Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
2018/19 Winter Banter and General Discussion - We winter of YORE

Baroclinic Zone

1 minute ago, ORH_wxman said:

-23 at ORD. 5th coldest temp at Chicago on the threaded extreme site. Annihilated the daily record. 

Buuut....-10F at midnight. Cheap midnight high is gonna cost them a shot at the all time record low max. 

-24 at ORD. https://www.wrh.noaa.gov/mesowest/timeseries.php?sid=KORD&wfo=fgz&num=72&hfmetars=1

4th coldest all time now.

-27˚ on 1/20/1985

-26˚ on 1/10/1982

-25˚ on 1/16/1982 and 12/24/1983

-24˚ on 1/30/2019

9 hours ago, #NoPoles said:

I was rather surprised to read a headline saying the USPS is not delivering mail tomorrow in some states in the midwest because of the unsafe cold temperatures

I'm a mail carrier. It's a great decision. Alas, I'm the only one in my office that has to work today...because they still want collections done. Going to be not fun.

16 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

Fyi, the ORD official low was -23.  The NWS Chicago met who is a member here called the ASOS and the -24 reading on the 5 minute obs was a rounding issue.

Can you call the ASOS to get the official min? I think it just gives you the current temp unless the NWS as access to more data. Guess we'll see in a few mins what the 6hr min was.

Just now, powderfreak said:

You haven't hit -20s?  We've had some big cold in recent years, I would've thought you pulled a -20 something at some point.

He's on the side of a hill right? Bottom of his hill prob hit it a few times but unless you can really go basically dead calm, it's very hard to hit -20. 

• Like 1