Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
2018/19 Winter Banter and General Discussion - We winter of YORE

Baroclinic Zone

14 minutes ago, Lava Rock said:

Take em down. How many storms have we overperformed this season? Maybe one? Decent growth now, but expecting changover by noon. 30.6

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

9 minutes ago, dryslot said:

My thinking was 2-4" anyways so that would fit the bill, I really didn't see where 4-6" was coming from, Modeling didn't have it except the Euro, And that was 4" or so,  HRRR has been around 3"

Shocked but then again not shocked we jumped so quickly to warnings in a storm with a lot of red flags. We keep ignoring Bruce Willis waving us off.

Gorgeous cotton balls right now, but the kind that tell you the warm layer is creeping ever closer.

2 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

Shocked but then again not shocked we jumped so quickly to warnings in a storm with a lot of red flags. We keep ignoring Bruce Willis waving us off.

Gorgeous cotton balls right now, but the kind that tell you the warm layer is creeping ever closer.

Yup, DBZ returns spiked up and so didn't the flake size...........lol, Back side winds look to be the bigger player in this.

1 minute ago, tamarack said:

About 2" new, but last 3 hours have been teeny snow grains with <1/2" accum.  Radar upstream isn't very promising; GYX map has us in the 6-8" color (down from 8"+ this morning) but we'll do well to reach 4" unless something blossoms to our SW.

Exactly the same for me.  Moderate snow grains at times.  Temp still drifting down 31.1F   Heavier echoes about to move in, I would guess freezing rain.

gyx_zpsrto5cjed.png

I mean it looks like a well collaborated map, but BTV's winter weather advisory is for tomorrow and tomorrow night while ours is currently in effect. And the wind advisories on the Maine coast are from completely opposite wind directions when you switch from GYX to CAR (we are NW flow and CAR is SE flow). :lol:

I never mixed out here today ahead of the cold front, 31.8° F with fog and freezing drizzle. The high so far is 32.1° F and there's still around 0.3" of glaze on everything from earlier. 

I'll probably briefly spike when the front passes, but with the glaze still on the trees and big wind there could be a lot of issues around here. At least I have backup power now...

31.9F  Light snow.  Snow this morning became moderate snow grains with blowing snow most of the day. Only 2" of very dense snow. Temp finally made it to 32.4F at 4pm before falling back.  Snow grains went to freezing rain by mid afternoon and briefly plain rain.  Sleet showers by early this evening now over to very light snow.  Icy, snowy mess.  Snow banks along the roads are really high.

Bring on the wind...

• Like 1

This is a fun Winter Weather Advisory for the upslope portion of the storm... I have my doubts on the snowfall as the wind field looks too strong for well developed upslope but still, a 3-6" Advisory with winds gusting to 55mph is a fun statement.

NYZ029>031-034-VTZ003-004-006-007-251100-
/O.NEW.KBTV.WW.Y.0014.190225T0000Z-190226T0400Z/
Southeastern St. Lawrence-Southern Franklin-Western Clinton-
Western Essex-Orleans-Essex-Lamoille-Caledonia-
Including the cities of Star Lake, Saranac Lake, Tupper Lake,
Dannemora, Lake Placid, Newport, Island Pond, Johnson, Stowe,
and St. Johnsbury
245 PM EST Sun Feb 24 2019

...WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY IN EFFECT FROM 7 PM THIS EVENING TO
11 PM EST MONDAY...

* WHAT...Snow expected. Total snow accumulations of 3 to 6 inches
  expected. Winds gusting up to 55 mph.

* WHERE...The northern Adirondacks of New York and the northern
  Green Mountains in northern Vermont.

* WHEN...From 7 PM this evening to 11 PM EST Monday.