Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
August 2018 Discussions & Observations Thread

Rtd208

19 hours ago, bluewave said:

LGA is doing fine. It is located in one of the warmest parts of NYC. So it is supposed to have some of the highest temperatures. LGA seems to alternate with EWR on which station has the highest temperatures. Some summers with different wind flow and humidity EWR has higher temps than LGA. Did you know that Central Park often had more 90 degree days than LGA before the 1996 sensor move in Central Park. That was when the Central Park thermometer was in the open like all sensors are supposed to be.

This summer the highest temperature departures have been located north and east of NYC closer to the strongest upper ridging. Notice how similar the temperature rankings are for these areas north and east of NYC. Areas south and west of NYC have been cooler where there have been more clouds and rain along with onshore flow.

August average temperatures and rankings through the 20th:

LGA....81.3...#4th warmest

ISP.....77.7....#3

BDR....78.7....#1 warmest August 1-20 on record

HPN....76.5....#4

mon2day.gif.8f2cf0e33041bb090d0782bef65532e5.gif

I don't disagree with you on LGA.

I've been following Central Park ever since I was a small child and the "official" NYC obs were moved from the Battery to Central Park in 1960. I remember being very happy at the time since the summer of 1960 had just concluded as the first summer in recorded history without a 90 degree reading. Tops at the Battery was 89. However, the Park did reach 91 that year so NY was saved the ignominious fate of going through a year without officially reaching 90. During the years there were ups...May 19, 1962 (99), April 1976 (96) and of course July 1966. I recall being somewhat surprised on July 3 when the highs I believe were NYC 103, EWR 103, JFK 104 (strong NW wind all day) and LGA 107. It was unusual at the time for LGA to be so far out in front of the rest. Possibly the NW wind. There were also downs. I remember staying up all night in late Aug. 1986, listening to the hourly reports on the radio, to see if the temperature would fall below 50 for the first time ever during July or August. It did not. During most of this time, though, there was never an issue of NYC not being a valid proxy for Manhattan.

I did not pay much attention to the ASOS thing in 1996 and first really noticed it during the early 2000s. On July 31, 2009 there was an article in the NY Times lamenting the cool summer thus far and that it had not exceeded 86 during all of July. Well, the summer was certainly well below normal but LGA recorded days of 87,87,88 and 89 (on the day of the article). No big deal really except to illustrate how what is being viewed as reality is actually based on a false premise. This year, when it comes time to review the summer, the media will probably report the fifteen (maybe a few more) 90+ days at NYC and draw conclusions from that. I will be pleasantly surprised if they mention the 30+ (maybe close to 40 when all is said and done) 90+ days at LGA and discuss the foliage issue. I would be even more pleasantly surprised if this finally motivates Upton to correct this situation.  

• Like 2

Next 8 days averaging 78degs., or about 5degs. AN.

Month to date is  +2.4[78.1].    Should be +3.0[78.1] by the 30th.

850mb. T's reaching their nadir for the next 15 days tomorrow[10C].   A solid 5 days[8/28-9/02] near 18C, then induced troughyness takes it down to a near normal 12C in first week of Sept.

RWTT still has the next 90 days at +2F to +3F, seemingly with few breaks.   Really, just eastern Canada and Greenland look BN in the hemisphere during the period.

CFS has weak system along EC during week 2 in Sept , leading to a cutoff 500mb low over us by mid Sept.

35 minutes ago, ForestHillWx said:

Well over an 1" out this way. I lost track of how much we have received since this pattern started in July. 

Safe to say this is the greenest my yard has looked for the later part of August in quite a while. 

Still mowing once a week to keep up with the lawn. 

Yeah last night was a soaker.  Been a very wet Summer indeed, and I agree about the lush vegetation.  Back part of the yard would be a "jungle" if I didn't constantly keep up with the weed whacking.  Like doncat said though, looks like we finally dry out over the next week and perhaps beyond.

• Like 1

Closest local mesonet site has .75" for last night but the 3 closest WU sites all have well over 1", they are between 1.3 and 1.48". I know it rained steadily for several hours with a few embedded heavier periods but I am surprised to see it so far above 1". Unfortunately KDXR didn't report any rain at all but does have ~5-6 hours of rain in their observations so that station is useless (again). 

