Newest Member
    joxey
PTC Matthew

PaEasternWX

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, LithiaWx said:

He's always said he doesn't like island chasing for this exact reason.  The career defining miss is just loltastic.  Josh is an amazing guy who lives the dream most of us have as weather enthusiasts.  He made an attempt to intercept.  How could he have predicted a possible FL landfall when he was making his calculations on the right place to intercept.  The data didn't suggest it.  He made a good try at it.  Can't sit here and Monday morning QB the deal. 

sounds like me in a way. when you miss a forecast, even by just a little bit, you get real pissed at yourself more than at anything or anyone else. he still has a lot more guts than I'd ever have.

1 minute ago, WishingForWarmWeather said:

Are you kidding me? Every media outlet I've seen is talking about the severe lashing Nassau is receiving from the NE eyewall. What is your deal. 

He is just trolling this thread and should be placed on a 5 post limit at this point because the majority of his points have been outlandish!!

Models are great but at this point I would take the few showing a miss with a grain of salt right now.

The NAM has been East the entire time and has never shown a FL landfall iirc. The fact it continues to tick West should be plenty enough support that the NAM is/has been too far East. That model really is putrid in applications such as this.

I wouldn't trust the NAM, but if other models nudge east today to a scrape offshore, that's indeed very good news for FL. Much less in the way of surge, and generally cat 1 wind if that's the case. 

I havent seen much support for a shift East. Hurricane models (gfdl hwrf) continue ticking west, NAVGEM still holding inland consistently, mesoscale wrf models lf, hrrr lf, gfs landfall, cmc landfall, nam even slowly correcting.

BULLETIN
HURRICANE MATTHEW ADVISORY NUMBER  34
NWS NATIONAL HURRICANE CENTER MIAMI FL       AL142016
1100 AM EDT THU OCT 06 2016

...EXTREMELY DANGEROUS HURRICANE MATTHEW HEADING FOR FLORIDA...

SUMMARY OF 1100 AM EDT...1500 UTC...INFORMATION
-----------------------------------------------
LOCATION...25.1N 77.8W
ABOUT 25 MI...40 KM WNW OF NASSAU
ABOUT 180 MI...290 KM SE OF WEST PALM BEACH FLORIDA
MAXIMUM SUSTAINED WINDS...140 MPH...220 KM/H
PRESENT MOVEMENT...NW OR 325 DEGREES AT 14 MPH...22 KM/H
MINIMUM CENTRAL PRESSURE...940 MB...27.76 INCHES

The eye looks to pass just NE of Andros Island, that's good news IMO for a scrape and not a full landfall inland in FL. If you extrapolate out the current movement, it looks like it could still make it ashore around Melbourne/Cape Canaveral. That's where I'd be most worried about a landfall if it does happen. 

6 minutes ago, SnowGoose69 said:

That may be the worst looking 140mph storm I ever saw on satellite.

Wet blanket 

The satellite presentation of the hurricane has continued to
improve, with a distinct eye surrounded by very deep convection,
and T-numbers are oscillating around 6.0 on the Dvorak scale.  Data
from an Air Force reconnaissance plane traversing the eye of the
hurricane also indicate that Matthew has strengthened.  The initial
intensity is estimated at 120 kt, based mainly on SFMR data
and an eyewall dropsond

3 minutes ago, jm1220 said:

The eye looks to pass just NE of Andros Island, that's good news IMO for a scrape and not a full landfall inland in FL. If you extrapolate out the current movement, it looks like it could still make it ashore around Melbourne/Cape Canaveral. That's where I'd be most worried about a landfall if it does happen. 

Would agree but even on straight NW course it would be making a beeline for the east central fla coast.  Million dollar question is when exactly it turns more NNW and then N to avoid landfall.

1 minute ago, OceanStWx said:

Big implications on landfall based on the angle of attack here. A wobble left of track by as little as 15 miles right now (assuming it stays a consistent 15 miles left of NHC track through the forecast) ends up with a landfall 110 or so miles further S on the FL coast. 

which I'm assuming COULD mean quite a mess in the beach areas of Dade County who are still only under a TS warning

• wxmx unpinned this topic

Archived