joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
April 3, 2016 Snowblitz Observations

Baroclinic Zone

• Replies 642
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Elevation may have played some role, but not the primary one.Manchester, CT had as much as I did and that's valley town for the most part. Scooter got 5" on the beach there in S Weymouth.. It was more about getting under the heaviest echoes. if you loop the radar from 3:00-6:00am..far eastern HFD county and then northern Tolland County into NW RI got under the best stuff and that continued over to S Weymouth. I got up at 3:30 and it was 2" per hour snows

Probably played more of a role the farther west one was. Before heights crashed and the low started cranking.

Probably played more of a role the farther west one was. Before heights crashed and the low started cranking.

Well that, and the PNS report from Manchester could have come from 100' or 800' depending on where in town it was. Minor details.

However, having driven to Manchester this morning, I will say that it was most definitely a combo of the two. Around 500-600' where 6 turns into 44 in Bolton there was definitely more snow than in my town at the same elevations. Makes sense given the location of the best banding to the western side of Tolland County. However, downtown Manchester had noticeably less.

We are over in Littleton and it is pretty brutal with the wind. Car thermo read 25F. It got down to 21F over the high ground in Groton, VT.

Up this way MVL was 20/7 at 1-2pm middle afternoon in April. It's obnoxiously cold and dry out.

Sitting at 20F with a Td of 0F right now. Atrocious.

Up this way MVL was 20/7 at 1-2pm middle afternoon in April. It's obnoxiously cold and dry out.

Sitting at 20F with a Td of 0F right now. Atrocious.

ALB was pretty close to their 4/3 850MB record low this morning.  A pretty impressive air mass for this date.  Feels like a typical January day out there with the wind.  Without the wind the sun is pretty strong.

Topped out at 34° here which is a record low max for me (since 1985).

It's 23.9 here . It'll be in the teens early tomorrow morning with snow falling. Just like April 82 storm. Never thought we'd see that again

29.4/14

This is about as cold of an event as feasible this time of year.

Ironic that this feat, along with the coldest airmass in 60 years were featured this season, of all years..

It's 23.9 here . It'll be in the teens early tomorrow morning with snow falling. Just like April 82 storm. Never thought we'd see that again

BDL had a high of 24...ORH 21. That was a beast of a coastal. Apples and oranges.

82 was much more anomalous.

I wasn't comparing the two. Just saying the same thing can happen with snow and cold etc

Neither site should be close to those max temps, but I know what you're trying to say. It will feel more like a winter event tomorrow than a spring event. You and ORH will probably have a sub-32 high. Still impressive. 82 was just insane though.

Neither site should be close to those max temps, but I know what you're trying to say. It will feel more like a winter event tomorrow than a spring event. You and ORH will probably have a sub-32 high. Still impressive. 82 was just insane though.

If the snow stays pretty decent intensity during the peak 15z-20z hours, then I could see a bust on the cold side. MAV has 28F for a high at ORH and MET is 31F...I could see it turning into a high of like 26F or something in the above scenario...but if stuff lightens up then it will want to crack 30F.

If the snow stays pretty decent intensity during the peak 15z-20z hours, then I could see a bust on the cold side. MAV has 28F for a high at ORH and MET is 31F...I could see it turning into a high of like 26F or something in the above scenario...but if stuff lightens up then it will want to crack 30F.

Totally agree with all of that. 82 was really special though. 15F with snow and 50mph gusts midday at ORH a week into April. I just cringe comparing tomorrow in any way to it.

Totally agree with all of that. 82 was really special though. 15F with snow and 50mph gusts midday at ORH a week into April. I just cringe comparing tomorrow in any way to it.

Oh yeah, no way we'll match that, lol.

I think we had two record lows in '82 as well...not just record low maxes.

There's very little precedent for something like what happened in '82 in April...it basically stands alone.

Trying to put together a map for CT snowfall totals. If anyone has any reports from the 4 southern counties (New Haven, Fairfield, Middlesex, New London) please PM me or reply in this thread, thanks.

Looks like snow accumulated all the way to the shore but by the time i got up it was all melted.

From the NWS:

post-12274-0-79610700-1459728547_thumb.p

Archived