Newest Member
    SnowHabit
March 20-21 Potential - STORM MODE THREAD

stormtracker

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

The 6z 3k is great for just about everyone in this subforum. Nice front end thump. Followed by the coastal that just stripes our area. Obviously the front end will be better for elevated areas. But the run hammers everyone once the coastal gets cranking and the flow is favorable. I don' know that we could wish for a better outcome than what it is showing in March in all honesty.

One of the best frames...but, there we many more than just this one...Check out the 2.8" in Eastern WV!  3k is an areawide thump...

hires_snow_1h_maryland_56.png.895effe528c6b2c34841fd862b0009d1.png

15 minutes ago, Jandurin said:

He hypes when appropriate. Definitely conservative, though.

23 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

Cranky seems to be an anti-hype weather pragmatist.  Seems good at pointing out all the parts that will contribute to upcoming storms.  

Yep...it even says so on his Twitter handle: "I do weather stuff. I don't do weather hysterics stuff." Lol

42 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

The 6z 3k is great for just about everyone in this subforum. Nice front end thump. Followed by the coastal that just stripes our area. Obviously the front end will be better for elevated areas. But the run hammers everyone once the coastal gets cranking and the flow is favorable. I don' know that we could wish for a better outcome than what it is showing in March in all honesty.

The 3k inside of 48 hours has been pretty decent. I’d still favor the globals for track and timing at this point. But that would be sweet.

Temps and timing have me very concerned here.  An awful lot of snow potentially will be wasted during daytime tomorrow, not to mention what falls as sleet/rain until then.  Not nearly as confident as I was yesterday in this one.  I need to reset my expectations to just having a good QPF event.  Around here that's a huge win.

1 minute ago, Mdecoy said:

Timing is key here. Night time seems great, temps below freezing and no sun angle. I think we should be good. We are going to have problems in the day.  There is no question. I thought 2nd wave was at night.....?

wave 1 comes in tonight and tomorrow. mostly tomorrow so don't expect too much in the way of road accumulation for places where you see snow. its wave 2 that comes in late tomorrow and overnight wednesday that most are hoping for. 

9 minutes ago, BristowWx said:

TSIP?  How often is that an obs reported...

Don’t recall which storm, but I’ve experienced Thundersleet just once ever. Thundersnow several times though. Would be awesome to maybe have a shot at the t-snow piece in the CCB. 

2 minutes ago, WxUSAF said:

6z north American guidance looked  solid, but I didn’t like seeing the euro go so warm in the low levels for most of tomorrow. Seems clear that many of us are probably in for a long run of sleet tomorrow. 

yeah, i think sleet will even be a concern up my way midday tomorrow. 850 temp is +1 at 18z, but maybe the column will stay cool. temps are at or below freezing all day.... at least in my backyard. 

6 minutes ago, Scraff said:

Don’t recall which storm, but I’ve experienced Thundersleet just once ever. Thundersnow several times though. Would be awesome to maybe have a shot at the t-snow piece in the CCB. 

I recall a few years ago when there was a mega cold front in Feb , was raining , then sleet started with thunder and the entire transition to snow , and very heavy snow , which left 7 to 9 inches here in the Middletown area. I am sure Balt. County experienced the same thing as well. Was not that long ago maybe 3 to 4 years ago. Some will recall it I hope.  

3 minutes ago, supernovasky said:

Like others, I don’t mind sleet. If it starts with a sleet storm then accumulations will happen easier and surfaces will cool faster. Also if I remember correctly from last years March sleet storm, that stuff in significant quantities sticks around forever.

sleet is great as an appetizer, as you are right, lays down a nice cool coating. but if it sticks around for a while, when we weren't expecting it to (like last March) then it sucks and i hate it and i would rather it rain. 

17 minutes ago, EastCoast NPZ said:

Temps and timing have me very concerned here.  An awful lot of snow potentially will be wasted during daytime tomorrow, not to mention what falls as sleet/rain until then.  Not nearly as confident as I was yesterday in this one.  I need to reset my expectations to just having a good QPF event.  Around here that's a huge win.

Looking at that wet 06Z NAM 12km run with Bufkit shows 0.36" liquid falling as freezing rain at MRB through 2:00 p.m. tomorrow with temps near 30, then 0.46" more as sleet until midnight tomorrow night.  Hopefully the model is too warm upstairs.

2 minutes ago, mappy said:

sleet is great as an appetizer, as you are right, lays down a nice cool coating. but if it sticks around for a while, when we weren't expecting it to (like last March) then it sucks and i hate it and i would rather it rain. 

I just remember it basically turning to sleet-Crete. This storm is better though because the sleet will just be a base layer, not the entire pie!

6 minutes ago, supernovasky said:

Like others, I don’t mind sleet. If it starts with a sleet storm then accumulations will happen easier and surfaces will cool faster. Also if I remember correctly from last years March sleet storm, that stuff in significant quantities sticks around forever.

If this starts off as frozen for anyone other than well WNW, then it’ll be a miracle. The rest of us should probably set our expectations to watching cold rain for a while and be prepared for when the column cools enough for a changeover.

1 minute ago, mattie g said:

If this starts off as frozen for anyone other than well WNW, then it’ll be a miracle. The rest of us should probably set our expectations to watching cold rain for a while and be prepared for when the column cools enough for a changeover.

Exactly.  I’m expecting rain in my backyard until nightfall tomorrow which hopefully is when the ‘main show’ arrives.

16 minutes ago, WxUSAF said:

6z north American guidance looked  solid, but I didn’t like seeing the euro go so warm in the low levels for most of tomorrow. Seems clear that many of us are probably in for a long run of sleet tomorrow. 

This should be built into expectations here.  I'm fine with anything frozen at this point.   Been saying this since the weekend...if we can get 4" of snow here, I'm good.  

Just now, Kmlwx said:

Would assume most accumulation forecasts would be based on measurement on a snow board. 

I've never in my life thought to myself - I'll be happy if this much snow shows up as having fallen on a snow board measurement post storm BUT

I think you're right.

Still get surprised by how this board measures success and failure for storms.

1 minute ago, Clueless said:

Even with elevation west of Leesburg I’m expecting more rain than frozen.  Anything over three inches is a win for me. 

Always good to be cautious especially mid to late March but in my opinion that might be a tad pessimistic on amounts. I certainly don't know but I think you're in a decent spot in general 

• WxUSAF locked and unpinned this topic

Archived