• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Late Feb/March Med/Long Range Discussion

WinterWxLuvr

Not a good way to open the season.  And it had been warm that spring up until the first week of April.

I remember that opening weekend for Cleveland back in 2007 (being a northeast OH native and Cleveland fan).  Snowed out the entire opening series vs. the Seattle Mariners, which I believe was 4 games.  They had to make up the games throughout the season, which was not easy to schedule.  They managed to fit in off-days for both teams to make up part of that series in Cleveland.  However, the last one was made up in Seattle as part of a double-header near the end of the season...in which the Indians were the "home team" for the first game of that DH!  Crazy.  Ended up as a great year for Cleveland.  Too bad they couldn't close out Boston in the ALCS after having a 3-1 game lead, but then again they had to face a red-hot Josh Becket who shut them down twice.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I finally got kicked off wxbell on mobile so no more d10-15 euro ens for me. Which is fine. I've stopped caring much.

It looks like blocking and a good dose of below normal will kick off the month after the 2nd-3rd give or take. Which is actually good for striped bass season on the bay. Sets up a great spawn and keeps the big cows around for a while. 

I have actually have to mow my lawn this weekend. Not common to mow in March. A +7 month will do that I guess. lol

Wow, I knew we were above normal for the month to this point.  But didn't realize it was that much!!

It's actually not as bad. I rounded up. DC/BWI are +6.5 and IAD is +6.6. lol

We should hit +7 with the way the next 7 days looks. 

Yeah, I checked out the climate summary on LWX and saw the precise numbers.  Still quite toasty!  And you're right, we'll probably hit +7 or so by the end of the month.

Funny, but the other day I was out near the Silver Spring metro station and in a shaded area on the side, there was still a remnant of a grungy snow pile from the blizzard lying there on the grass!  Had to do a double-take.  So despite many consistenly warm days in that time (especially this month), it survived for two months!

Hour 252 on the 6z GFS--just need the low to go negative a bit earlier.  Looks plenty cold with the 540 line in Norfolk.   :yikes:

Lets do this.  we got one more in us.  late night model watching online, weather models included, starting a thread, first guesses, R/S line...who is in?

12z is close to a fake snowstorm also.

that is quite the set up for April...or any month for that matter...but I know its fools gold...if we couldn't do it in March then doing it in April seems like a trip to Insanity Island...I have condo there BTW so I am in.

that is quite the set up for April...or any month for that matter...but I know its fools gold...if we couldn't do it in March then doing it in April seems like a trip to Insanity Island...I have condo there BTW so I am in.

I'm moving to Ludicrous Island. I believe it's just a stones throw away from Insanity Island? All in. An April paste job would be damn funny...and I like to laugh so...

I'm moving to Ludicrous Island. I believe it's just a stones throw away from Insanity Island? All in. An April paste job would be damn funny...and I like to laugh so...

there are few set-ups that would allow for that in April and that is one of the few.  needs to be extra cold at all levels and perfect track and even then its a long shot.  I imagine the Euro will laugh at all this but its worth watching it instead of the growing grass

I've seen several April accumulating snows up this way (April 9th 1996) sticks out - 4-5" ... so it does happen. Several cases in the ( Ludlum ) books for the Mid Atlantic . Let's track...I'm in.

I know I'm higher elevation than most, but I had 2.0 on 4/5/13, down towards Blacksburg I think they had about 5.0

Checking records......

4/9/82 - 0.5

4/8-9/85 - 1.0

4/3-6/87 - 6.5, I recorded snow each day, highs in upper 30's/low 40's and lows in upper 20's.

4/5/92 - 2.0

4/5/13 - 2.0

Lots of T's through the years.

I know I'm higher elevation than most, but I had 2.0 on 4/5/13, down towards Blacksburg I think they had about 5.0

Checking records......

4/9/82 - 0.5

4/8-9/85 - 1.0

4/3-6/87 - 6.5, I recorded snow each day, highs in upper 30's/low 40's and lows in upper 20's.

4/5/92 - 2.0

4/5/13 - 2.0

Lots of T's through the years.

Were you too far west for 4/7/90? That was a good snow for the northwest DC suburbs and a big (as in foot plus) storm for parts of the central and northern Shenandoah Valley.

Looking at the LR 18z I find it funny that the PV is so strong it squashes the low. Now that would be interesting for early April. But a fitting end to what should be the last remote threat to track. Interesting to see how this goes. It will be a cold start to April if nothing else.

Real nice. Did you get anything on April 18-19 2012 . I was out in Somerset ,Pa visiting and they got 12-15" ..they reopened the ski resort out there for a couple days .

Nope, just rain here.

Were you too far west for 4/7/90? That was a good snow for the northwest DC suburbs and a big (as in foot plus) storm for parts of the central and northern Shenandoah Valley.

I reported a T

Real nice. Did you get anything on April 18-19 2012 . I was out in Somerset ,Pa visiting and they got 12-15" ..they reopened the ski resort out there for a couple days .

Wife and I have been considering moving out to Somerset county in a couple of years. Beautiful country and though Somerset itself only averages a little over 90 inches (which is great compared to the averages in our region) the higher elevations in the county do much better and get some unbelievable amounts of snow.

I've seen several April accumulating snows up this way (April 9th 1996) sticks out - 4-5" ... so it does happen. Several cases in the ( Ludlum ) books for the Mid Atlantic . Let's track...I'm in.

April 9, 2000 - 3 inches of heavy wet snow between 3am-7am with winds blowing from the NW 25-35mph.

Wife and I have been considering moving out to Somerset county in a couple of years. Beautiful country and though Somerset itself only averages a little over 90 inches (which is great compared to the averages in our region) the higher elevations in the county do much better and get some unbelievable amounts of snow.

Canaan is where its at if you want to stay in the MA region and get big snow. 160" annual average...I dont think any place south of NY state (lake effect areas) gets more snow on average. 

Canaan is where its at if you want to stay in the MA region and get big snow. 160" annual average...I dont think any place south of NY state (lake effect areas) gets more snow on average.

I think Snowshoe might have Canaan beat. They have an extra ~550 feet of elevation.

Agree, if you WANT more consistent snow but wish to stay in the general MA area, the Snowshoe up to Wisp line is the place to be. 

meh... Snowshoe measures its snow from the peak, which inflates its average a bit. I'm pretty sure the Canaan area at higher elevations has a similar average

Yeah I am talking about the valley, which is like 3200 feet. Micro climate. The surrounding mountain peaks would have higher totals.

Archived