Newest Member
    joxey
November Banter Thread

H2O

• Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 hours ago, WxWatcher007 said:

The further north the better. I'd love to be out in Rockville or Gaithersburg. Rockville gives the option of metro'ing into the city, which is a big bonus IMO. 

I'm hoping for a good winter. I like the projected pattern heading into December...hope we can produce. 

That's what I heard. Believe it or not I'm looking for high elevation areas ;) Finding lots of spots above 500 feet. We had those terrible floods in Baton Rouge this year, so I am selling it to my wife as "want to be high elevation for flooding!"

16 minutes ago, supernovasky said:

I'm in a hatched risk area today here in Louisiana... what's the severe weather like up there anyway?

Awful. As in, hardly any - especially compared to what you are used to. I grew up in Ohio and lived in Memphis for 10 years before moving here in 2009, and the severe over here is nothing remotely like what you coming from. Even when it is a severe potential day here, the storms themselves are blah. Good luck getting a true super cell in the area.

10 minutes ago, North Balti Zen said:

Awful. As in, hardly any - especially compared to what you are used to. I grew up in Ohio and lived in Memphis for 10 years before moving here in 2009, and the severe over here is nothing remotely like what you coming from. Even when it is a severe potential day here, the storms themselves are blah. Good luck getting a true super cell in the area.

I'll miss the glorious thunderstorms. Baton Rouge rarely, if ever, gets true severe weather though. We get supercells, strong rain, strong wind, and even hail sometimes... but we're close enough to the coast that it inhibits tornadoes and makes all of the real severe events happen about 100 miles north of us. Still, we do get TONS of severe warned storms and at least 1-3 TOR warnings every year (they never drop anything).

Gonna miss that up there. You guys DO get derachos though from what I remember!

Cashed in on one in my time here - it was quite something.

One thing you CAN plan on for here if your wife is willing, if you get frustrated waiting for a decent snow at whatever your address will be, is a snow chase. Easy to get to good snows even if we are crapping out near the fall line without having to drive too very far.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11 hours ago, supernovasky said:

I know I talked to some people about moving up there. Almost done with preps, narrowed it down to east Gaithersburg, a few spots along the trail/park/creek area in Rockville, and one place in North Silver Springs!

How's winter coming along up there? I hope I get to see snow! Severe storms down here in Louisiana right now.

Silver Spring is a snow hole...

4 hours ago, North Balti Zen said:

My FIL posted some photos from up in North GA. They have a house up there in Sky Valley. 

5 hours ago, supernovasky said:

I hate being so far from the metro station but at least I'll have bus stops nearby. Ugh. I need a car. Sharing a car is just too tough. Gotta get out of debt first though, and the wife's job will help that out a lot.

But I DO look forward to Gaithersburg snows!

Shady Grove Metro is nearby and numerous bus routes go there. 

8 hours ago, Eskimo Joe said:

Yes.  Also miss out on marginal events where 100 feet or a degree makes all the difference.  Gaithersburg or Rockville are the better spots.

Very true.  I live in the Bethesda/Chevy Chase area and it's not bad in terms of getting more snow than when I lived right in DC of course.  But yeah, Gaithersburg and even Rockville are far enough out to experience notably more wintry weather than the closer in 'burbs and general Metro area.  Same is also true obviously for ice type events.

I'm maybe ~10 miles from Rockville (going up the Pike, that is), and I've definitely seen differences in the snow from where I live to there.  For instance, during the blizzard I got 24" at my place, and was sort of riding the edge of the "dry slot" for several hours (though the snow never actually stopped here).  Had I been a mere few miles up closer toward Rockville I'm absolutely certain I would have topped 30" easily.  There were many reports over 30" up that way and more toward Gaithersburg.  Not complaining at what I got from that storm by any means, but that's just one illustration of what differences there can be in location as you go farther north and west from the immediate DC area.

Gaithersburg it is. Finalizing between two places. Both are about 500' elevation. That should count for something hopefully.

On another note, rental properties up there are seriously messed up. We called probably 20 places, and every. single. place. raised the price on the phone from the advertised price. That is unheard of here in Baton Rouge. We thought we were getting scammed at first but apparently its standard operating procedure up there.

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic

Archived