joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Late Feb/March Med/Long Range Discussion

WinterWxLuvr

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yep, the 'tops' at Canaan and Timberline are around 4100, Davis sits at +-3150, the 'valley' runs a hair under 3300.

I believe Canaan is the highest mountain valley in the eastern US. Its a really beautiful place. Did quite a bit of hiking and taking photos there last summer. Learned a lot about the area. Had no idea about the extensive wetlands there.

Canaan is where its at if you want to stay in the MA region and get big snow. 160" annual average...I dont think any place south of NY state (lake effect areas) gets more snow on average. 

We have also looked into that general area as well but Somerset has better upside as far as closer to family and PA being a better state as far as retiring in. Of course before we do make a move we will revisit the different options again. I will say that though the Laurel Highlands don't have the elevation that Canaan has they still do quite well where their average snowfall runs roughly 140-150 inches a year. Think that has to do with the fact they do a little better with Lake Effect.

We have also looked into that general area as well but Somerset has better upside as far as closer to family and PA being a better state as far as retiring in. Of course before we do make a move we will revisit the different options again. I will say that though the Laurel Highlands don't have the elevation that Canaan has they still do quite well where their average snowfall runs roughly 140-150 inches a year. Think that has to do with the fact they do a little better with Lake Effect.

Yep. Trajectory off Lake Erie is near perfect and colder location due to northern lat. They can do better than Garrett County even with their generally lower elevation. That would be my choice all things considered. They also do better wirh cad than areas on rhe western side of the Blue Ridge.

I think Somerset itself is under 100". The higher peaks(which are only around 3000 feet or so) would do better. I have always liked Oakland/Deep Creek Lake area as well. Very pretty area and 100" + of snow on average. Of course the amount of snowfall should not be the only factor in making a decision of where to relocate. ;)

Eps made a big jump on the snowfall means. Has 2" line running below the m/d line from Harford to Washington counties. Yea it's a long shot but beats 50 and sunny for days on end. Actually 6z gfs looks semi interesting at 500 mb day 7 ish.Not far from something as depicted.

Meh, Euro proged snow storms at 176 hrs. this winter = :cliff:

Only thing I am tracking is when I would feel comfortable to throw my vegies in the ground. Had to laugh at the serious responses though considering it was pretty obvious that I was just having some fun.

There were no serious responses, and I doubt anyone took you're original post seriously either.  We're all just having fun.

Only thing I am tracking is when I would feel comfortable to throw my vegies in the ground. Had to laugh at the serious responses though considering it was pretty obvious that I was just having some fun.

I'm glad we are getting some cold stuff right now. I'm not done in the yard so slowing the explosion of green is good. I wouldn't be surprised at all if we get some wet flakes in the air over the next week or so. I hope April ends up like other aprils following strong ninos with generally normal to below normal temps in the east. 

Archived