• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
2018/19 Winter Banter and General Discussion - We winter of YORE

Baroclinic Zone

@Ginx snewx You’d appreciate this. I Drove out to Harrsville WV, solo, to adopt a boxer who’s family went through a divorce. They gave the dog to the Richie County WV Humane Society. Wife saw her online and fell in love. Left Thur after work, stayed over in Hagerstown MD. Left early Friday morning, tried to beat the snowstorm....knowing I was heading west through the mountains. Well, the 3.5hr trip from Hagerstown on highway 68 turned into 6.5hrs. The most intense drive of my life, fanny squeezed tight the whole way as I stressed drove up and down elevation changes on the snow packed highway. Anyone who’s been caught in a snowstorm in the mountains without an AWD can attest. And if anyone knows that drive west on 68 from Hagerstown to Morgantown, it’s right through the heart of the Appalacians. SUV spin outs, crashes, trucks not able to make it to the top of the hills....I still can’t believe I made it in my Ford Fusion. 

When I get to Harrisville WV, it’s ‘different’. Tucked away on the backside of the mtns, just before the OH Border, it offers a nice perspective how diverse our cultures are within this country. Even with all of our differences, it had something to offer me and vis versa. 

The pup took to me instantly, in the car we went....a 9hr drive awaited us. Hit several bumps on the way back. Chose to head north to Pittsburgh instead, then east on 70/76. Frozen windshield wiper nozzles, pulled over for no lights on my rear license plates (salt overload). 12hrs later, back in CT....and yes, I would do it all over again.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

@Ginx snewx You’d appreciate this. I Drove out to Harrsville WV, solo, to adopt a boxer who’s family went through a divorce. They gave the dog to the Richie County WV Humane Society. Wife saw her online and fell in love. Left Thur after work, stayed over in Hagerstown MD. Left early Friday morning, tried to beat the snowstorm....knowing I was heading west through the mountains. Well, the 3.5hr trip from Hagerstown on highway 68 turned into 6.5hrs. The most intense drive of my life, fanny squeezed tight the whole way as I stressed drove up and down elevation changes on the snow packed highway. Anyone who’s been caught in a snowstorm in the mountains without an AWD can attest. And if anyone knows that drive west on 68 from Hagerstown to Morgantown, it’s right through the heart of the Appalacians. SUV spin outs, crashes, trucks not able to make it to the top of the hills....I still can’t believe I made it in my Ford Fusion. 

When I get to Harrisville WV, it’s ‘different’. Tucked away on the backside of the mtns, just before the OH Border, it offers a nice perspective how diverse our cultures are within this country. Even with all of our differences, it had something to offer me and vis versa. 

The pup took to me instantly, in the car we went....a 9hr drive awaited us. Hit several bumps on the way back. Chose to head north to Pittsburgh instead, then east on 70/76. Frozen windshield wiper nozzles, pulled over for no lights on my rear license plates (salt overload). 12hrs later, back in CT....and yes, I would do it all over again.

Glad you’re ok!  How’s the doggie?

3 hours ago, dendrite said:

Mid 20s feel like a sauna after the last few days. I'm really glad we didn't have that midwest nonsense.

Oceanstwx will like this one... Moline, IL was -33F at 7 am Thursday.  It was 46F at 3 pm today for a flip of 79 degrees in 56 hours.  They also picked up about 4" of snow while temps were below zero on Thursday.  

6 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

Oceanstwx will like this one... Moline, IL was -33F at 7 am Thursday.  It was 46F at 3 pm today for a flip of 79 degrees in 56 hours.  They also picked up about 4" of snow while temps were below zero on Thursday.  

I saw that Moline temp. Do they normally radiate that well?

17 hours ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

You the man Luke, great story for the memory bank. Post a pic of the pup. By the way thank you for saving a dogs life.

14 hours ago, Hoosier said:

Man, I saw that. I remember right before I left we had a nice Arctic blast and we were forecasting -28 at MLI. Our MIC and an el tech went to the airport with a back up to make sure the ASOS was accurate. "Only" got to -27 that time.

14 hours ago, dendrite said:

I saw that Moline temp. Do they normally radiate that well?

13 hours ago, Hoosier said:

They do radiate pretty well though obviously not to the tune of -33 lol.  The airport is located south of the main part of Moline and it gets really rural south of there.

They are definitely well situated in the Rock River Valley to radiate, but I wouldn't say they would be in the Nate Dogg and Warren G category like OWD or SFM.

Actually kind of wild that I'm neck and neck with DVN for snowfall on the season so far.