Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
2018/19 Winter Banter and General Discussion - We winter of YORE

Baroclinic Zone

2 hours ago, 512high said:

Dom, I thought that was mostly south of ASH? Maybe a repeat of today for us on Saturday? (or more?)

I hope it ends up as a 1-3'' job that salt nukes and there's no impact. I have a bunch of stuff going on Saturday and I have no time for a warning event. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, MetHerb said:

I was looking through some footage from one of my game cameras and I had a clip from earlier in the week with all the wind that I just had to share.  I know we're always posting pictures of fallen over chairs in the wind but check this out:

lol

stay strong. T&P to you and your family 

10 hours ago, Lava Rock said:

Imagine crossing that road on the sled. Yipee

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

A guy I know was riding the north shore of the St. Lawerence, northeast of Quebec City in this last storm. It got so bad they couldn’t ride in the trail and since the road was closed to non-emergency auto traffic, the police let them ride the road. They did 120 miles of road riding in one day. He posted in the New England Sled Talk FB group as the Winter Traveller. Was quite an adventure. 

A guy I know was riding the north shore of the St. Lawerence, northeast of Quebec City in this last storm. It got so bad they couldn’t ride in the trail and since the road was closed to non-emergency auto traffic, the police let them ride the road. They did 120 miles of road riding in one day. He posted in the New England Sled Talk FB group as the Winter Traveller. Was quite an adventure. 
Wow, that's crazy. Been trying to get on that FB page but can't

23 hours ago, Lava Rock said:

Imagine crossing that road on the sled. Yipee

Imagine driving that road during the winds - not fun.
Some snomo trails closed in N. Maine due to too much snow.  Groomer operators who've gotten one track off the previously groomed trail have gotten thoroughly stuck.  CAR was reporting 43" a couple days back; but it's probably that "low" because they're on a hilltop where the stuff blows away.  I'd guess there's 5-6 feet in the woods. 

9 hours ago, tamarack said:

Imagine driving that road during the winds - not fun.
Some snomo trails closed in N. Maine due to too much snow.  Groomer operators who've gotten one track off the previously groomed trail have gotten thoroughly stuck.  CAR was reporting 43" a couple days back; but it's probably that "low" because they're on a hilltop where the stuff blows away.  I'd guess there's 5-6 feet in the woods. 

A friend was in southern Quebec at about the same latitude as CAR... looks like there's some snow.

IMG_2424.JPG

IMG_2425.JPG

• Like 2

21 hours ago, powderfreak said:

A friend was in southern Quebec at about the same latitude as CAR... looks like there's some snow.

IMG_2424.JPG

IMG_2425.JPG

It looked like that and better in 2008.  I remember the snow piles in peoples front yards were up to their second floor roofs.  Many places along the roads were 6-10' banks.  That was in April...after several weeks of melting. 

Terrible situation in the South with the severe weather outbreak associated with our storm. I was streaming a local station down there and had TWC on the TV when the EF4 was rolling along and I remember saying that I hope everyone got info on the warnings. Apparently not with 23 dead :unsure:

4 hours ago, BombsAway1288 said:

Terrible situation in the South with the severe weather outbreak associated with our storm. I was streaming a local station down there and had TWC on the TV when the EF4 was rolling along and I remember saying that I hope everyone got info on the warnings. Apparently not with 23 dead :unsure:

There was solid lead time on the warnings. Unfortunately, when dealing with something so intense there is just nothing you can really do except hope and pray. The monster tore right through the community. You have to wonder too about the structure of the buildings and how safe those folks really were in their basements, closets, or wherever it was they took shelter. 

3 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

There was solid lead time on the warnings. Unfortunately, when dealing with something so intense there is just nothing you can really do except hope and pray. The monster tore right through the community. You have to wonder too about the structure of the buildings and how safe those folks really were in their basements, closets, or wherever it was they took shelter. 

I don't think there were many basements where those storms went through. 

And we might get to do it all over again Saturday into Sunday.

2 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

From looking at the damage photos it didn't really look like there were basements...seems like most people may have been hiding out in closets...at least based on some of the interviews I've seen from people. Seems like most of the buildings may have been rather old too? 

Yeah Saturday doesn't look rather pretty. Mentioned that at work yesterday. Looks like yet another blizzard for the upper-Midwest too. But, that's some significant moisture return being modeled beneath an EML with lapse rates > 8 C/KM.....yikes. 

I hate this time of year (and the fall) and I hate MOS. Now we're getting into the time of year where MAV/MET data can be worlds apart. For example, MAV has FSD getting only into the mid-teens for a high tomorrow, however, MET pumps them into the mid 20's......AHHHHHH. One day last week there was like a 15F difference at AFW. 

2 hours ago, weatherwiz said:

There was, which made it so shocking to me that so many died. It went through a lot of forested areas for the most part but from the pics and videos I saw, I couldn't tell if there were basements or not. One would think there would be in Alabama for situations like this alone but if it hit much older homes and/or trailers then yeah, they wouldn't have much cover.

Another factor might have been the second tornado that seemed to go right over the same exact track as the first big EF-4. This one was a lot smaller but maybe caught people off guard as communications surely would have been cut off from damage by the the first tornado.

Either way, a 23 death toll seems very high for such an unpopulated area that it hit. I realize not all 23 were from the single EF-4 in East Alabama but the majority were.

2 hours ago, OceanStWx said:

Watching on TV, did not look like any basements at all, and reporter made the comment that the area into AL and GA had a high Concentration of mobile homes...what a horrible combination 

2 minutes ago, BombsAway1288 said:

There was, which made it so shocking to me that so many died. It went through a lot of forested areas for the most part but from the pics and videos I saw, I couldn't tell if there were basements or not. One would think there would be in Alabama for situations like this alone but if it hit much older homes and/or trailers then yeah, they wouldn't have much cover.

Another factor might have been the second tornado that seemed to go right over the same exact track as the first big EF-4. This one was a lot smaller but maybe caught people off guard as communications surely would have been cut off from damage by the the first tornado.

Either way, a 23 death toll seems very high for such an unpopulated area that it hit. I realize not all 23 were from the single EF-4 in East Alabama but the majority were.

Now they are dealing with some anomalously cold temperatures and no power. 

4 minutes ago, BombsAway1288 said:

I'm guessing that many of those properties were on the older side and didn't have basements (for whatever reasons). 

Your second paragraph makes a great point...didn't even think of that. That most certainly could have been a major factor/contributor.