Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Winter 2020 New England Banter and General Obs

CapturedNature

11 minutes ago, klw said:

The same bands hit me too.  6.5 inches here in W Norwich.  Mush of it in the intense squall around 6 or 630.  it was some of the worst visibility I have had driving with not wind factor.  I was trailing a tractor trailer on 91 and we were doing 25.  Visibility was maybe 50 yards.  It got where I almost could not tell where the exit was.  I didn't think I would be able to reach the house as I was in the Prius but made it to the bottom of the driveway.  The shovelling went like a snap as the fluff factor was fantastic.

I had 4 different periods of snow. The first 2 were with the squall warning. I had the first 2" in about 30 mins while in the covered run with the chickens cleaning up their daily mess. Then the next one came in which is the vid I posted. That was about a half inch, but halfway through the winds picked up to probably 30-35mph (24mph on the sheltered Davis). Then I snowblowed the driveway to go to the store and then came in to shower. That's when that streamer came through. That was another 2.5" in probably 30-40 minutes. We were running out of time so I just put the truck in 4wd and we left for the store. There was snow covered roads from my house all of the way to Market Basket in Tilton. I can't recall ever driving like 3" on the strip in Tilton. Then we hit another squall on the way home that dropped the additional ~2" I presume. Crazy night. It felt like one of those deformation bands.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, mahk_webstah said:

I mean it is absolutely dumping right now.  Like 3"/hour white out type snow.

Pretty incredible, yet the streamer barely shows up as a blip on the KGYX radar (looking northwest of Concord). Is that usual for these highly localized snow squalls?

2 minutes ago, Fozz said:

Pretty incredible, yet the streamer barely shows up as a blip on the KGYX radar (looking northwest of Concord). Is that usual for these highly localized snow squalls?

We're pretty far from GYX so the beam overshoots us quite a bit in these lower level precip events. You get drift below the beam too...especially with snowfall.

6 minutes ago, dendrite said:

We're pretty far from GYX so the beam overshoots us quite a bit in these lower level precip events. You get drift below the beam too...especially with snowfall.

Makes sense. I had that issue in Lancaster, PA, which was in between radar sites and didn't get the best signal. Incredible event nonetheless.

44 minutes ago, dendrite said:

Not uncommon for winter events to all be under 10,000 ft clouds. And you're like 7,000 ft on our beam.

2 hours ago, dendrite said:

That’s 6.9” with 0.25” water equiv. jspin special. Half will sublimate or settle by morning. Pack varies from 14-15”.

Telling ya when Windex hits on the rare occasion its magic. Soundings like that are so rare. Knew some lucky bastard was going to get smoked just not like you were. Holy shit

8 hours ago, dendrite said:

That looks like the streamer that dropped south from here.

It’s so awesome when events like that hit the non-climo favored areas.  Everyone is sort of numb to it when it’s JSpin, Alex or myself at the mountain.... but to get that there in central NH is awesome.

• Like 1

lol. I’m watching cocorahs obs come in on the east side of town of 2-3”. wtf.

I’m in CON now and there’s almost nothing down here. It almost doesn’t seem believable, but I’m strict when it comes to measuring and I’ve been doing it 25 years. Maybe Lisa can get some daylight pics. I will say there didn’t seem to be as much out by Market Basket...maybe 3-4”? And when we left it wasn’t snowing there. As we headed west toward downtown Northfield it was a whiteout again. So there were a lot of mesoscale things going on. Pretty wild to get wide ranges over short distances in this area. 

10 minutes ago, dendrite said:

I’m in CON now and there’s almost nothing down here. It almost doesn’t seem believable, but I’m strict when it comes to measuring and I’ve been doing it 25 years. Maybe Lisa can get some daylight pics. I will say there didn’t seem to be as much out by Market Basket...maybe 3-4”? And when we left it wasn’t snowing there. As we headed west toward downtown Northfield it was a whiteout again. So there were a lot of mesoscale things going on. Pretty wild to get wide ranges over short distances in this area. 

Dendrite with fake news obs?

40 minutes ago, dendrite said:

Ha..I was just looking at those Tilton/Northfield cocorahs obs, both like 2-3" like you said.  There was a 6.2" in Pomfret VT on Cocorahs which is to your NW in the same trajectory the storms were coming from, so there is some additional ground truth. Plus KLW said he had 6.5" I think.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, dendrite said:

I snowblowed 3-4” from the driveway twice. If it was fake it was a fake pain in the ass. lol

No different than a fake cold 32° and having to scrape your windshield.  ;)

Seriously, congrats on the snow...it's always special to get hit like that.  Happened to me once in the 90s.

• Thanks 1

I made a timelapse for a part of last evening with the streamer just to my south.  It's kind of hard to see  (best viewed in a dark area) but you can see the snow reflecting off the lights and the moon lighting up the top of the clouds.  We just missed the streamer but it looked like a bit of those lake effect videos.  Wish it had been daylight

https://video.nest.com/clip/c6343db4407748fb8ba9d5ff2ea45978.mp4

• Like 2

Mark, what did you end up with?

totally unable to measure.  at least 4 I think.  Just based on the visibility and rates for at least 90-120 minutes, I'd have to have 4.  But I think it was what you said - very different in different areas.  I was watching the bands and they were very narrow...you are on a hill and so am I.  Were there any obs from Franklin or even Andover, Salisbury?  The last band was about 45 minutes of heavy snow but the band was like a mile wide and 3 miles long.  It was on the radar just barely to my n and nw and I was getting slammed.  The yellows that went over you were epic and very localized.  Essentially lake effect snow.  The drifting this morning was substantial.

I added my 6.9" to the cocorahs map. The map is a little weird as it should be rotated clockwise about 20-30 degrees. There had to have been a weenie sliver of 6-8" going back to those Windsor county VT obs. The 7.9" is Danbury. They had 7.9" with 0.35" liquid which was a similar ratio to my 6.9"/0.25". Pretty cool.

image.png

40 minutes ago, wxeyeNH said:

I made a timelapse for a part of last evening with the streamer just to my south.  It's kind of hard to see  (best viewed in a dark area) but you can see the snow reflecting off the lights and the moon lighting up the top of the clouds.  We just missed the streamer but it looked like a bit of those lake effect videos.  Wish it had been daylight

https://video.nest.com/clip/c6343db4407748fb8ba9d5ff2ea45978.mp4

thats cool

1 minute ago, dendrite said:

I added my 6.9" to the cocorahs map. The map is a little weird as it should be rotated clockwise about 20-30 degrees. There had to have been a weenie sliver of 6-8" going back to those Windsor county VT obs. Pretty cool.

image.png

the heaviest band sat right over the Belknap/Merrimack line.  That makes total sense.  I imagine Boscawen town hall and SE Boscawen got way less than man.  It looked to me that I was the southern edge of the really heavy stuff...so basically corn hill road in Boscawen up to you.  I have a political meeting tonight on Knolls Farm Rd in Northfield so I'll tell you what I see up that way.

Yeah that’s awesome.  Sounds a lot like here when we try to describe to people the random gradients.  Could be advisory or warning snows at one place, then flurries at our Shaw’s Supermarket, then back to plowable snow in another two miles, etc.  

Stuff you don’t see in synoptic events.  Makes you laugh when someone gets upset because 10 miles away got a bit more than them...you can see that within a town in every event up here.