Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Major Hurricane Irma

NJwx85

• Replies 7.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, StormchaserChuck said:

Never has such a symmetrical storm moved so far north.

It's going to hit Puerto Rico. Population 3.47 million

Dropsondes from the NOAA-GIV mission on the edge and outside the storm do not support a direct hit with the eyewall, imo. The southward component of steering that was there earlier today is diminishing -- now confined to a shallow layer near 350mb, whereas the northward component (at lower levels) has expanded, hence the reason the storm has gained latitude in the past 6-9 hours. Remaining southward component will continue to diminish. Direct hit not looking likely to me at the moment. Possible, but not likely. Best way I could envision is via an ERC causing an asymmetric convective structure long enough for it to wobble off course.

Just now, Crazy4Wx said:

Kinda worst case track...destroys San Juan, parts of Cuba, Miami gets hit with massive surge, keys gets destroyed...and it's still a major cane.

I had a trip to Islamorada to do some Yellowtail fishing in November.  This track at the current forecasted intensity, means the Florida Keys, from Key Largo to Key West would be offline for 4-6 months.  The ensemble mean seems to wants to take the storm up through Biscayne Bay, scrape the coast like Jeanne and Frances in 2004 as a 4, and then slam into Savannah and(or) Hilton Head. This high tailing it into the gulf scenario seems less likely right now.  Latest model runs show anything from a direct hit on Miami, to a scrape like the EM.  this will be a East Coast of Florida storm, not a gulf one IMHO. 

12 minutes ago, StormChaser4Life said:

Bit too early to be making landfall calls that west. Quite a few models keep the center offshore. It is a possible but not set in stone. They will def be feeling hurricane impacts though. I'm honestly not sure why NHC nudged the cone west more when some models are shifting east

Consensus of the UKmet, Euro, GFS and CMC...3 out of 4 have a Cuba landfall

12 minutes ago, StormchaserChuck said:

Give it a 50% chance of hitting Puerto Rico directly. eventually it goes into the Gulf and around New Orleans.

Watch videos of round hurricanes and how they move, interact with land etc. The NHC WNW to NW curvy line kind of looks like a TS.

so...into the Florida Strait, or crash course with Cuba?

12 minutes ago, Crazy4Wx said:

4 days out...shift of 30 miles and it doesn't touch Cuba. We will know Thursday evening

8 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

EPS do not. At this time frame ensembles > op runs 

11 minutes ago, DCAlexandria said:

Totally agree. And Most euro members dont hit Cuba.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So get the op and ensembles consensus, and you get a track similar to the NHC's (north of the Euro, Ukmet and CMC), which is the point I was trying to make when replying to the OP

2 minutes ago, SnowGoose69 said:

When systems are this strong the ERCs can really knock them down.  If it undergoes a long duration one it could drop down below 140mph IMO

Yes, also it's harder to kill an inner eyewall if it's big. ERCs on small eyes are usually pretty quick and seamless. OTOH, eyewall replacement of big eyes are a pain. Ask Matthew.

1 minute ago, StormChaser4Life said:

GFS didn't. But the other three did. But some of those models also initialized way off on Irma's current intensity so I really wouldn't bite on anything yet

Enlighten me on why the intensity is so important for track? It's a deep ridge, meaning all levels of the troposphere are more or less "blowing" in the same direction/speed. We are not talking about an easterly wave embedded in the trade winds.

Archived