Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
2018/19 Winter Banter and General Discussion - We winter of YORE

Baroclinic Zone

19 hours ago, powderfreak said:

Same exact thing here.  Joint issues started with my last lab around 10 years old and she made it to 13.5 years.

Our black Lab never had much joint issues, but had a massive carcinoma taken off her liver at age 12 - vet said it had spread and "she might have one month, or six."  It was 14 months, so a real win.  She became an old dog after surgery - no more interest in chasing sticks - but was just as affectionate and tail-wagging as ever.  Had one bad day (we made plans for the next day to be her "final ride"), but found her lying in the hallway next morning, a favorite spot as there was always some love from passersby.  (She didn't like going to the vet. either, so "chose" to skip that.)

2 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

I’m outside. Helping in laws with project. Saw someone in shorts. It’s ending soon enough. 

It's interesting as a middle ager to sense the bending outlooks and desires as those under me also enter these years... 

Trust me ... tack on a nother 7?  You won't care a ratz ass one way or the other if it ever snows again ;)  Oh, you'll appreciate it when it does - but you wont pine or care that much at all any more when it doesn't. 

5 hours ago, mreaves said:

Every once in a while you see an antique like this on the trails.  I'm always amazed because there is absolutely no suspension on them  Its amazing that people rode those for miles and miles.  That was back when snowmobiling was a real adventure.

When I began my first forestry job in January 1976, the initial snowmobile caution was, "You can ride farther in an hour than you can walk out in a day."  Since our management area lay between Allagash Village and the PQ border, that was a serious consideration.

2 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

It's interesting as a middle ager to sense the bending outlooks and desires as those under me also enter these years... 

Trust me ... tack on a nother 7?  You won't care a ratz ass one way or the other if it ever snows again ;)  Oh, you'll appreciate it when it does - but you wont pine or care that much at all any more when it doesn't. 

Don't think Jerry and I have gotten the message yet.  :)

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

This is why we now love high heat and dews. You change and love them as you age and it generally starts around late 30’s/early 40’s

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

This is why we now love high heat and dews. You change and love them as you age and it generally starts around late 30’s/early 40’s

It happened a couple years ago with me where I can more easily flip the switch from winter to warmth. So yeah...around the 38 y/o mark. I still like me some winter, but come Feb/Mar I'm not longing for it. If we get a good storm or pattern, great. But I won't be drawing with the emo crayons with early springlike weather anymore.

8 minutes ago, dendrite said:

It happened a couple years ago with me where I can more easily flip the switch from winter to warmth. So yeah...around the 38 y/o mark. I still like me some winter, but come Feb/Mar I'm not longing for it. If we get a good storm or pattern, great. But I won't be drawing with the emo crayons with early springlike weather anymore.

Even the die hards like Will and Scooter and Jerry like it. Scooter texted last summer and I will never forget him saying he didn’t mind the high dews at all. It’s amazing how the mind and attitudes change as you get older. Ray is next 

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Even the die hards like Will and Scooter and Jerry like it. Scooter texted last summer and I will never forget him saying he didn’t mind the high dews at all. It’s amazing how the mind and attitudes change as you get older. Ray is next 

Once the kids leave the nest, you'll be buying a condo in Florida with all those like-minded individuals ;).  

I love the spring, that early warmth and longer daylight.  To me a lot of it has to do with the daylight.  

24 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

I said it didn’t bother me as much, but I still do not like it. 

18 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Once the kids leave the nest, you'll be buying a condo in Florida with all those like-minded individuals ;).  

I love the spring, that early warmth and longer daylight.  To me a lot of it has to do with the daylight.  

If I had my choice I’d winter in NH near Jackson and summer in coastal SC

My thing isn't exactly what Kevin's saying ...  

What I meant by that is, " I don't get strung out over missing opportunities" period. Like I said, I appreciate it when it snows... I just don't miss or feel some how deprived if things don't work out, or the models won't entertain us.. That's stuff actually tries my patience around here but that's an aside -

I can be totally blown away by an incredible 65 F day on February 4 ... and a week later, equally mesmerized by deep cryo bomb stalled on ISP ...  

I just like interesting things to happen period.  

Speaking of which ... 

I have lived through enough mid winters in my life to know this is highly unusual... Two years in a row? Even more so... 

It's not so much even the magnitude of the temperature - though last year's run in with this sort of thing ... obviously challenges physical description, it was so absurd.  But it's the way in which is got this warm...  

Typically, we have a deep Lakes bomb...with an intense WCB that's blasted a warm front thru with near saturated DPs and gales from the S. Like 58/56 then a ribbon echo squall. That type of storm is not as uncommon, regardless of all.. I can remember them in 1980s...1990s... ...etc.. 

What is disturbing is the laze faires calm wind with unabated sear sun shining ...with 65.7 F punch drunk bumble bees bouncing off car windows.  Last year's 70 to 80 days in there were the same way.. It wasn't a transport scenario in other words ... it was like in situ lewd warmth - not sure what I am saying is resonating in the reader or not... But it's different to smell pungent sweet at 11 pm on February 3rd, and rocket to 65 the next day, in full sun and light wind quiescence. If this was Feb 20th like last year?  I bet we'd -a made 73 today.