Newest Member
    joxey
PTC Matthew

PaEasternWX

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

Within a range of possibilities, sure, but I was talking more West Palm than Miami.

Agreed, but I'm just still not comfortable with the lack of Hurricane warning for the Miami beach area. I keep having visions of Hurricane Charley making that sudden unexpected turn to the right and catching Port Charlotte/Punta Gorda/Sanibel off guard. 

The outflow looks better than it did last night. Satellite is showing good upper level evacuation on all sides now. Shear is low and the maximum potential intensity and tropical cyclone heat potential indices are very favorable along the southeast FL coast. Right now I see little reason why Matthew would not at least retain the current cat 4 intensity as it approaches the coast. The eye looks like it is maybe 12-14 nm in diameter. The southwest corner of the eye is not fully developed yet per microwave imagery and radar. 

1VllsiJ.jpg

Lovely zone forecast for Cape Canaveral:

Friday 100 % Precip. / 2.37 in

Hurricane conditions expected. Periods of showers and a chance of thunderstorms. Some storms may produce gusty winds and heavy rainfall. Locally heavy rainfall possible. Highs in the lower 80s. North winds 95 to 115 mph with gusts to around 145 mph becoming west and decreasing to 70 to 90 mph with gusts to around 110 mph in the afternoon. Chance of rain near 100 percent.

Just now, farleydawg79 said:

Question to all the mets.....should short range models like the HRRR be more reliable now than the GFS?  HRRR shows a landfall much more south than the GFS

In all honesty it's probably closer to nowcast time and tracking the movement of the eye. Unless there's a good wobble west, I think the HRRR might be a bit too far west, and the greater concern area is Cocoa Beach/Cape Canaveral vs. Palm Beach or anywhere south. 

1 minute ago, CoastalWx said:

I don't think HRRR is a good tool to use operational for tropicals, but it's guidance like everything else.

It's been wobbling around a bit with landfall point but that could just be a product of the fact the coastline shape there and the angle of approach of the storm means slight deviation is a big difference in where it comes in 

1 minute ago, SnowGoose69 said:

It's been wobbling around a bit with landfall point but that could just be a product of the fact the coastline shape there and the angle of approach of the storm means slight deviation is a big difference in where it comes in 

Even the NCAR ensemble shows a nice scattering of solutions (even though they are all ARW core). Like you say, small deviations in track end up in large deviations in landfall.

4 minutes ago, farleydawg79 said:

Question to all the mets.....should short range models like the HRRR be more reliable now than the GFS?  HRRR shows a landfall much more south than the GFS

I've seen it do really well at fine tuning landfall locations within the last 12 hours of approach with east coast Atlantic storms in the past. It would be nice if Phil stopped by, he's spent a lot of time using the HRRR and could give a much better answer.

7 minutes ago, jm1220 said:

In all honesty it's probably closer to nowcast time and tracking the movement of the eye. Unless there's a good wobble west, I think the HRRR might be a bit too far west, and the greater concern area is Cocoa Beach/Cape Canaveral vs. Palm Beach or anywhere south. 

If Matthew somehow misses Cap Canaveral it could continue up the coast and make landfall in N FL then follow GA and SC coastline....

We MIGHT be seeing evidence of a partial EWR....SW eyewall is struggling, and the west portion of the inner eyewall MAY be trying to "connect" with the larger outer band....when the outer bands immediately outside the eyewall become really strong, we can have a halting of wind speed increases/pressure falls as the inner eyewall loses it's tight spin...

....just conjecture at this time....but LR radar may be indicating such...

17 minutes ago, wxmx said:

12 GFS is almost identical to 06z, with landfall near Cape Canaveral. At the start it's a bit east, but the ridge is a tad stronger and ends up in the same position as 06z after 24h.

Just me or does Matt basically sit over the NE coast of FLA almost stationary for about 8 hrs?

WTNT64 KNHC 061552
TCUAT4

HURRICANE MATTHEW TROPICAL CYCLONE UPDATE
NWS NATIONAL HURRICANE CENTER MIAMI FL       AL142016
1200 PM EDT THU OCT 06 2016

...12 PM POSITION UPDATE...

SUMMARY OF 1200 PM EDT...1600 UTC...INFORMATION
-----------------------------------------------
LOCATION...25.3N 78.0W
ABOUT 45 MI...70 KM WNW OF NASSAU BAHAMAS
ABOUT 160 MI...260 KM SE OF WEST PALM BEACH
MAXIMUM SUSTAINED WINDS...140 MPH...220 KM/H
PRESENT MOVEMENT...NW OR 325 DEGREES AT 14 MPH...22 KM/H
MINIMUM CENTRAL PRESSURE...940 MB...27.76 INCHES

$$

20 minutes ago, dan11295 said:

HRRR is most likely too far S. Would need to have a bit of a left hand turn for that to happen, and I just don't see that.

The HRRR was too far sw with the track all night, consistently taking the eye right through Andros Island, even southern Andros.

I had been thinking a Florida landfall may require a track no farther north than northern Andros.  It certainly can't acquire much more of a northward component if the center is going to cross the coast.  I guess we'll find out soon.

1 minute ago, wxmx said:

SW shear has been slowly increasing. CIMSS analyzed shear is now around 15kts. There might be a few more hours of potential intensification, but it will probably level off soon.

SHIPS guidance has shear remaining under 10 kts for the next 24 hours. Which is a more reliable source? (genuine question)

4 minutes ago, WhiteoutWX said:

SHIPS guidance has shear remaining under 10 kts for the next 24 hours. Which is a more reliable source? (genuine question)

SHIPS derives it's forecast from the GFS model (06z in this case). CIMSS analyzed shear is relied from real satellite observations. That being said, the shear gradient is currently pretty tight, so I can see shear staying favorable a little bit longer.

Things are looking better for Palm Beach, but IMO, unless the track bends right in the next 12 hours or so, the Melbourne/Merritt Island/Cocoa Beach areas are still under the gun for a landfall. Drawing a straight line from the eye and extrapolating its track, it leads to just south of Melbourne, around Palm Bay. The eye looks pretty tiny, so it wouldn't take much deviation east, but where it does hit is in for a world of hurt. 

1 minute ago, wxmx said:

SHIPS derives it's forecast from the GFS model (06z in this case). CIMSS analyzed shear is relied from real satellite observations. That being said, the shear gradient is currently pretty tight, so I can see shear staying favorable a little bit longer.

Ok, SW shear is generally a more favorable direction (as long as it isn't strong) for northward moving systems as it can help with poleward outflow correct?

• wxmx unpinned this topic

Archived