Newest Member
    joxey
A Cold Valentine Feb 14 2016 Lobe

HoarfrostHubb

• Replies 973
  • Created
  • Last Reply

0.3F here

Back in 1972 6 of us went skiing for Christmas break and we stayed in an unheated farmhouse in Peacham. Every night was -15F or lower, a couple were -20F+.  Coldest place I've ever been.  WE brought in a pan of snow hoping the space heater we found would melt it so we could brush our teeth.  Never melted. We put beer in the fridge to stop it from freezing... didn't work.

Back in 1972 6 of us went skiing for Christmas break and we stayed in an unheated farmhouse in Peacham. Every night was -15F or lower, a couple were -20F+.  Coldest place I've ever been.  WE brought in a pan of snow hoping the space heater we found would melt it so we could brush our teeth.  Never melted. We put beer in the fridge to stop it from freezing... didn't work.

Damn hippies

The trend has been back to a bit colder on the core of the cold...not quite as far west as yesterday's runs.

So I think the chances of BOS/ORH setting their record lows have increased. MAV has a low of 3F in BOS which I think is too warm. MAV ran way too warm last night...so it's recent bias isn't a confidence booster. MET guidance is much colder...has record lows for both BOS/ORH. In fact, it puts up a -14F at ORH which would be tied for the 3rd coldest reading at ORH airport in their history (since 1948)...the old site pre-airport radiated better. I'm a bit skeptical of that number, but last night's -2F surprised me when no guidance had that type of cold.

The trend has been back to a bit colder on the core of the cold...not quite as far west as yesterday's runs.

So I think the chances of BOS/ORH setting their record lows have increased. MAV has a low of 3F in BOS which I think is too warm. MAV ran way too warm last night...so it's recent bias isn't a confidence booster. MET guidance is much colder...has record lows for both BOS/ORH. In fact, it puts up a -14F at ORH which would be tied for the 3rd coldest reading at ORH airport in their history (since 1948)...the old site pre-airport radiated better. I'm a bit skeptical of that number, but last night's -2F surprised me when no guidance had that type of cold.

This run was a bit colder than 00z at 925 which is important. So yeah, I think a -3 for BOS is probably in the game as far as having a decent chance to grab.

Archived