/statistical support :devilsmiley:

That is a great idea! Hopefully I can get some time put aside soon so I can get back to this. I wish they taught Python at school but it was MATLAB and it wasn't really taught lol. Heck, even the intro programming (or whatever it was called) wasn't really taught. The class was just looking at Powerpoints lol. 

Lol...dead serious.  Same tax benefit for a lot of my income as MA.  About the same amount of climo snow as Boston.  Been many times and love the city.  Both MA and PA do not impose state income tax on SS and govt pensions which will likely be half of our income.

8 minutes ago, weathafella said:

Lol...dead serious.  Same tax benefit for a lot of my income as MA.  About the same amount of climo snow as Boston.  Been many times and love the city.  Both MA and PA do not impose state income tax on SS and govt pensions which will likely be half of our income.

Lol you drunk

• Like 1