Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
August 2018 Discussions & Observations Thread

Rtd208

10 hours ago, mjr said:

2015 was interesting in that during Aug. and Sept., NYC actually equaled or exceeded LGA and EWR in terms of heat and 90+ temps.

Possibly a result of a relatively dry summer or else a massive defoliation.

Yeah that's impressive.  Overall I think the sensor should be relocated to an area better suited for weather observations.

3 hours ago, psv88 said:

Damn. 85/72 here. With the lower sun angle my station is almost completely in the shade, so its running a bit low. I also cleared a ton of brush away from it this weekend, was like a rain forest. 

It’s close to impossible to get a perfect siting (no excuse for KNYC though), my station’s biggest issue is wind direction/speed, it’s rarely ever accurate due to obstructions.

Down to 88 here from a high of 91. 2nd heat wave of the summer looking likely.

15 minutes ago, psv88 said:

Another normal August day where Westhampton Beach (88) and Islip (89) record higher highs than Central Park. Egregious.

I’m in Manhattan right now and just left Long Island. I can promoe you it feels several degrees warmer here. I’m on 116th and broadway so not even the heart of midtown. This is getting out of control and it infuriates me to no end. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Gravity Wave said:

The CFS Weeklies are suggesting that the AN temps and high dews will fade after September 10th, and the long range GFS agrees.

Euro weeklies have AN lasting almost the entire run...Fairly dry too with the lack of tropical activity this year.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Cfa said:

August should finish warmer than July here, mostly due to the warmer low temps.

July ~ 76.3 (85.0 / 67.5)

Aug ~ 77.0 (84.8 / 69.3)...so far, will increase

High humidity and August being the warmest month of summer has been our new pattern since 2015.

LGA warmest month of summer since 2010:

2010...Jul

2011...Jul

2012...Jul

2013...Jul

2014...Jul

2015...Aug

2016...Aug

2017...Jul

2018...Aug

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Brian5671 said:

may be ok if it's dry most of the time-crappy would be an all day stratiform rain...

Agreed i think Friday is the wettest day and it wouldnt shock me if sunday and monday temps are under modeled and mon is the start of the next heat wave for some.  Also thu pending clouds and storms should be another 90 day..

21 minutes ago, NewYorkweatherfan said:

This is horrible! Wish the cold would be here already. In 15 days it’ll be cold. Gotta admit it though this year looks like the cold will be very slow to come here.

LOL.   We roasted into October last year-there will be no "cold" with those +++ SST's off the coast.