joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
April 3, 2016 Snowblitz Observations

Baroclinic Zone

• Replies 642
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Surprised my old hood in Brookline Village per wxniss did poorly. Here I have a winter wonderland with encrusted trees and crushed daffodils....did not measure but it's at least 3. Elevation ftw? Just a couple of hundred feet made the difference I guess.

Yeah Jerry. And I'm sure the 3+ you and others report are there... the photos speak for themselves.

Here we had maybe 1-2" accumulated only on cars and tree limbs (I did not measure), and a barely visible slushy film on roads and sidewalks. Hence why I think the heat-capacity-of-standing water theory was definitely a factor in minimizing accumulations. 

And despite our shared county (or are you in the Middlesex part of Chestnut Hill?), I think my ground accumulations are probably closer to SR Airglow's in Fenway than to yours. Hence why elevation must have been a factor in this too, as Ginx pointed out.

By 1pm here, there was essentially no trace of snow, and I bet that's different for you as well.

Heat-capacity-of-standing water, elevation... these are all factors that will make a location more sensitive to snowfall rates. I share Will's surprise that we didn't accumulate better in some areas.

It was a fun event regardless!

Nice to have something worthy of a 5am Sunday wakeup alarm.

there was nothing on the pavement and 1.5 on the porch and grassy surfaces about the same...don't use a snowboard

there's several miles difference between where I am and your folks are, I have often observed a few more inches deeper into e longmeadow....just a black hole here for snow

My friend who lives in Springfield near the East Longmeadow line had 2.7".

Yeah Jerry. And I'm sure the 3+ you and others report are there... the photos speak for themselves.

Here we had maybe 1-2" accumulated only on cars and tree limbs (I did not measure), and a barely visible slushy film on roads and sidewalks. Hence why I think the heat-capacity-of-standing water theory was definitely a factor in minimizing accumulations.

And despite our shared county (or are you in the Middlesex part of Chestnut Hill?), I think my ground accumulations are probably closer to SR Airglow's in Fenway than to yours. Hence why elevation must have been a factor in this too, as Ginx pointed out.

By 1pm here, there was essentially no trace of snow, and I bet that's different for you as well.

Heat-capacity-of-standing water, elevation... these are all factors that will make a location more sensitive to snowfall rates. I share Will's surprise that we didn't accumulate better in some areas.

Yeah we share Norfolk..had to keep eligibility for our daughter to be at BHS. Not too shabby on property values also. Definite snow cover here at 2:25 pm but the April sun even with cloudy periods is doing its work.

What is the final at Bos? They were 1 as of 7am and at least a few more hours of moderate snow after that.

You guys got shafted a bit by a subby band too. Here, I went from +RA to +Paste and then dried out a bit. It began to stick very easily. In fact, I would argue a cold rain is really good to get ground temps cold so that you can get the all important slush film to start and off we go.  I 33-35Frain will cool anything.

I hope you get no snow for ten years

I hope you are the local jack for 10 years in a row and get 30% more than the 1000' higher elevations to each side of you in every storm. I pray for massive late season storms where the CRV stays all snow while anywhere above 500' rains.

The seasonal snow departure here has fallen to -46.3 inches putting us at 39% of the seasonal average. We will likely reach the 600 day mark by the time next winter rolls around since the last warning level snow event.

Sad.

ABINGTON -- Two people were killed on Rockland Street Sunday morning after a tree fell onto the car they were in, fire officials said.

http://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/2016/04/03/tree-falls-car-abington-killing-two/xH4AHJjOWBjCevaZbNNurN/story.html

I was outside with my son when I heard my neighbor's oak go. Definitely scary. That's 3 local fatalities due to wet snow down trees this winter.

Archived