Total Members
    Most Online
    Danny8
    Newest Member
    Danny8
MountainGeek

Tuesday 1/7/20 Disco snow event

1 minute ago, mappy said:

all good, friend! glad youre enjoying the snow with us!

Thanks Mappy! I'll forever follow what's happening back in my old stomping grounds. Hopefully I can get a job at Sterling and come back to the Motherland ;)

• Like 4

Temp has dropped from 40.4° to 37.6°. Still just rain. Not going to be much IMBY for this one. Congrats to all the ones that get snow. Enjoy!

4 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

Back edge to the W of Winchester should pivot/back build as it pulls out. SLP is deepening and drawing in colder air. 

that what I noticed

6 minutes ago, BristowWx said:

Heaviest of the day here. Pouring snow.  32.  Fatties  on top of fatties.  It’s obscene. 

AA7575CB-6DC1-4CA2-9315-1996FE08F7CC.jpeg

How do you keep the snow from sliding away?

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

Grass starting to cave.  Coming down nicely.  This would have been borderline WSW event if we had a respectable airmass.  

• Like 1

And I’ll still say that the concern over sun and lack of clouds this morning did translate to why some areas can’t flip. Going from 28 to 45 mattered with this storm. It did for me. 

• Like 1

Sometimes I think I’d trade living in the city for the snow of rural areas, then I experience running water and electricity and recall that I like it.

2 minutes ago, WxUSAF said:

Grass starting to cave.  Coming down nicely.  This would have been borderline WSW event if we had a respectable airmass.  

Tough to get a decent airmass this time of year.  

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, mappy said:

not at all accurate up here. it has never rained

13 minutes ago, MillvilleWx said:

I actually noticed that as soon as I typed that response. Weird that is was off up there. It's doing a great job south of I-70 at least. It's shaking off the rust :lol:. Enjoy the snow!

13 minutes ago, showmethesnow said:

Wasn't too good up in my neck of the woods as I started as snow and stayed as snow and yet it was showing rain past Gettysburg this whole time until just a few minutes ago. Pretty large margin of error.

12 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

Yea, could be proximity to the beam changes accuracy? Anyways, 100% snow and seeing some decent dendrites. Winds just turned out of the north. The mix line seems to be following the wind shift line. Makes sense. 

I’ve noticed that it sometimes struggles with lighter precip at the start of an event and in those cases will default to surface temps. I don’t know if it takes a bit to calculate or if light precip is an issue for its algorithm but it does much better with heavier precip once an event gets going.  

• Like 2