Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Winter 2020 New England Banter and General Obs

CapturedNature

2 hours ago, CoastalWx said:

It was a cold front luckily, but 50kts on those fires? Yeesh.

October 1947 in Maine - 25° cooler but same situation.  The CF turns winds from SW to NW, so that the fire's left flank (as one sees from in front) suddenly becomes the head.  Very dangerous, and since a typical large fire has wider flanks than its head, strong wind plus wider head often means disaster.

I read 500,000 animals dead, not sure how they came up with that stat but some of the videos are heartbreaking

Wildlife biologists usually make estimates of animal populations.  That plus burn area offers a very rough estimate of casualties.

• Like 2

I had this Barred Owl stop by and perch in one of my balsams for over an hour earlier today. Such beautiful and graceful creatures. I love how they can rotate their heads >270° as if it's on a swivel. It's not often I get to see an owl let alone photograph one, but I only tend to see them only cloudy winter days. 

82080756_2467275816717093_1843350403815571456_o.jpg

• Like 6

13 hours ago, wxmanmitch said:

I had this Barred Owl stop by and perch in one of my balsams for over an hour earlier today. Such beautiful and graceful creatures. I love how they can rotate their heads >270° as if it's on a swivel. It's not often I get to see an owl let alone photograph one, but I only tend to see them only cloudy winter days. 

Beauty 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, wxmanmitch said:

After a wind storm I had a baby one in my garage, it was sitting on top of my wife's car. Ill see if I can dig up the photo.

• Like 1

Just now, White Rain said:

Nice to see the so many Barred owls out there of late, amazing creatures. Good sign. Still waiting to see a Great Horned.

We have a Great Horned owl that lives near us...seen it a few times per year the past 2 years. We can hear it pretty frequently too at night.

20 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

We have a Great Horned owl that lives near us...seen it a few times per year the past 2 years. We can hear it pretty frequently too at night.

We hear a great horned on occasion but have yet to see one here.  Barred owls, and saw-whets during the milder seasons, make up 95%+ of owl calls heard around home.  On T-Day (or near it) we had a barred owl sit like Mitch's pic but in a hardwood tree for an hour or so until some blue jays mobbed it and it left.

Can’t call it deep winter at all but the one redeeming value has been snow on the ground for the most part since like the 2nd week of November.  

4” cumulative over past 48 hrs at home and only 6” total depth... but guess it’s white?  River isn’t even frozen.  Normally it’s just frozen with snow on it and animal tracks everywhere.

50EF4B2A-89F3-4049-8976-B24A94156F26.thumb.jpeg.d7e082df02117baf1d0129becafb0ba0.jpeg

• Like 3

3 hours ago, powderfreak said:

Can’t call it deep winter at all but the one redeeming value has been snow on the ground for the most part since like the 2nd week of November.  

4” cumulative over past 48 hrs at home and only 6” total depth... but guess it’s white?  River isn’t even frozen.  Normally it’s just frozen with snow on it and animal tracks everywhere.

50EF4B2A-89F3-4049-8976-B24A94156F26.thumb.jpeg.d7e082df02117baf1d0129becafb0ba0.jpeg

I was just thinking yesterday how moderate the temps have been this winter compared to the past few. There doesn’t seem to be many anomalous swings either way (cold or warm) when I feel like we had some big cold shots and then huge warm ups in recent years. It’s still early though.