• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
One last Cape Cod Crusher March 4-5

rnaude241

One correction here though, Grinch Christmas week call 8 weeks out, got to give me at least that lol. 

Yea, only correction I would make is that the very essence of research is citing the work of others...and I'm not a PHD meteorologist, so lol

I think this winter worked out as badly as possible given the hand dealt.....I stand by much of my outlook, but obviously the snowfall and NAO just did not work out...no coincidence....even considering, this probably should have been a normal winter on par with 1983, in which I received 60".

It is what it is, though....that is the fun of predicting snowfall, which many do not like.

I enjoy the unpredictability of it because its almost akin to sports in that sense.

• Replies 525
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Personally, although this season really had some frustration...I have felt worse. Some may say the frustration really made this winter the worst...but in 2012...I never once felt any excitement like I felt this year when looking at models. It was always hopelessness. I understand it was far worse in other areas...I am only speaking IMBY.

I liked the blizzard, great storm,then the epic paste job then the incredible wind cold combo. 5 days out of 90 but mucho better than 2012

lots of "it's coming" forecasts for the 2nd half, glad I tossed in the towel after the 5th cutter and 60 degree day

Backslap for you and a high five for guessing correctly on 2/5.

Let us know when the drought in the fall is going to predict a snowless winter again like autumn 2014.

Backslap for you and a high five for guessing correctly on 2/5.

Let us know when the drought in the fall is going to predict a snowless winter again like autumn 2014.

:lmao: horrible call.   Had sweats thinking 01-02 was inbound that year.   Not sure what I guessed correctly on 2/5 but my area had about 7-8 inches of heavy wet snow that day

Sure it wasn't a big half, but it was pretty much our winter. Late January through February. Not sure why people in BDR are complaining about snow.

Give us 2011-2012 anytime <duck and run> over this non-sense. ;).

For here the closest thing to winter was January. At least had solid snow cover all month and even got up to 10-12" of depth at one point. February was atrocious up here, just a different version of December in terms of snowfall.

powderfreak, on 03 Mar 2016 - 2:34 PM, said:

Give us 2011-2012 anytime <duck and run> over this non-sense. ;).

For here the closest thing to winter was January. At least had solid snow cover all month and even got up to 10-12" of depth at one point. February was atrocious up here, just a different version of December in terms of snowfall.

Same thing at Sugarloaf, a solid 12" of cover during MLK weekend with 82 trails opened and folks snowmobiling in Rangeley. Unfortunately they went backwards from there as we headed into spring.

Same thing at Sugarloaf, a solid 12" of cover during MLK weekend with 82 trails opened and folks snowmobiling in Rangeley. Unfortunately they went backwards from there as we headed into spring.

Yeah I think NNE "peaked" in January for whatever it was worth, haha.  That's when skiing was the best, with even a couple legit powder days. 

February just seemed like getting poked in the eye with a sharp stick the entire month...because there was always "potential" just around the corner (doubt we have ever shoveled more day 7-10 fantasy snow than NNE did this February). 

Yeah I think NNE "peaked" in January for whatever it was worth, haha.  That's when skiing was the best, with even a couple legit powder days. 

February just seemed like getting poked in the eye with a sharp stick the entire month...because there was always "potential" just around the corner (doubt we have ever shoveled more day 7-10 fantasy snow than NNE did this February). 

Two Februarys in a row, though the poking last year was less painful.  (Nearly as frustrating.)  This Feb, snowpack wiggled between 8" and 12", and I felt privileged to have even that much given all the snow-to-rain events.  To describe last Feb's frustration, consider that on Jan 31, I had 27" OG and Machias had 27".  On Feb 17 they had 74" while I had...27".

Sure it wasn't a big half, but it was pretty much our winter. Late January through February. Not sure why people in BDR are complaining about snow.

3 weeks really.  Doesnt float my boat.  Did ok on snow, but those cutters wasted the local ski areas-down to ice by 2/20...meh and the goods were always 7-10 days away which meant time to mail it in. Oh well, spoiled of late, so can't gripe too much... :whistle:

Weenie question, I know.  But how can the NWS office that gives the forecast for New London and the NWS for RI area give 2 different accumulations like this?  Don't they communicate with each other.  Sorry for the weenie question, but just wondering.

New London, CT forecast:

Friday

Light snow. High near 36. Wind chill values between 15 and 25. Northeast wind 9 to 17 mph, with gusts as high as 29 mph. Chance of precipitation is 80%. New snow accumulation of 1 to 2 inches possible.

Westerly, RI forecast:

Friday

A chance of snow, mainly before 3pm. Cloudy, with a high near 34. Northeast wind 6 to 15 mph, with gusts as high as 32 mph. Chance of precipitation is 30%. New snow accumulation of less than a half inch possible.

Yeah that is when I had 3 decent ski days (1 at Stowe and 2 at Smuggs).

Weenie question, I know.  But how can the NWS office that gives the forecast for New London and the NWS for RI area give 2 different accumulations like this?  Don't they communicate with each other.  Sorry for the weenie question, but just wondering.

They don't agree with each other.

3 weeks really. Doesnt float my boat. Did ok on snow, but those cutters wasted the local ski areas-down to ice by 2/20...meh and the goods were always 7-10 days away which meant time to mail it in. Oh well, spoiled of late, so can't gripe too much... :whistle:

Well I personally did not expect the big winter anyways. My fun wild ass guess for snow was between 35 to 45 inches for my area Boston etc. I did think that most of our winter weather would be in the second half of the season anyways. My snow today is just under 30 inches and Boston is just over 25 inches. What I did not expect was how warm it was. I did not think we would have near record warmth to record warmth this winter.

New London, CT forecast:

Friday
Light snow. High near 36. Wind chill values between 15 and 25. Northeast wind 9 to 17 mph, with gusts as high as 29 mph. Chance of precipitation is 80%. New snow accumulation of 1 to 2 inches possible.

Westerly, RI forecast:

Friday
A chance of snow, mainly before 3pm. Cloudy, with a high near 34. Northeast wind 6 to 15 mph, with gusts as high as 32 mph. Chance of precipitation is 30%. New snow accumulation of less than a half inch possible.

Just a pretty awful forecast. I haven't really seen anything to suggestion anything more than a trace of snow here. I wonder where they get stuff like this sometimes. 

Archived