• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
WxUSAF

@showmethesnow yesterday there was a trend towards a much more amplified system in the Midwest that was able to overcome the overall suppressive flow in the east. Especially the 18z run had that can't miss look coming out of the Mississippi valley. Then the gfs and gem went the other way 0z and 6z. Confluence has relaxed some but the trough is deamplifying and washing out to an extent as it comes east so if the system is weak and disorganized as it ejects it won't hold together well.  No idea if the overnight trend is real or just a hiccup. But disappointing given the trend yesterday. 

• Thanks 1

Mount Holly's thoughts this morning on the storm potential. Seems about right given the set-up and current model trends.

Saturday night into Sunday, aformentioned low looks to move
northeast passing off the coast south of the forecast area.
Forecast models have started to come in to better agreement but
since this is still several days away confidence regarding this
system is still only in the low to moderate range. Latest
indications are that southern stream shortwave will tend to
fracture apart as it gets pulled into confluent upper level flow
over the northeast. The result would be a somewhat weaker low
passing farther south than what the GFS and GEM were showing 24
hours ago. There will also be a surface high over Ontario/Quebec
feeding cold, dry air into the system and this could also
result in a sharp northern cut off in precip. The upshot is that
there is still a potential for some accumulating snow to occur
with the highest chances for precip being areas near and
especially south of the I-95 corridor.

2 minutes ago, Interstate said:

No one mentioned the FV3 this morning. Is it still the outliner being super amped?  I see TT is still catching up last night run. 

Looks relatively similar to 0z.  Still the warmest and furthest North of all other guidance.  Total precip is still only around .5.  I would figure it would be more with the more northerly solution.

9 minutes ago, Interstate said:

No one mentioned the FV3 this morning. Is it still the outliner being super amped?  I see TT is still catching up last night run. 

Looks better for DC compared to 0z. Still mixes but less. It's a little colder. Has most areas in the .50+ for precip.

Just now, Scraff said:

Sounds like similar issues to our December whiff? 

Have you noticed this issue has been repeating itself recently. 

Someone pointed out, as I had looked not looked at the UkMet yesterday,  we never truly had the agreement between the UkMet and the Euro.  To feel more confident you need ,or prefer them to be on the same page. 

Granted keeping your expectations in check makes sense, as we are just entering the better pattern.

psu had posted the CIPS analogs which were very, very encouraging for this event, but at this time the models are not moving in that direction, at least not currently. Little changes can yield some rather significant changes,

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, jewell2188 said:

Hope everyone enjoyed yesterday evening’s happy times...Here is when we start unraveling

in an event to not have this thread completely fall off the rails, if you (general you) are going to be posting analysis regarding how you think model runs, and/or the outcome of the storm will be, please make sure you have something to back it up. otherwise, posts like this will be deleted. 

TIA

• Like 2
  • Thanks 6

17 minutes ago, Scraff said:

Sounds like similar issues to our December whiff? 

It certainly bears some resemblance. The NS energy and associated confluence has always been a player for this event. One other feature that has been shifting over the last few runs of the GFS is the western ridge position/amplification. Less amplitude esp on the 6z run and the southern wave doesn't get as much dig in the lower MS Valley.

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, frd said:

I am hearing issues with confluence again, better organization, but more confluence pressing down.  

Ever so slightly more confluence...but negligible imo.  just run to run noise I think.  0z was just a little more consolidated on the h5 vort panel....  

ninja'd!

5 minutes ago, C.A.P.E. said:

It certainly bears some resemblance. The NS energy and associated confluence has always been a player for this event. One other feature that has been shifting over the last few runs of the GFS is the western ridge position/amplification. Less amplitude esp on the 6z run and the southern wave doesn't get as much dig in the lower MS Valley.

The good thing with this storm is the northern edge, as modeled, is significantly further north and puts us in the game for at least a light event.  With the December storm at this range we were not really modeled to get anything.  

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, C.A.P.E. said:

It certainly bears some resemblance. The NS energy and associated confluence has always been a player for this event. One other feature that has been shifting over the last few runs of the GFS is the western ridge position/amplification. Less amplitude esp on the 6z run and the southern wave doesn't get much dig in the lower MS Valley.

Good point, reading yesterday as well, not just the amplification of the Western ridge but the general tilting configuration of the ridge,  it had that configuration ( forget what model ) during one of the better model runs yesterday. First time I heard a reference like this, very interesting.   

9 minutes ago, DCTeacherman said:

The good thing with this storm is the northern edge, as modeled, is significantly further north and puts us in the game for at least a light event.  With the December storm at this range we were not really modeled to get anything.  

I was thinking the same thing.  And the December storm made a significant move north very late, so as long as were close, there's always some hope.

• Like 2

After a full day of model runs and pretty much every run on every model showing some accumulating snow, I’m not giving up at 6z 3.5 days out. The models are clearly struggling with the amplitude of the SW.  If and until we see a consistently modeled SS SW it’s hard to be too bullish or bearish at this time.

14 minutes ago, SnowGolfBro said:

After a full day of model runs and pretty much every run on every model showing some accumulating snow, I’m not giving up at 6z 3.5 days out. The models are clearly struggling with the amplitude of the SW.  If and until we see a consistently modeled SS SW it’s hard to be too bullish or bearish at this time.

Yes no reason to give up.  At least some light snow is in the cards it seems.  Just a hunch that when we actually need confluence at some point it won’t be there. 

• Thanks 1

I know there's some doom and gloom this morning but the precip that slides just south of us is very impressive. As long as we Do Not lose ground to the south over the next few days I think we'll be ok. If we get out normal north bump over the final 36 hours it would be a real nice event. The 12/9 Event had the northern extent in southern va at one point and moved significantly north over the last 36 hours. @psuhoffman  always talks about not losing to much ground to the south prior to the eventual north trend and I think this may be the case here.

gfs-ens_apcpn_us_22.png

• Like 5

20 minutes ago, Chris78 said:

I think the biggest issue is the confluence pressing down from the North. All 6z model runs had it further south than there 0z runs. In my opinion That's the least accurate part of the equation this far out in time. 

Pretty big difference in the how amped the system is as well. The Euro and GFS are almost identical in the HP placement and strength. The Euro has a more amped shortwave.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, clskinsfan said:

Pretty big difference in the how amped the system is as well. The Euro and GFS are almost identical in the HP placement and strength. The Euro has a more amped shortwave.

The weaker SS definitely doesn't help. I was looking more at the lobe that  drops down into New England at the worst possible time. The better runs had at further north or further west .

• Like 1

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic