Newest Member
    joxey
Major Hurricane Irma

NJwx85

• Replies 7.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Hoth said:

That shows '38 as a cat 2 at LI landfall. Don't think that's right.

I don't think it was a real cane, at least more of the recent research has suggested that.  It may have been a hybrid like Sandy but likely 15-20 mph stronger on max winds.  The forward speed is probably what produced the insanely high gusts.

3 minutes ago, SnowGoose69 said:

I don't think it was a real cane, at least more of the recent research has suggested that.  It may have been a hybrid like Sandy but likely 15-20 mph stronger on max winds.  The forward speed is probably what produced the insanely high gusts.

What about Donna? Wasn't that 150mph around the Carolinas?  That one made three landfalls as a major.

1 minute ago, Sportybx said:

Ok so let's say this pulls NW and due N right into the brushes NC and right into the NY metro area . Can this be worse then Sandy? Also I remember a few days ago I heard something about a cold front coming down from Canada effecting it ... 

I think it depends on where in the NY Metro area it hits and how, exactly it hits? I highly doubt that it's going to merge with a Nor'Easter and become a Superstorm like Sandy did. I think we can make valid comparisons to Irene, Gloria, Floyd, Bob... but we're too far out to make anything of a highly educated guess. I think by 9/5, we'll have a much better idea.

Just now, TriPol said:

I think it depends on where in the NY Metro area it hits and how, exactly it hits? I highly doubt that it's going to merge with a Nor'Easter and become a Superstorm like Sandy did. I think we can make valid comparisons to Irene, Gloria, Floyd, Bob... but we're too far out to make anything of a highly educated guess. I think by 9/5, we'll have a much better idea.

Yeah pattern is a different world on 9/10 vs 10/28 when Sandy happened.  A dynamic upper low phase etc etc is not anywhere near as likely.

1 minute ago, TriPol said:

I'm not sure "Superstorm" is a valid scientific term.  Didn't it just transition into an extratropical storm and its windfield expanded outward?  It was the track that was more damaging not some media designation of "superstorm."  Sandy was a hurricane right up until a few hours before landfall.  By then the surge damage was already etched in stone- and it was from the track, not what type of storm it was.

3 minutes ago, SnowGoose69 said:

Yeah pattern is a different world on 9/10 vs 10/28 when Sandy happened.  A dynamic upper low phase etc etc is not anywhere near as likely.

Yeah these are our more typical storms- the kind where people, say "This is a hurricane?"  Unless you're out in extreme eastern LI or other extreme eastern coastal locations.  For our area, rainfall is usually the biggest concern with these storms, not wind.

2 minutes ago, SnowGoose69 said:

Can you or someone post the pattern for Irene leading up to landfall. 

It's about angle of approach when trying to compare what happened with Sandy, to say a Cat 3 landfall into Long Island. In the former, NYC ended up in the RFQ as it was to the North of the center. A Long Island hit would put NYC in the much weaker NW quadrant. I'm not saying it still wouldn't be a highly impactful event, but just compare the damage around NYC in 38' to that of SNE.

Just now, NJwx85 said:

It's about angle of approach when trying to compare what happened with Sandy, to say a Cat 3 landfall into Long Island. In the former, NYC ended up in the RFQ as it was to the North of the center. A Long Island hit would put NYC in the much weaker NW quadrant. I'm not saying it still wouldn't be a highly impactful event, but just compare the damage around NYC in 38' to that of SNE.

To get a 'Sandy' type of event, a hurricane would have to shoot north to Jersey and make a sudden left turn into the Delmarva area, which is what Sandy did. The chances of that happening again in our lifetimes is about 1 in a million.

3 minutes ago, NJwx85 said:

Absolutely.  I'm not entirely convinced that a 1938-type storm can take a Sandy-type track.  Hurricanes that strong are more likely to be further east.  We have no historical comparisons to it, but we do have a few lower end hurricanes that took the Sandy track going back to the early part of the 20th century.

Maybe 1821 represents the furthest west a storm that intense can go without recurving.

Just now, MattPetrulli said:

Way too early to say anything is highly likely except we will probably be dealing with a powerful hurricane through next week.

it's still variable, yes, but increasing heights in CONUS over each major global run leads me to believe a fish solution is becoming more probable. Still might change, but weenies need to taper their "excitement" 

3 minutes ago, SN_Lover said:

it's still variable, yes, but increasing heights in CONUS over each major global run leads me to believe a fish solution is becoming more probable. Still might change, but weenies need to taper their "excitement" 

This doesn't make any sense as written. Higher heights over the US means Irma would be less likely to gain latitude.

Archived