Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
2018/19 Winter Banter and General Discussion - We winter of YORE

Baroclinic Zone

17 minutes ago, WxWatcher007 said:

Northern part of CT did for sure. Really impressive. Back at home we we were only able to get down to 4.0.

lol at the fake cold and snow comments

A calm -10F isn't that big of a deal. You dress for it and you're fine. It's not trying to force its way through the cracks of your house either. Crank that wind up to 20-30mph and even 10F above becomes tough to tolerate. idk...I mean I enjoy radiational cooling and the big cold numbers, but there is definitely a different feel between the two.

3 minutes ago, dendrite said:

A calm -10F isn't that big of a deal. You dress for it and you're fine. It's not trying to force its way through the cracks of your house either. Crank that wind up to 20-30mph and even 10F above becomes tough to tolerate. idk...I mean I enjoy radiational cooling and the big cold numbers, but there is definitely a different feel between the two.

Its why I was outside in a tee shirt with the dogs at 4 degrees last night. NBD, put even a 10 mph wind and it feels colder. However get to -15 like some did last night and its as real as it gets

Just now, WxWatcher007 said:

I still wouldn’t be tempted to apply the fake label to those numbers, but fair enough.

It’s kind of like a 98/50 day at HFD...it’s hot, but it ain’t all that close in sensible feel compared to 98/74.

We call that fake downslope warmth.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, WxWatcher007 said:

lol I can’t keep up 

Changing subjects...the NE melts almost put the Mid-Atlantic ones I curated for three years to shame. Some posters have been melting for weeks.

I don’t know whether to close the laptop or perform a wellness check :lol: 

We have a lot of spoiled brats here....SNE has been obscenely spoiled for snow recently that so many forget what it was like when we suffered multiple years in a row. Some weren't even alive or too young to remember stretches like that. It's like any Patriots fan born after 1990....they probably won't quite understand what they have until Tom Brady is gone and they don't make it to the Superbowl every year.

2 minutes ago, WxWatcher007 said:

Of course I come the year it’s almost an unmitigated disaster. I’m on my way back from a LES chase in Watertown and I’m not looking forward to seeing my backyard. I’ve almost completely quit looking at the guidance. 

The busts don’t get to me generally but this winter imby has been rough.

Yet the season isn't over by a long shot either...while it's hard to imagine in 2018-2019, the way SNE has been rolling recently (as in the past 20 years), it wouldn't surprise me if the interior puts up a couple 25-30-spots and Feb/Mar to salvage the season like 2013 did along the coast.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, dendrite said:

I am in the middle of going all out insulating my house. I was using a FLIR camera and the amount of cold pouring through cracks was insane Weds night. I couldn't believe what some air sealing and insulation could do though. The before and after with the FLIR camera is mind blowing in the difference.

20190130_063307-2016x980.jpg

For those into weather sealing/insulation FLIR makes a cheap infared camera for $150 that attaches to your smartphone now. This thing is absolutely amazing for summer and winter air leaks. You can literally see through walls. 

I could never figure out why my central air sucked untill I started looking around with the FLIR. Discovered the hvac hacks had the return connected right into the attic. The central air was sucking in 100+ attic air in the summer. 

199002-3b05257cc66601b22c1de59f1f5b1a6c.jpg

• Like 2

3 hours ago, dendrite said:

I've never read of someone trying to make an objective call on the way wind affects how much furnace/stove action is needed to keep one's home warm.  My completely unscientific guess is to increase HDDs one percent for each mph of wind, thus a day with temps 25/5 and 20 mph wind would make me load the stove like it's 15/-5.

We have a lot of spoiled brats here....SNE has been obscenely spoiled for snow recently that so many forget what it was like when we suffered multiple years in a row. Some weren't even alive or too young to remember stretches like that. It's like any Patriots fan born after 1990....they probably won't quite understand what they have until Tom Brady is gone and they don't make it to the Superbowl every year.

Ron Rust, Zeke Mowatt, 2-14 and 1-15 seasons.  Farther back, watching the John Hannah Pats, surely the best NE teams until B&B took over, losing out on a playoff advance thanks to a defensive penalty call nearly as egregious as the non-call in the Superdome last month.

This winter makes me think of a junior version of 2007-08, or perhaps that winter moved north about 100 miles.  Very few of the 20-odd storms that year included mixed precip here, while nearly all have done so this season, even as I sit 20" above my YTD average snowfall.  The pattern may be entirely of different origins, but the sensible wx bears a resemblance.

• Like 2