Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
January Discobs Thread

George BM

10 minutes ago, Jebman said:

Those damn low dewpoints are what are going to make the west gradient so agonizing. My DP is -5.

Dry air is going be a yuge, YUGE problem for the western edge, gonna be hell for that light snow to try and overcome, Good thing this storm is such an epically slow mover!

I expect a coating on top of the car --- of about 47 small pixie dust particles at the height of the storm, while the coast is getting milkshake frothed by 50 mph gusts and torrential snows and zero visibilities.

Jeb I don't think -5 is right

• Replies 681
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • WxUSAF unpinned this topic
  • WxUSAF pinned this topic
1 hour ago, mattie g said:

9 in Burke with not much wind. Only third-lowest it’s been in the last couple weeks.

Thank God schools were cancelled. Those kids would have had it real tough. Don’t want to make them deal with any kind of inconvenience.

I’m gusting into the 30s.  Tried to do a dog walk w/o a hat and gave that up.

Can totally confirm. Boats not on lifts are sitting in mud (as well as their ice eaters if the owners haven't pulled them. Never seen a blowout like this one.

The National Weather Service in Wakefield has issued a Low Water
Advisory, which is in effect from 3 PM this afternoon to 8 AM EST
Saturday.

* WATER LEVELS: Northwest or west winds will result in lower than
  normal water levels. Water levels should drop to 1.5 to 2 feet
  below Mean Lower Low Water.

* WINDS: Northwest or west 20 to 30 kt with gusts 35 to 40 kt.

This cold is legit, Eskimo Joe levels.  My co-worker who lives in Easton keeps bees, 4 hives each containing ~70,000 bees.  He's assuming a total loss with the cold.  Fire departments running around with several house fires each day...Carroll County is jackpotting the state so far.

Currently 9.2/-3.1 with wind 12/G26 mph, WC -5.9 degrees. I lost power shortly after a 46 mph gust at 9:07 pm last night until 4:15 am. Thankfully I have a wood stove, feel for those without. Another T on the snow front, maybe I can stack them all up at end of year and see if they add another 0.2" to snow total?????

14 hours ago, WxUSAF said:

Repinning this for #frozenarcticmaggedonofdoom2018ofDOOM!

Ha.  My new favorite hashtag.

Last two days added heading into the real cold:

25Dec H/L: 36.6°F/27.1°F; 26Dec: 28.2°F/15.1°F; 27Dec: 23.9°F/9.8°F; 28Dec: 18.7°F/9.5°F; 29Dec: 25.5°F/14.6°F; 30Dec: 29.8°F/11.1°F; 31Dec: 17.7°F/4.8°F; 01Jan: 19.1°F/4.7°F; 02Jan: 22.2°F/5.6°F; 03Jan: 29.1°F/15.1°F; 04Jan: 25.3°F/11.4°F; 05Jan: xx°F/xx°F

Edited to add that it's 7.1°F in Clarksburg at at 8:30am.

27 minutes ago, Eskimo Joe said:

This cold is legit, Eskimo Joe levels.  My co-worker who lives in Easton keeps bees, 4 hives each containing ~70,000 bees.  He's assuming a total loss with the cold.  Fire departments running around with several house fires each day...Carroll County is jackpotting the state so far.

That sucks about the bees.

Low of 8.  It was 11.5 last night around 1130 with frequent gusts to 20/25.  Dont see that too often around here with no snow cover..IF the winds can back off for Sat nigh, sunday morning should be the lowest temp yet this winter.  Current NWS forecast is 0f with winds still gusting to 25mph.

• H2O unpinned this topic
  • H2O pinned this topic

Archived