joxey
November Banter Thread

H2O

• Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, WxWatcher007 said:

Can I have a pity party for a second? 

Probably an 80% chance I've lost my job by Christmas. If it does happen, I'm proud of how hard I worked hard to get there and of how much I accomplished. I have so much unfinished business, but as I was once told, trees don't grow to the sky. 

I'll work harder than ever to rebuild. 

I hope that doesn't mean you'll be leaving the area.

13 hours ago, WxWatcher007 said:

Probably an 80% chance I've lost my job by Christmas. If it does happen, I'm proud of how hard I worked hard to get there and of how much I accomplished. I have so much unfinished business, but as I was once told, trees don't grow to the sky. 

damn, dude.  that sucks.  Hope you keep the gig

13 hours ago, WxWatcher007 said:

:hug: sorry to hear. hoping for the best

14 hours ago, WxWatcher007 said:

As others have said, that really sucks.

By the sounds of it, you work in politics/on the Hill. If so, in that world one door closes and another opens on the regular, without a doubt. I have full faith that you'll find your feet again quickly should you find yourself needing it. Best of luck (and I hope you don't leave the area)!

14 hours ago, WxWatcher007 said:

Sorry to hear this.  Change isn't something that most of us deal with well.

I'm reminded of the saying "tough times don't last, tough people do".  As others have said, keep moving forward.

Best wishes.

15 hours ago, WxWatcher007 said:

The stepping stones that are placed in front of our feet often direct us towards the unknown. Yet strangely enough, upon looking back at those course changes, we come to realize why that stone appeared when it did.

Or as Douglas Adams said

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

2 hours ago, North Balti Zen said:

I know. I follow him on twitter, and he even on occasion re-tweets me. But he's absent from these parts mostly, at this point.

Then again, has there really been anything to get juiced up about in the past few months? Ian will be around to troll us all when we finally have something of significance to track. ;):lol: 

17 hours ago, North Balti Zen said:

I know. I follow him on twitter, and he even on occasion re-tweets me. But he's absent from these parts mostly, at this point.

well it has been boring. I'm sure once there is a legit snow threat, he will pop up again.

21 hours ago, WxWatcher007 said:

Thank you all for the kind words. I generally don't dwell too much on the inevitable curveballs that hit us all in life, but it's nice to have an outlet to share things with people I've grown to care about (relatively anonymously) :)

I'm moving forward and remaining optimistic. I'm considering leaving the region, which opens up another can of worms personally lol, but I have no doubt that things will work out. 

Leave.  Get out while you can, before you experience a "true" southern mid-atlantic winter. You got a taste of it last December; you don't want to live through 3 months of that if you can avoid it.

Best of luck to you, either way.

Moving to DC on December 12th from Louisiana with the wife and kid. I have experienced snow maybe 5 times in my entire life. I am huge into meteorology and moderate the /r/weather subreddit on Reddit, which is a fairly popular sub, and run /r/tropicalweather which has had tens of thousands watching during Hurricane Matthew. Now, I will have a completely new type of storm to track, winter storms! I am extremely excited and just curious from those of you from the area: What is the snow situation generally like in Rockville/Olney/Gaithersburg?

6 minutes ago, supernovasky said:

Moving to DC on December 12th from Louisiana with the wife and kid. I have experienced snow maybe 5 times in my entire life. I am huge into meteorology and moderate the /r/weather subreddit on Reddit, which is a fairly popular sub, and run /r/tropicalweather which has had tens of thousands watching during Hurricane Matthew. Now, I will have a completely new type of storm to track, winter storms! I am extremely excited and just curious from those of you from the area: What is the snow situation generally like in Rockville/Olney/Gaithersburg?

Sorry Mr. Supernovasky...but snow climo here is like an expensive restaurant menu. If you have to ask, you can't afford it.

Translation: I hope you have built up your frustration tolerance to a high level.

Anyway; Welcome, and I hope you get a chance at some fun.

3 minutes ago, GramaxRefugee said:

Sorry Mr. Supernovasky...but snow climo here is like an expensive restaurant menu. If you have to ask, you can't afford it.

Translation: I hope you have built up your frustration tolerance to a high level.

Anyway; Welcome, and I hope you get a chance at some fun.

Haha, well, being that I am a tropical weather enthusiast, I've dealt with enough busted Atlantic seasons the last 10 years - its a different exercise in frustration for sure. Snow would be nice though, and honestly, for me, 2" will probably give me the same enjoyment 12" gives the rest of the board.

11 minutes ago, supernovasky said:

You can rely on at least a couple snow events each winter in the near suburbs, with a chance for blockbuster storms. We run the gamut of storm varieties, with real ice storms being the least likely event for us. Depending on the year, areas near the fall line (which is right by I95) can flirt with changeovers pretty regularly, and we sometimes fall on the right side of the temp boundary and sometimes on the wrong side.

Either way, your winter weather will be much more variable than it is in the Deep South, with a chance for some really fun stuff!

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic

Archived