• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    mansour
    Newest Member
    mansour
NJwx85

Major Hurricane Irma

You wonder why they couldnt have waited another day to evacuate the Keys.  If this ends to slamming into Cuba as long as the Euro shows hypothetically it probably comes out as a Cat 1 and you have another dangerous what if one really does happen one day and people don't evacuate 

1 minute ago, SnowGoose69 said:

You wonder why they couldnt have waited another day to evacuate the Keys.  If this ends to slamming into Cuba as long as the Euro shows hypothetically it probably comes out as a Cat 1 and you have another dangerous what if one really does happen one day and people don't evacuate 

Well, won't the surge still be devastating for the keys regardless of the eye coming on shore in northern Cuba?

3 minutes ago, SnowGoose69 said:

It's a visitor evac that starts tomorrow.

I assume they are staging it (visitors, then residents) to ease the bottlenecks on those tiny little roads. 

(Unless there have been significant upgrades in the highways there--haven't been in at least ten years.)

Plus, Keys residents can be remarkably stubborn about evacs. Source: family members in Marathon and Key West who rode out Wilma. 

• Like 2

Because there is one single lane road to get everyone out.

• Like 3

I don't want to overplay this, but Hurricane Irma could have some impact on San Juan, Puerto Rico. The eyewall is unlikely to be right on Puerto Rico, so that's good. The metro area according to Wikipedia is:

• Urban 2,148,346

• Metro 2,350,126

Just now, Crazy4Wx said:

Well, won't the surge still be devastating for the keys regardless of the eye coming on shore in northern Cuba?

I'm not sure.  Georges I thought was a 2 when it passed west of Key West and the surge wasn't awful.  I think you need to have a high end 2 or low 3 at least 

4 minutes ago, SnowGoose69 said:

I don't have inside knowledge but it has to take a long time to get everyone off since there's only one road connecting the mainland.

Last thing you want is to be stuck on it when the storm strikes.

• Like 1

Simply put, time. You will potentially have the southern third of Florida evacuating in the next 3-4 days 

• Like 2

Part of the problem is that the only way out is a narrow road that's only one lane in most spots. Also in many places the roadway is at sea level. They probably also are trying to do a systematic evacuation so that they can gradually get people out rather than all at once.

• Like 1

I'm not sure.  Georges I thought was a 2 when it passed west of Key West and the surge wasn't awful.  I think you need to have a high end 2 or low 3 at least 

The surge even without a direct hit is going to be tremendous with all that water flowing west on the NE Side or IRMA

• Like 1

Then again what if it don't .  Then you lose a day while everyone from south Florida starts moving on out . Better to be safe then sorry . Might pay off in the end . 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, bobbutts said:

I don't have inside knowledge but it has to take a long time to get everyone off since there's only one road connecting the mainland.

Last thing you want is to be stuck on it when the storm strikes.

Especially since most of the road is right on the ocean.

Image result for road in florida keys

• Like 2

Just now, Crazy4Wx said:

Surge for the Keys is somewhat self-limiting as the surge will hit the reef first. In the 1935 storm, they had 40-50' waves at the reef, and what did make it to land was enhanced because a lot of the cuts and creeks were plugged up by railroad. That said, a 20' storm surge will wipe most anything off the keys. 

Even Donna only had about a 6' surge when it passed over Marathon (per the water marks in house I was living in). 

1 minute ago, thess said:

It's a visitor evac that starts tomorrow.

I assume they are staging it (visitors, then residents) to ease the bottlenecks on those tiny little roads. 

(Unless there have been significant upgrades in the highways there--haven't been in at least ten years.)

Plus, Keys residents can be remarkably stubborn about evacs. Source: family members in Marathon and Key West who rode out Wilma. 

I lived in Marathon in the late 1960s. People will stay. (but per the MCSO, the evacuation is for everyone and starts tomorrow morning at 7.

Just now, Ginx snewx said:

The surge even without a direct hit is going to be tremendous with all that water flowing east on the NE Side or IRMA

I guess the thing is Georges was destroyed by Hispaniola of east Cuba too so the remnant surge was probably mostly gone.  I would think as you say above this one might have a greater leftover rise in water from when it was a Cat 4 or 5 just a day earlier 

And then after you come off A1A Rt 1 going through the Homestead area is a 20+ mile long series of traffic lights and is a terminal clustrf*ck without people panicking. There's nothing easy about getting people out of that area.

8 minutes ago, SnowGoose69 said:

I think this decision may be largely because the Cuba / No Cuba scenario is somewhat academic for the Keys. As the Gulf Stream pumps through the Florida Strait, it will be met with contrary, long-fetch winds for a couple of days prior to the arrival of the storm. The seas around that area are going to be massive, and steep. There's a very good chance of significant impact from that, alone.

31 minutes ago, wxmx said:

Agree. Look at what happened to Gilbert, Dean or Janet after crossing the flat Yucatan peninsula.

Yucatan is part of the continent though, Cuba is a thin island.  Sure it has tall mountains in some areas but you have to hit it just "right" (or "wrong") to get that effect- it's like threading a needle.  Sure it could happen and weaken the storm considerably, but I wouldn't count on it taking that track unless I was within 3 days of the event.

Just now, NJwx85 said:

Looks like a lot of EPS members are well East

59aefa57adbb4.png

As someone said a few posts back.  That developing tropical off Mexico in the W Gulf wreaked havoc on that run by messing with the setup somewhat to the east.  Too many features here which is making this forecast unusually hard 

17 minutes ago, Hazey said:

Anyone have a link to a frontline weather station that will be the first to feel the fury of Irma? and a radar station?

Thanks

Here's a link to the Pureto Rico Traffic Cams. There's a active cam at the moment on the NE side of the island, and you can see clouds from an outer bank moving in. Many more in the San Juan area.

http://its.dtop.gov.pr/(X(1)S(gs1c44hygyqrjopsccxagpse))/en/Default.aspx

I would agree with evacuations now while there is time to do it in an orderly fashion. Some of the deaths in other evacuations is due to being done late and people rushing/panicking. What's the worst that can happen? You're inconvenienced for a bit. Small price to pay considering.

• Like 3