joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
A Cold Valentine Feb 14 2016 Lobe

HoarfrostHubb

• Replies 973
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This will be about the same time as that record breaking mid Feb 1943 cold shot. I always appreciate -30s 850s, but I like my cold shots centered a little lower like H9/92. With a well mixed lower trop those -30s at H85 "only" result in -10s down at 2m. Granted it's nasty with the wind, but nothing record breaking (at least min temp wise).

I'm sure it's different for the lousy radiators like ORH and BOS.

LOL

SAT NIGHT THROUGH SUN...HIGH CONFIDENCE.
EVER CONSIDERED VISITING ALERT...OR DO THE QUEEN ELIZABETH
ISLANDS EXCITE YOU? IF SO YOU ARE IN LUCK...BECAUSE BACKWARD
TRAJECTORIES SUGGEST THAT THE AIRMASS EXPECTED TO ARRIVE LATE SAT
INTO EARLY NEXT WEEK ARE COMING FROM THAT EXACT REGION. H85 TEMPS
DROP AS LOW AS -28C...NOT QUITE TO THE -30C DEVELOPING ACROSS NY.
EXPECT BITTERLY COLD TEMPS...COMBINED WITH BRISK N-NW FLOW WHICH
WILL YIELD WIND CHILLS WELL INTO THE NEGATIVE DOUBLE DIGITS FOR
MANY. WILL LIKELY NEED AT LEAST WIND CHILL ADVISORIES IF NOT
WARNINGS FOR A PORTION OF THIS PERIOD. SOME AREAS MAY ONLY SEE
HIGHS IN THE SINGLE DIGITS IN SPITE OF AN INCREASE IN SUNSHINE.

LOL

http://www.americanwx.com/bb/index.php/topic/47842-a-cold-valentine-feb-14-2016-lobe/?p=3969348

This will be about the same time as that record breaking mid Feb 1943 cold shot. I always appreciate -30s 850s, but I like my cold shots centered a little lower like H9/92. With a well mixed lower trop those -30s at H85 "only" result in -10s down at 2m. Granted it's nasty with the wind, but nothing record breaking (at least min temp wise).

I'm sure it's different for the lousy radiators like ORH and BOS.

can nyc bag its first feb record low since 1990?

LOL

post-3-0-73357100-1455044489_thumb.gif

That was about -24ish at 850....definitely short of what most guidance has for this weekend and well short of January 2004.

Any idea what the 850 temps were up this way last Jan 7/8.  It was my coldest night at -27 but was odd in that it came with decent winds which prevented the cold air from sinking into the valleys as mush as usual up here.  Memory is that there were some nasty 850 temps with that air.

Any idea what the 850 temps were up this way last Jan 7/8.  It was my coldest night at -27 but was odd in that it came with decent winds which prevented the cold air from sinking into the valleys as mush as usual up here.  Memory is that there were some nasty 850 temps with that air.

Yeah that was a good one...got near -30C in your hood.

BTV may bottom out somewhere near -10F at best at the surface and perhaps -20 to -25 at Morrisville/Stowe airport.  The lake is not frozen at all so that will be a big factor here in the CPV. Certainly the cold hollows could see -30's or better. This is assuming it is clear, but as of now the zones here have mostly cloudy.

I don't think anyone but us will notice if it's -30 or -27 at 850

Well of course...but it will make a definite difference in the records since we're fairly close to daily record lows on the models for those days. At least for the bigger non-rad sites like BOS/ORH/PVD. Kind of like how most people (except us of course) don't notice the difference between 24" of snow and 31"...but one is definitely more prestigious in the record books.

What does that translate to at the surface?  -15 finishes the peach trees for this year....sigh....again.

Planted a Reliance peach in May of 1998, another one year later.  The 2nd one was fatally wounded by a mid-May frost a week after I put it in the ground ('98 tree had barely broken bud, '99 was half leafed-out.)   First 3 winters saw temp bottom out at -24, -25, -25, which would kill back most of the previous summer's growth, though each summer the growth would be more than the year before.  2001-02 only had a -12 for the lowest - no dieback and blossoms all over the tree, followed by 100+ sweet tennis-ball size fruits.

2002-03 was a bit different - had 12 days with lows in the -20s, including two at -29, and a -22 as late as March 7.  Killed that tree right to the ground, though a weak sprout tried to grow from beneath the graft.  I don't think it lived into September.  Very glad I got that one crop before being conclusively shown that my frost pocket locale isn't peach country.

Lowest this season is -12 on Jan 5.  Only 7 subzero mornings so far, fewest I've had thru Feb. 9 among 18 winter seasons.  My least cold winter minimum was -10 for 05-06, then that -12 in 01-02, with the next a -17 in 12-13.  Unless we get another one of those March blasts (3 of my winters had their coldest morn in March, all in the -20s), this weekend looks to be my best/only chance to reach -20.

Planted a Reliance peach in May of 1998, another one year later.  The 2nd one was fatally wounded by a mid-May frost a week after I put it in the ground ('98 tree had barely broken bud, '99 was half leafed-out.)   First 3 winters saw temp bottom out at -24, -25, -25, which would kill back most of the previous summer's growth, though each summer the growth would be more than the year before.  2001-02 only had a -12 for the lowest - no dieback and blossoms all over the tree, followed by 100+ sweet tennis-ball size fruits.

2002-03 was a bit different - had 12 days with lows in the -20s, including two at -29, and a -22 as late as March 7.  Killed that tree right to the ground, though a weak sprout tried to grow from beneath the graft.  I don't think it lived into September.  Very glad I got that one crop before being conclusively shown that my frost pocket locale isn't peach country.

Lowest this season is -12 on Jan 5.  Only 7 subzero mornings so far, fewest I've had thru Feb. 9 among 18 winter seasons.  My least cold winter minimum was -10 for 05-06, then that -12 in 01-02, with the next a -17 in 12-13.  Unless we get another one of those March blasts (3 of my winters had their coldest morn in March, all in the -20s), this weekend looks to be my best/only chance to reach -20.

If you are going to grow peaches in NNE you need to plant on a hill and hope for wind.  And plan on no peaches 1/3 of the time.  We have a large orchard across the street.  Some use fans during cold nights.  We are putting in 2 peaches and 2 plums this spring to go along with our cherries, apples and quince.

If you are going to grow peaches in NNE you need to plant on a hill and hope for wind.  And plan on no peaches 1/3 of the time.  We have a large orchard across the street.  Some use fans during cold nights.  We are putting in 2 peaches and 2 plums this spring to go along with our cherries, apples and quince.

Exactly.  A friend in Fayette, two towns SE of home, has peach trees on a south slope and gets a crop most years.  I'm on a flat at the base of a sloping field, with forest all around so cold draining off the field has no place to go once it hits my dooryard.

Pretty classic downslope SE of the Whites from IZG to DAW Saturday night. 850s closer to -20C around IZG while the Cape is around -30C.

How often during a cold snap will TTN have a colder H85 than FVE?  And that -36 in the "Dacks (06 gfs had SLK down to -37) is about the coldest 850 I've seen modeled in the Northeast.

Archived