• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
WxUSAF

2 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

Depends, I am not looking at precip at all...but just looking at the h5 and mslp the low is a little north of 6z, and its 1014 vs 1016, and the system did hold slightly less energy back.  But its only better if you compare it to 6z which was awful, going back to the runs that were really good its worse.  So depends what you are comparing it too...and what you are looking at.  

I was only looking at the H5 map... The confluence was stronger and the heights in front were slightly lower.

What we need is the NS to get behind the SS

Just now, LP08 said:

Very close to a much bigger hit though 111.

Yep, that is my take looking at the evolution.  It might not improve our ground truth this run but it took a step towards a bigger possible solution.  

Sometimes I like to not look at the precip because qpf is one of the least accurate model outputs and can be very fluky especially with the GFS and can bias my opinion of the run.  Just looking at the h5 and mslp often gives me a better view of what is going on without the pretty colors and clown snow output biasing it.  

• Like 1

Just now, WxUSAF said:

Interesting that GFS is showing the same as the ICON with a 2-phased storm for those of is from DC-north.  WAA snows provide 1-2", then a brief pause while the coastal forms and then we get into the CCB.  

I'd be thrilled with a long duration 2-4" with frozen ground. Not kidding or lying. Sounds like a great event to kick off a ku pattern

• Like 7

Just now, psuhoffman said:

Yep, that is my take looking at the evolution.  It might not improve our ground truth this run but it took a step towards a bigger possible solution.  

Sometimes I like to not look at the precip because qpf is one of the least accurate model outputs and can be very fluky especially with the GFS and can bias my opinion of the run.  Just looking at the h5 and mslp often gives me a better view of what is going on without the pretty colors and clown snow output biasing it.  

All I do is toggle the previous run at H5 (Learned over the years from here!). Hopefully not just noise at this stage and the slight improvements continue.

1 minute ago, Bob Chill said:

I'd be thrilled with a long duration 2-4" with frozen ground. Not kidding or lying. Sounds like a great event to kick off a ku pattern

I completely agree.  I'd love a warning event of course, but a cold powder event that's spread out over 24+ hours will be fun.  Bring it on.  

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, WxUSAF said:

Interesting that GFS is showing the same as the ICON with a 2-phased storm for those of is from DC-north.  WAA snows provide 1-2", then a brief pause while the coastal forms and then we get into the CCB.  

my only fear for those of us north of DC...this could be evolving into an all or nothing setup.  The coastal idea ups the ante BUT it could also rob the WAA and dynamics from the initial wave (or that could ride north of us) and then the coastal could be mostly a miss for places NW of 95.  That would be the doomsday scenario here.  Of course at this range its equally likely the coastal ends up slightly more amplified and is a hit for all.  I guess it depends on if your a glass half empty/full kinda person.  But this setup is higher risk reward.  

• Like 2

Just now, DCTeacherman said:

Total precip map is a nice jump north on par with the ICON.  0.5 makes it to DC. 

I think it was a great run. Same with last nights euro. The only thing that can kill us is a dry air pacman. Was supposed to happen just 24 hours out in Jan 2010. Models are better now but we're still d4+. We're looking pretty good.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

an there is still enough time for a slightly better evolution.  While the improvements were small, they were improvements.  Couple ticks away from a really nice kickoff to real winter.  Seeing the southern energy not get shred was a + to me.  Hp slightly less hostile in placement and down to 1034, while noise, still helps.  

Just now, Bob Chill said:

I think it was a great run. Same with last nights euro. The only thing that can kill us is a dry air pacman. Was supposed to happen just 24 hours out in Jan 2010. Models are better now but we're still d4+. We're looking pretty good.

Violently agree.  2-4 would be great overall.  I like the 12z runs so far.  Very nice

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

my only fear for those of us north of DC...this could be evolving into an all or nothing setup.  The coastal idea ups the ante BUT it could also rob the WAA and dynamics from the initial wave (or that could ride north of us) and then the coastal could be mostly a miss for places NW of 95.  That would be the doomsday scenario here.  Of course at this range its equally likely the coastal ends up slightly more amplified and is a hit for all.  I guess it depends on if your a glass half empty/full kinda person.  But this setup is higher risk reward.  

yup, was just thinking about this.  I'd rather go back to a juiced up WAA overrunning with a primary low in KY that transfers to the coast.  GGEM is more like this with about the same result given a weaker CCB from the coastal.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

So is this turning into a Miller B?

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic