• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Major Hurricane Irma

NJwx85

It looks great on IR and Sat. However the outflow is not quite as impressive and there is a more banding effect, even though the core is blowing up. To me, I wouldn't be surprised if the winds have peaked at the moment but the windfield is expanding significantly over the next few updates.

The scary part is many models showing explosive strengthening after Cuba but before FL. Pressures dropping below 900. Lets hope the wind/pressure ratio decreases or this would be the storm of all storms.

• Replies 7.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, Bruinsyear said:

It looks great on IR and Sat. However the outflow is not quite as impressive and there is a more banding effect, even though the core is blowing up. To me, I wouldn't be surprised if the winds have peaked at the moment but the windfield is expanding significantly over the next few updates.

The scary part is many models showing explosive strengthening after Cuba but before FL. Pressures dropping below 900. Lets hope the wind/pressure ratio decreases or this would be the storm of all storms.

Which models are showing that besides the unrealistic GFS and HMON?

2 minutes ago, StormchaserChuck said:

It will probably hit Puerto Rico. Maybe the strongest hurricane to interact with land on this side of the globe. If someone is familiar with San Juan, I want go and see what happens.

San Juan is located on the Northeastern end of the island. The airport is located about twenty miles to the East near Isla Verde. It's beautiful place. Further East you will find the rain Forrest. I really don't think the eyewall comes onshore in PR, but I agree that it's going to be a close call. 

5 minutes ago, NJwx85 said:

San Juan is located on the Northeastern end of the island. The airport is located about twenty miles to the East near Isla Verde. It's beautiful place. Further East you will find the rain Forrest. I really don't think the eyewall comes onshore in PR, but I agree that it's going to be a close call. 

A storm like this doesn't turn north all of a sudden. It's still pretty far south and WNW would be direct hit. Could someone just show up?

2 minutes ago, StormchaserChuck said:

A storm like this doesn't turn north all of a sudden. It's still pretty far south and WNW would be direct hit. Could someone just show up?

I was going to say that this storm is still south of the latitude of PR it's going to be really difficult for this not to be a direct hit for some part of PR.

SUMMARY OF 500 PM AST...2100 UTC...INFORMATION
----------------------------------------------
LOCATION...17.1N 59.8W
ABOUT 130 MI...210 KM E OF ANTIGUA
ABOUT 135 MI...220 KM ESE OF BARBUDA
MAXIMUM SUSTAINED WINDS...185 MPH...295 KM/H
PRESENT MOVEMENT...W OR 280 DEGREES AT 15 MPH...24 KM/H
MINIMUM CENTRAL PRESSURE...926 MB...27.35 INCHES

2 minutes ago, andyhb said:

Not dropping sub 900 mb.

True, but we know about how models handle pressure (goes both ways).  These models showing 860-870 mb look pretty absurd but I don't think it would be entirely unreasonable to get something under 900 mb between Florida and Cuba, IF land interaction is not significant.  We have at least 1 known case of that happening there.

1 minute ago, andyhb said:

Strongest storm in almost 250 years bearing down on the islands with advisories for another TC on its tail. Not a lot of hyperbole can capture that.

Are there any records of any time in the even distant past of there ever being a 200 mph TC in the Atlantic Basin? I can't think of a single one.

6 minutes ago, StormchaserChuck said:

It's already a bit north of the forecast track line for the past 6 hours -- which is a miss for PR as it is. They'll probably get scraped by the core, but we're talking the SW and SE quads.

6 minutes ago, StormchaserChuck said:

Never has such a symmetrical storm moved so far north.

It's going to hit Puerto Rico. Big place, population 3.47 million.

Bit too early to be making landfall calls that west. Quite a few models keep the center offshore. It is a possible but not set in stone. They will def be feeling hurricane impacts though. I'm honestly not sure why NHC nudged the cone west more when some models are shifting east

9 minutes ago, NJwx85 said:

We also now have a TD in the Bay of Campeche. 

Since this storm developing in the Bay of Campeche doesn't seem to be previously part of the equation, wouldn't it theoretically pump up the heights to the east in the Gulf of Mexico and possibly cause the expected north turn of Irma to occur sooner? 

Archived