Newest Member
    joxey
Major Hurricane Irma

NJwx85

• Replies 7.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Paragon said:

If this makes LF like what the ensembles showed in the SE it'll still be a pure hurricane, but if it gets north of say, VA, before making LF, I'd guess it'd have some hybrid characteristics.

I think it's too early (or late) in the season to get a hybrid.  Get more into Oct and Nov to get a good chance at one of those. 

Just now, Stebo said:

Irene and Floyd were both pure hurricanes, they were just scraping the coast.

Irene was a TS though and not a hurricane here (I think it was reclassified down to TS with its NJ landfall at Little Egg Harbor too), and Floyd was a 65 mph TS here.  Bob might be the last one, though it passed about 100 miles east of here.

1 minute ago, Paragon said:

Irene was a TS though and not a hurricane here (I think it was reclassified down to TS with its NJ landfall at Little Egg Harbor too), and Floyd was a 65 mph TS here.  Bob might be the last one, though it passed about 100 miles east of here.

Yeah it was evident day of landfall that Irene was likely a 60 or 65mph TS and they eventually did classify it down.  I think Floyd was 50 or 55.  Bob was 110mph when it passed east of Montauk.

6 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

A lot of attention will be at the coast, and rightfully so, but IF we get a landfall, the inland wind damage potential looks like something to not blow off, especially if we get any sort of partial trough capture.

and inland flooding- isn't that the most deadly side effect of these systems?

8 minutes ago, SnowGoose69 said:

Yeah it was evident day of landfall that Irene was likely a 60 or 65mph TS and they eventually did classify it down.  I think Floyd was 50 or 55.  Bob was 110mph when it passed east of Montauk.

If the trough was oriented differently that one (Bob)  had the best chance of being a 1938 repeat.

18 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

A lot of attention will be at the coast, and rightfully so, but IF we get a landfall, the inland wind damage potential looks like something to not blow off, especially if we get any sort of partial trough capture.

The wind field on both the GFS and Euro is huge. TS winds extending well over a 100 miles out.

Just now, Windspeed said:

Really? Come on, calm down. You have better odds being in an automobile accident tomorrow than Irma destroying your house. Seriously people.

8-10 days yet to go. Chill out.

Wife is 9 months pregnant. Due any day. I'm strongly hoping for an out to sea. I don't need any power outages, floods, etc etc. just a nice calm September please. 

And the sandy track was pretty much set in stone 8 days out lol

1 minute ago, psv88 said:

Wife is 9 months pregnant. Due any day. I'm strongly hoping for an out to sea. I don't need any power outages, floods, etc etc. just a nice calm September please. 

Be more afraid if you're in NC/SC/Florida. NY is one hell of a long shot. There won't be anything concrete for 4-5 days. Even so you'll have plenty of time to plan in the event of a worse case scenario. 

7 minutes ago, psv88 said:

I would rather be in the bullseye now than being 3 days out.  This makes you think on things to do next week to prepare just to be on top of things. 

Sandy was something of a watershed moment in forecasting and I can't blame anyone who takes these dire 7+ day forecasts seriously.  An unmatched job by the Euro.  I'm open to any arguments for and against this forecast but "it's so far out" takes on less and less weight as the models get better and better.  And they do, seemingly constantly.  Better data, better math, better resolution, year after year.

Harvey illustrated the difficulty well.  If you want to best prepare for a storm, you need to act early.  The window between "these specific cities are screwed" and actual landfall could be a couple of days, at best.  Houston had little to no time.  If the population takes Irma seriously and acts immediately, hundreds of lives could be saved if that scenario actually unfolds.  If you wait until full confidence... hmm.

But preparation has its own expense.

Not trying to overreact to a few long-range model runs BTW... just trying to contextualize for what I think is a rapidly-evolving field (meteorology).

For those who are interested, here are some accounts of the 1821 hurricane, while we wait for more model runs.

It is a remark of Dr. Franklin's that the devastations of our northeasterly storms commence in the southwest. The accounts which have been received of the progress of the late hurricane afford additional evidence of the correctness of the observation. It began at Norfolk about 10 o'clock in the morning [September 3]; at Philadelphia about 2 in the afternoon; at New Haven about 6 in the evening; and at Boston between 9 and 10 at night. The principal part of its fury was vented on the coast. new York and Norfolk are the greatest sufferers. The loss of the latter is supposed to amount to $250,000; of the extent of damage done to the former we have seen no estimate.

Source: "The Gale," Daily National Intelligencer, September 13, 1821.

From Norfolk, Virginia when the storm may have been at category 4 strength: 

The morning was dark and gloomy, and about 6 o'clock the black and lowering clouds began to discharge their watery contents, not in gentle showers, but literally in torrents. At 10 o'clock the rain abated for a few minutes, as if to collect itself for a more copious discharge; for it presently set in again with increased violence, and the wind commenced blowing a heavy gale from N.E. which continued to increase to a most alarming height.--From half past 11 till half past 12, so great was the fury of the elements, that they seemed to threaten a general demolition of everything within their reach. During that period the scene they presented was truly awful. The deafening roar of the storm, with the mingled crashing of windows, and falling of chimneys--the rapid rise of the tide, threatening to inundate the town--the continuous cataracts of rain sweeping impetuously along, darkening the expanse of vision, and apparently confounding the 'heavens, earth and sea' in a general chaos: together with now and then a glimpse, caught through the gloom, of shipping forced for their moorings, and driving with rapidity, as the mind might well conjecture in such circumstances, to inevitable destruction. Even to those, if any there were, who could contemplate such a scene unappalled, it must have been painful to reflect on the widespread devastation which could not but be the result of this fearful ‘war of elements.' About 12 o'clock the wind shifted round to N.W. but without abating its fury until half an hour after, when it ceased raining; the storm began to subside, and the water to recede. At 4 o'clock it changed to S.W. and the weather became calm and serene.

Source: "Tremendous Storm," The Raleigh Register, September 14, 1821.

An account from New York City:

Last evening [evening of September 3] we were visited with one of the most tremendous gales of wind ever experienced in this city. We had rain most of the day, with the wind from S. to S.E. Between 4 and 5 o'clock it changed to N.E. and blew until near 7 o'clock with great violence. About that hour the wind abated, and soon after shifted to W.N.W. At this time it was the hour of low water, but such had been the violence of the tempest, that the sea was forced in to such a degree, that the wharves were overflown to the depth of from 12 to 20 inches.

Most of the cellars in the lower parts of the city were filled with water, and we think considerable property must have been damaged.

The wharves on both sides of the city are greatly injured, and some destroyed. Large quantities of lumber, and some merchandise have floated off.

Source: "Tremendous Gale," The Maryland Gazette, September 13, 1821.

From around New York City:

From Flushing, L.I. we learn that the gale was very severe at that place; a shed of the Meeting-house was blown away. At Bloomingdale, and along the East River, some small houses and barns, and many trees, were blown down and several houses unroofed. At Hoboken, the bridge and dock washed away; Mr. Van Buskirk's grocery on the dock destroyed; the Hoboken ferry bridge on this side broken to pieces; the bridge and dock at the foot of Harrison Street nearly destroyed; most of the docks along the North [Hudson and East Rivers so much injured as to prevent the passage of carts. The gale at Jersey City was tremendous. The wind was from N.E. accompanied with hail and rain, which fell in torrents. The docks, wharves, piers, &c. were all swept away. The loss to the steamboat company is very great. Their wood is washed away, and their small rowboats stove.

Source: "Destructive Storm," Providence Patriot, September 12, 1821.

Archived