Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Winter 2020 New England Banter and General Obs

CapturedNature

2 minutes ago, wx2fish said:

Nothing official but my uncle in Andover said around 5"

Is it possible something was converging near the river?  Brian is not too far from the Merrimack and neither am I, but we both are on hills.  Andover is on a line a bit more for me I think and Danbury on a line directly to Brian given how the streamers were oriented.  I am the nw side of Boscawen close to Webster.

12 hours ago, dendrite said:

I added my 6.9" to the cocorahs map. The map is a little weird as it should be rotated clockwise about 20-30 degrees. There had to have been a weenie sliver of 6-8" going back to those Windsor county VT obs. The 7.9" is Danbury. They had 7.9" with 0.35" liquid which was a similar ratio to my 6.9"/0.25". Pretty cool.

image.png

For Brian, but also in case GYX is interested:

Very big differences in close proximity.

Got off at exit 19 on 93 and it looked like there had been a sizeable snowfall, consistent with 6-7 "  I could tell partially by how much snow had been plowed off the road and how much seemed to be on the ground on top of the existing few inches of sleetpack.

Drove up to Knolls Farm Rd towards the east side of Northfield and quickly it was clear there was less snow.  Probably 2-3"

Drove over to Rt 3 in Tilton to drive towards Franklin.  looked like a 3-5" snowfall

West side of Franklin near rt 127 looked heavier again 5-6" maybe and that continued to the north part of Boscawen.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Dr. Dews said:

I know NP claimed to have arthritis issues, similar to Phil Collins for ex., but you have to wonder if he had been battling cancer for a while too. He was a very private person, not sure he'd put that out there. Great drummer and musician. RIP

The Rush statement said he had been battling it for 3.5 years.  

• Thanks 1

Video from a late effect band that dropped 28" in 4 hours.

This is an average rate of 7"/hr which means it's very likely that at times the rates we above that number in the 8-9"/hr range and below that 7 too. I realize this is pure fluff probably 20-30:1 but in the video it really never looks more than 2-4"/hr rates, visibility looks to probably drop to 1/8th mile.

I would think at 7"/hr or more that vis would be reduced to near zero or just a couple hundred feet.

What do you guys think? I believe him, it's just the video isn't really reflecting those kind of rates (to me)

• Like 1

4 hours ago, The 4 Seasons said:

Video from a late effect band that dropped 28" in 4 hours.

This is an average rate of 7"/hr which means it's very likely that at times the rates we above that number in the 8-9"/hr range and below that 7 too. I realize this is pure fluff probably 20-30:1 but in the video it really never looks more than 2-4"/hr rates, visibility looks to probably drop to 1/8th mile.

I would think at 7"/hr or more that vis would be reduced to near zero or just a couple hundred feet.

What do you guys think? I believe him, it's just the video isn't really reflecting those kind of rates (to me)

Was this from that epic LE event in fall 2014 in the Buffalo area?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

Flag is 25 feet away and woods 50 feet during 6 per hour in Jan 15 blizzard 

0127150752a.jpg

0127150749a.jpg

Yeah that video certainly is not 7”/hr. We had times where we approached 5 or maybe even more last March briefly in some of the most intense snow rates I’ve ever seen and it was near zero vis. 

Fake effect.

I will say though that the super large dendritic LES snows tend to have higher vis for the same rates. Of course it's huge amounts of 30:1 fake fluff. idk about 28" in 4hrs there. Where did he get the 28"? Did they measure before every time they snowblowed? In a 4hr sample like that you shouldn't be clearing at all. So I have my doubts. 4hrs of 0.25" liquid at 30:1 would give you 7.5"/hr and 30". But again, by hour 4 the weight of that is compacting the earlier snow below it.

6 minutes ago, dendrite said:

Fake effect.

I will say though that the super large dendritic LES snows tend to have higher vis for the same rates. Of course it's huge amounts of 30:1 fake fluff. idk about 28" in 4hrs there. Where did he get the 28"? Did they measure before every time they snowblowed? In a 4hr sample like that you shouldn't be clearing at all. So I have my doubts. 4hrs of 0.25" liquid at 30:1 would give you 7.5"/hr and 30". But again, by hour 4 the weight of that is compacting the earlier snow below it.

Yeah that’s almost as bad as 7” in a snow squall. 

• Haha 2
  • Weenie 1

KBDL smashed it's previous record of 60F by 7 degrees, currently sitting at 67F

KBOS smashed it's previous record of 62F by 6 degrees, currently sitting at 68F

KORH smashed it's previous record of 58F by 4 degrees, currently sitting at 62F

KPVD smashed it's previous record of 61F by 3 degrees, currently sitting at 64F

• Like 1
  • Haha 1