Newest Member
    joxey
November Banter Thread

H2O

• Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 minutes ago, supernovasky said:

Moving to DC on December 12th from Louisiana with the wife and kid. I have experienced snow maybe 5 times in my entire life. I am huge into meteorology and moderate the /r/weather subreddit on Reddit, which is a fairly popular sub, and run /r/tropicalweather which has had tens of thousands watching during Hurricane Matthew. Now, I will have a completely new type of storm to track, winter storms! I am extremely excited and just curious from those of you from the area: What is the snow situation generally like in Rockville/Olney/Gaithersburg?

Welcome onboard!  Generally the farther north/higher elevation you go, the better your snow climo is going to be.  We have lots of interesting microclimates in the area when it comes to winter.  For MoCo, you're generally looking at 20-25"/year on average in those areas, although farther north toward Clarksburg gets in the 30-36"/year range.  But, there's a wide variation around that mean.  

5 minutes ago, WxUSAF said:

Welcome onboard!  Generally the farther north/higher elevation you go, the better your snow climo is going to be.  We have lots of interesting microclimates in the area when it comes to winter.  For MoCo, you're generally looking at 20-25"/year on average in those areas, although farther north toward Clarksburg gets in the 30-36"/year range.  But, there's a wide variation around that mean.  

I was specifically wondering about that. Does 2-300 foot elevation make that big of a difference? I saw that DC is in the low double digit elevations whereas Rockville/Olney area where we will be living is closer to 2-300. I was wondering how big a difference that made. I know nothing about snow meteorology.

1 minute ago, supernovasky said:

I was specifically wondering about that. Does 2-300 foot elevation make that big of a difference? I saw that DC is in the low double digit elevations whereas Rockville/Olney area where we will be living is closer to 2-300. I was wondering how big a difference that made. I know nothing about snow meteorology.

Elevation makes a big difference! Especially for marginal events. So, places that are at 200-300 feet will get above freezing faster than locations at 600-700 feet. There have been quite a few scenarios the last few seasons where an extra 100 feet of elevation is all it takes to see snow from rain. 

Welcome supernovasky!

Previous responses pretty much covered it. I'll add that coming from LA even a 50-75% of climo snow will be satisfying.

No reason to expect a dud this year. Things seem very "normal" so far. There are a lot of favored locations within a fairly short drive if you want to chase a little. We seem to always get an event or 2 where the close burbs suck but a 30 minute drive nw will provide some fine entertainment. 

12 minutes ago, supernovasky said:

Also, Bob Chill, we are specifically looking at Rockville right now! There are some nice affordable condos/apts in that area!

I grew up in Rockville then moved away in 1992 but bought a house here in 2002. I know this area like the back of my hand. If you have any questions about neighborhoods just message me. I'd be glad to help. 

1 hour ago, supernovasky said:

Moving to DC on December 12th from Louisiana with the wife and kid. I have experienced snow maybe 5 times in my entire life. I am huge into meteorology and moderate the /r/weather subreddit on Reddit, which is a fairly popular sub, and run /r/tropicalweather which has had tens of thousands watching during Hurricane Matthew. Now, I will have a completely new type of storm to track, winter storms! I am extremely excited and just curious from those of you from the area: What is the snow situation generally like in Rockville/Olney/Gaithersburg?

Montgomery County sits on the edge of the east coast fall line (See map HERE).  Upper Montgomery County (Damascus, Clarksburg, Germantown) is 700-1,000 feet in elevation and usually is the winner in marginal snow events.  Once your get south of Gaithersburg, really along MD 200 (Intercounty Connector - ICC), elevation gets close to sea level and snow becomes harder to get.  I work for the county and have seen storms that feature 24" of snow in Damascus, while Takoma Park near the DC line gets only 5".  Key message:  If you like snow, go north and west...Damascus, Germantown or Laytonsville are your spots.

40 minutes ago, WxWatcher007 said:

Why do you think I have War On Mappy as part of the index? It's 1859 and all it takes is a little more nudging for a war between the states.

I will defend my northern brethren until I can no longer stand... or get too cold and go back inside so they can fend for themselves. 

26 minutes ago, North Balti Zen said:

Now THAT is impressive for someone new to a forum. Welcome.

Hey thanks! I mean, I run some pretty large weather communities myself and being that this has been a passion of mine since I was 5 and sitting in front of the TV watching hurricanes approach my area, I figure why not? Its my passion. My wife doesn't get it but, eh, it is what it is! But yes, on the positive side, I have learned a lot of who you people are :)

I really, really, really can't wait to watch for my first ever real snow event! Everything I've experienced in my life has basically been small snows in Louisiana of 1-2" (we FREAK OUT about that here), or the ONE event that I saw up in Pittsburgh, where my wife is from, visiting her family. About 3" of snow.

Yes, having the extra 200 - 500 feet is crucial in most DC events and on the book ends of winter here.  Couple of big events that come to mind:

-Jan 2011 storm (https://dcstorms.com/tag/commuteageddon-january-2011/)

-Oct 2011 storm (http://www.raymondcmartinjr.com/weather/2012/29-Oct-11.html)

-Thanksgiving 2013 storm (http://abc7news.com/archive/9340297/)

36 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

Oh don't worry, people freak out about that here, too, since Maryland/DC has the worst drivers in the country.

No doubt. A well timed .5 - 1" snowfall with below freezing temps can bring this area instantly to its knees. It's part of the fun of living here. Well, as long as you aren't on the roads at the time. Forum members are really good at avoiding it. The other 5 million people become our entertainment.  

At least we know in Louisiana not to drive on that stuff.

That southern "snow storm" that happened a couple years ago that hit us and Atlanta showed how differently we treated it. We shut EVERYTHING down, interstates and all. Atlanta kept everything open.

Atlanta had hundreds of accidents in no time. We had like 5.

1 hour ago, Bob Chill said:

No doubt. A well timed .5 - 1" snowfall with below freezing temps can bring this area instantly to its knees. It's part of the fun of living here. Well, as long as you aren't on the roads at the time. Forum members are really good at avoiding it. The other 5 million people become our entertainment.  

I was driving from Denver airport to Boulder in one of those .50" to 1.00" events and you know what? The Interstate essentially shut down,  I had to take an alternate route.  Too many cowboys in Suvs spun out and crashed all over the city.

4 minutes ago, usedtobe said:

I was driving from Denver airport to Boulder in one of those .50" to 1.00" events and you know what? The Interstate essentially shut down,  I had to take an alternate route.  Too many cowboys in Suvs spun out and crashed all over the city.

It was no better in the mountains at onset of any storm on the interstates. Once a storm has been cranking then everybody seemed to behave better but that first inch wreaked havoc on the grades coming down from the various passes. Many tractor trailer incidents. It seemed like it was easier to drive on completely snow packed roads or with a couple inches of fresh snow piled up than the initial inch. Somehow someway I managed to never wreck or get stuck  in the 7 years I was there. Had some harrowing rides though with many close calls. 

2 hours ago, usedtobe said:

Bingo, Wes. There are bad drivers everywhere, and even in the most snow-hardened areas you can get gridlock from an otherwise run-of-the-mill event if it falls at the right/wrong time. It's not limited to DC.

Just curious - there any good cajun restaurants in the region?

You got me curious so I googled Cajun restaurants in DC and several came up with good reviews. I'm just outside Baltimore so I googledagain for Baltimore and Popeyes came up. 

So, in DC there may be some hidden gems to check out. Not so much here in Bmore. ;)

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic

Archived