I'm really looking forward to things drying out here over the next week or so :) 

6 hours ago, NJwx85 said:

I see it poured at home. I guess some things never change. Glad I turned off my sprinklers before I left.

I made the mistake of leaving mine on (and actually slightly increased the duration for each zone) while I was away in Scotland in mid July.  I’ve had the whole system off since I got back. That’s the longest by far I haven’t had to water in summer. Almost thought about turning them on again if it didn’t rain last night- but it did. 

8 hours ago, mjr said:

On July 31, 2009 there was an article in the NY Times lamenting the cool summer thus far and that it had not exceeded 86 during all of July. Well, the summer was certainly well below normal but LGA recorded days of 87,87,88 and 89 (on the day of the article).

I would kill to have more summers like that one. Absolutely beautiful for all of June and July. August was back to normal but it was my all-time favorite summer. Also had an EF2 touch down about 20 miles from me that summer, which qualifies as interesting in Pennsylvania.

17 minutes ago, Gravity Wave said:

I would kill to have more summers like that one. Absolutely beautiful for all of June and July. August was back to normal but it was my all-time favorite summer. Also had an EF2 touch down about 20 miles from me that summer, which qualifies as interesting in Pennsylvania.

June-July 2009 and February 2015 were the rare extreme cold outliers over the last 10 years.

1 hour ago, Gravity Wave said:

Rained here most of June.   Really sucked.   July was cool and dry like you said and August had 4 weeks of humid/warm, it's like the opposite of a warm winter where you get 2-3 weeks of cold and that's it...guess it's the summer version of that.

1 minute ago, JustinRP37 said:

I wouldn’t use the term ‘colder’. I’m thinking maybe ‘cooler’ would be the more likely term for September. I’m thinking September as a whole is still +1.5 - +3.0 as a whole. 

Pretty safe bet at this point. Offshore water temps are way above normal which has a positive feedback with our weather. 

Just now, NewYorkweatherfan said:

Oh stop crying summer will be over get over it. Winter and snow is on its way. 

I’m not crying at all. I actually enjoy winter and summer. Fall is ranked 3rd and spring would be ranked at infinity terrible.  All I am saying is there is nothing screaming “Fall” or first frost that I can see. 

1 minute ago, JustinRP37 said:

I’m not crying at all. I actually enjoy winter and summer. Fall is ranked 3rd and spring would be ranked at infinity terrible.  All I am saying is there is nothing screaming “Fall” or first frost that I can see. 

Dude fall doesn’t really come here until October usually so you are getting ahead of yourself. All I’m saying is colder air is going to invade us in two weeks or so. No frost till October. 

2 minutes ago, NewYorkweatherfan said:

Oh stop crying summer will be over get over it. Winter and snow is on its way. 

But those warm SSTs can work to our advantage in winter. However, one thing I have always found odd is how many people on weather forums say they love the snow, but then don’t ski, board, snowshoe, ride on snowmobiles, etc. All that matters to so many is that we reach above our seasonal snow average, like last year. I personally don’t care how much snow we get as long as it STAYS for more than 24 hours. I hated getting those huge storms and just sadly watched it all melt in a few days. Best winter was a few years ago when it didn’t melt and kept piling up. 

1 minute ago, NewYorkweatherfan said:

Dude fall doesn’t really come here until October usually so you are getting ahead of yourself. All I’m saying is colder air is going to invade us in two weeks or so. No frost till October. 

I realize that. Looking at recent history sometimes “fall” weather doesn’t even arrive until November. All I was joking about was the use of “cold”. It will be cooler yes. But again, I don’t see anything that is really below average. Nobody calls 70s and upper 60s in September “cold”. 

13 minutes ago, JustinRP37 said:

I realize that. Looking at recent history sometimes “fall” weather doesn’t even arrive until November. All I was joking about was the use of “cold”. It will be cooler yes. But again, I don’t see anything that is really below average. Nobody calls 70s and upper 60s in September “cold”. 

last year it was cooler in early september than it was most of october