joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
April 3, 2016 Snowblitz Observations

Baroclinic Zone

• Replies 642
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Haha. That pic is great. Look at that road though. Looks like January. No sign of wet slushy crap. Straight up snow covered and icy.

That was in Belmont, MA too...not even ORH where I didn't live until the late '80s. So basically no elevation.

Sorry for the OT, but on my date today, this chick was telling me that she arrived at Logan from her vaca in MX like 5 years ago to a substantial snowfall across MA in MAY.......now, the date was going swimmingly, so it was all I could do not to argue with her and derail the whole experience. I politely suggested that she may have been mistaken, but then dropped it after she sustained her position.

Is it me, or was she hallucinating?

Oh yeah, no way we'll match that, lol.

I think we had two record lows in '82 as well...not just record low maxes.

There's very little precedent for something like what happened in '82 in April...it basically stands alone.

NYC's only true powder snowfall in April, most falling at low-mid 20s.  Other significant April snow there all came at temps within a few degrees of 32.  Also the greatest positive bust I'll ever see.  CAR's evening update on 4/6/82 added flurries to the previous cloudy/windy.  They ended with 26.4" of flurries.  In Ft. Kent I "measured" only 17", the quotes due to the winds gusting near 60 making actual measurement impossible.  Most fell with low teens for temps.  In terms of its effect on daily routine, that event is exceeded in my experience only by the ice storms of 1/53 and 1/98, and maybe the snowstorm of 2/3-4/61.

Archived