Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
2018/19 Winter Banter and General Discussion - We winter of YORE

Baroclinic Zone

3 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

I know it. Best feeling ever. You are going to get crushed, just a matter of getting run over by a dump truck or a front end loader. :lol:      

That storm was stegnthening in a perfect spot too so as long as you were in the CCB, you'd get 20+ easy and not get screwed if you were just outside the fronto band...the exception was if you were west of the main meat of the CCB like once you got 10 miles west of ORH. 

It had a pretty large area over 24". 

Just now, CoastalWx said:

Feb 78 likely for single storm no? I'm not sure if Feb 78 happened and the late Jan storm combined would tip the scale for me locally. 

Even compared to the entire late Jan - Feb 2015 dumpage I would take 1978 in a heartbeat, from what I experienced.  I could keep up with 2015. I still got around and lived my life. In your hood it was more beefy.  

In Feb 1978 my world stopped for over a week.

1 minute ago, Jason215 said:

Boston area had like three 24-30” blizzards within 21 days. How does Feb 1978 rival that? 

If you experienced it you would understand.  

Also. I am not in the Boston area.  We didnt get clobbered as much here in 2015. I am also speaking from living in Foxboro in 1978.

Just now, HoarfrostHubb said:

Even compared to the entire late Jan - Feb 2015 dumpage I would take 1978 in a heartbeat, from what I experienced.  I could keep up with 2015. I still got around and lived my life. In your hood it was more beefy.  

Yeah you were close to ground zero.  I could understand your opinion for sure. 

Just now, HoarfrostHubb said:

Could be the case of better preparations, technology, and more man/woman power to remove snow nowadays. 

3 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

Could be the case of better preparations, technology, and more man/woman power to remove snow nowadays. 

Could be.  They needed giant National Guard front end loaders to dig us out in 1978...my aunt and uncle in Hull experiences the same in 2015.  Pretty amazing events

4 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

If you experienced it you would understand.  

Also. I am not in the Boston area.  We didnt get clobbered as much here in 2015. I am also speaking from living in Foxboro in 1978.

Gotcha. I was too young to remember 78 and I was living in queens at the time. We got much less. 

But given the fact the a big chunk of eastern MA got about 100” of snow in 3 weeks time was stunning. Not to mention they are not Caribou ME and near sea level makes it all the more impressive. Living on LI, we got less than half that amount, but I recognize how anomalous that  was for eastern MA. It was just so over the top. I would be curious to know what the record snowfall for Jay Peak, Stowe, Killington are for any 21 day stretch for a comparison.  I wouldn’t be surprised if Killington has ever beaten that. When it comes to snow, Boston spits on the rest of the megalopolis, LOL. 

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

I think for this area our biggest snowy stretch was 2010-11, from Dec 26, 2010 to Jan 26, 2011 we had two 20"+ storms, and a third storm that was close to a foot of snow, also 20" to the east of here.  Largest snow depth I've ever seen as well as snow staying on the ground for 3 months which is unprecedented for here.  We had 60" of snow over a 30 day period. La Nina after El Nino is the best bar none!

8 hours ago, Jason215 said:

Gotcha. I was too young to remember 78 and I was living in queens at the time. We got much less. 

But given the fact the a big chunk of eastern MA got about 100” of snow in 3 weeks time was stunning. Not to mention they are not Caribou ME and near sea level makes it all the more impressive. Living on LI, we got less than half that amount, but I recognize how anomalous that  was for eastern MA. It was just so over the top. I would be curious to know what the record snowfall for Jay Peak, Stowe, Killington are for any 21 day stretch for a comparison.  I wouldn’t be surprised if Killington has ever beaten that. When it comes to snow, Boston spits on the rest of the megalopolis, LOL. 

2010-11 was the best we could do, that was 60 inches over 30 days with two 20" storms and one other storm that was close to that.  Snowcover lasted for three months too!

10 minutes ago, moneypitmike said:

Anyone have recommendations for home security (aside from Smith & Wesson)? 

Need to get one for the new digs.  Kind of a 'welcome to your new life' situation.

There are so many cheap diy options now where you just install all the wireless sensors yourself. I think Simplisafe is the more poular one. 

I would definitely install outdoor motion cameras. I have Ring floodlight cameras and love them. I used mine just recently when my camera went off late at night when I was away and some kids were acting suspicious looking into my cars. You can activate at 130db siren on it. Scares them away real quick. 

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, moneypitmike said:

Anyone have recommendations for home security (aside from Smith & Wesson)? 

Need to get one for the new digs.  Kind of a 'welcome to your new life' situation.

We have Vivint. They provide free installation which beats their DIY install competitors. I like their system and their app is user friendly and reliable.

• Like 1

On 1/26/2019 at 5:52 AM, LibertyBell said:

2010-11 was the best we could do, that was 60 inches over 30 days with two 20" storms and one other storm that was close to that.  Snowcover lasted for three months too!

Agree. That was total insanity for us!  We essentially had 5 blizzards between the winters of 2009/10 and 2010/11. In the 80s we would get 1 blizzard every 10 years. I think we get something big before winters over. I say that because some highly skilled posters/forecasters on this forum are still optimistic about Feb and I haven’t seen any of them jump ship yet to say it’s over. 

• Like 1

Just now, Jason215 said:

Agree. That was total insanity for us!  We essentially had 5 blizzards between the winters of 2009/10 and 2010/11. In the 80s we would get 1 blizzard every 10 years. I think we get something big before winters over. I say that because some highly skilled posters/forecasters on this forum are still optimistic about Feb and I haven’t seen any of them jump ship yet to say it’s over. 

That was more like an 1800s winter where according to old weather books both NYC and Philly had some winters with 100" of snowfall and constant snow cover from November to March.

1 hour ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

We have Vivint. They provide free installation which beats their DIY install competitors. I like their system and their app is user friendly and reliable.

Thanks.  From what I read, that’s recommended for smart houses.  I’m not exactly sure what that means, but I’m pretty sure this house isn’t smart.  I know for certain the new owner isn’t.

• Haha 1