• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
November Banter Thread

H2O

The wiper thing has to be a mid-atlantic special.  I had never seen anyone do that until I came out here.  IMO, the snowblower is not worth the expense or space, unless you end up with an oversized driveway/sidewalk.  But, I like shoveling, so there's that.

12 hours ago, supernovasky said:

Oh, don't worry, I'm going to bring these amazing Louisiana snows with me...

-_- :( Never seen more than 2" in my life.

You may find on this board that the bolded statement is very dangerous ;)  :weenie:

• Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, MN Transplant said:

The wiper thing has to be a mid-atlantic special.  I had never seen anyone do that until I came out here.  IMO, the snowblower is not worth the expense or space, unless you end up with an oversized driveway/sidewalk.  But, I like shoveling, so there's that.

You may find on this board that the bolded statement is very dangerous ;)  :weenie:

Yea, my neighbor has let me borrow his a couple times but only because he insisted. I like shoveling too. It's a form of art. I also like to make a huge pile at the corner of my driveway so it can last a long time. Even a dirty dog peed pile of slop is better than brown grass everywhere. 

The only real hard part about shoveling for me is that I'm the last house before a storm drain coming down hill from a cul de sac.  So that runoff turns the snow at the driveway lip into slushy ton bricks, especially after the snow plow comes through.

No snow blower (that I'm ever going to want to pay for) can do anything with that.

8 minutes ago, PaEasternWX said:

really don't know why it was deleted. To put in perspective the January Long range discussion last year was made December 18th. It is now November 22th. Don't see the problem for opening up the December long range discussion especially since it is within 240 hours.

Theres a reason.

Congratulations! I don't remember hearing that you were looking for anything. Give us some details. How'd you all settle on McHenry? Condo? House? On the lake? Is there a guest room?

Thanks! We had been looking at either Outerbanks or Deep Creek but settled on Deep Creek since it's over an hour closer, offers the four seasons of activities, and is a great escape from the hustle of D.C. And of course being able to enjoy the 100" of snow out there helps

It's a house that's within 5 minutes of both Wisp and the lake but still set off by itself with lots of privacy and great views. And yes, guest rooms to host the MA get together/ski fest!

2 hours ago, nj2va said:

Thanks! We had been looking at either Outerbanks or Deep Creek but settled on Deep Creek since it's over an hour closer, offers the four seasons of activities, and is a great escape from the hustle of D.C. And of course being able to enjoy the 100" of snow out there helps emoji4.png

It's a house that's within 5 minutes of both Wisp and the lake but still set off by itself with lots of privacy and great views. And yes, guest rooms to host the MA get together/ski fest! emoji12.png

Be careful what ya offer! I suggest creating a lodging rate per stay of booze, steaks, chilli and of course, Cheez-its. 

4 hours ago, nj2va said:

Thanks! We had been looking at either Outerbanks or Deep Creek but settled on Deep Creek since it's over an hour closer, offers the four seasons of activities, and is a great escape from the hustle of D.C. And of course being able to enjoy the 100" of snow out there helps emoji4.png

It's a house that's within 5 minutes of both Wisp and the lake but still set off by itself with lots of privacy and great views. And yes, guest rooms to host the MA get together/ski fest! emoji12.png

Who is doing your closing?  If its Deep Creek Title Group then I'll be the one closing with you.

25 minutes ago, H2O said:

Happy thanksgiving to you all from down here in warm Florida. Disney vacation and sea world today. We go see animals before we eat animals and say thanks

:lol: Happy Thanksgiving to you and all.

Are ya going to Universal as well?  The Transformer ride is worth the wait in line! Men in Black is fun as well (shorter line)

:hug:Enjoy the vacay!

News about contests ...

Hello, I am dropping into all regional forum banter or chat threads to post some information about contests that you may find interesting. 

On the general forum of American Weather Forums, we have a temperature forecast contest that has been going on here since Eastern gave birth to American Weather. We would welcome some new entrants for 2017; the contest is simple to enter and just takes a minute once you've decided on your forecasts. There are nine locations across the U.S. including DCA. We predict anomalies from 1981-2010 normals, and the forecasts are scored promptly at the end of each month. I am drawing your attention to the contest a month in advance of the new contest year for two reasons -- (1) people get very busy and distracted around New Years, and (2) the contest has a four-seasons component for the 12 months starting Dec 2016. So this is a good month to jump in and get in a practice round before 2017. Some of the regulars in the contest include well-known forum members that you'll recognize, and the standards are pretty high (albeit I am dragging them down somewhat). So it's a good place to test out your forecasting insights against some of the better forecasters on American Weather. Here's a portal into that forecast contest thread ...

https://www.americanwx.com/bb/topic/49268-december-2016-temperature-forecast-contest/

Meanwhile, one other contest I can recommend if you want to make a snowfall forecast for 25 locations in the northeastern and Mid-Atlantic states for Dec to Mar winter 2016-17. This is a separate website that runs just this contest and storm forecast contests that you can enter with e-mail notification provided to remind you if a storm is brewing. Once again, you would recognize a few names in that contest (recent years have seen 15-20 regular participants) and the standards are pretty good, once again an ideal place to work on your forecasting or show it off depending on where things are at. 

http://www.newx-forecasts.com/#RULES

That's the link for the Northeast U.S. snowfall contest website. 

Just to complete the tour, you may know that the central/western forum is the place to go for annual severe weather forecasts (most people make them in the winter months, the 2017 thread will probably open up soon). And make a note that there's an annual North Atlantic hurricane forecast contest also in the general forum here at Am-Wx. I organize that one as well, and usually run an announcement thread in May. 

Well, enjoy your winter and maybe we'll see some (more) of your sub-forum members taking part. 

I know I talked to some people about moving up there. Almost done with preps, narrowed it down to east Gaithersburg, a few spots along the trail/park/creek area in Rockville, and one place in North Silver Springs!

How's winter coming along up there? I hope I get to see snow! Severe storms down here in Louisiana right now.

32 minutes ago, North Balti Zen said:

Just catching up on the news on Gatlinburg overnight - yikes. That area was the destination for many extended family vacations for me over the last few decades. I know it has been dry, but I missed how dangerously dry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

the radar from last night was crazy. rain coming in from the west, smoke plumes showing up. really crazy stuff. lots of videos showing how fast the fire was moving. 

took this radar grab last night and posted it to my twitter

3 minutes ago, North Balti Zen said:

That's crazy. Yeah, rain was a good news/bad news thing, because apparently winds whipped up ahead of the line to 60 mph which whipped the fire off the ridges and into the town.

saw another tweet of a weather station just east of downtown, at 830pm showed 118 degrees, winds from SSW at 45mph gusting in the upper 60s. that was its last reading. 

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic

Archived