joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
A Cold Valentine Feb 14 2016 Lobe

HoarfrostHubb

• Replies 973
  • Created
  • Last Reply

ORH has been the same way...we've set a lot of cold max records since 2000 but very few min. Esp months of Oct/Nov...ORH has set 13 low max records in those two months since 2000.

At any rate, ironically, I don't think we'll set any record low maxes in this outbreak due to timing, but record low is a legit possibility.

I know some sites don't radiate well at all, ORH ASOS is in an elevated spot, etc. But is it fair to say that even at those sites most record lows happen on clear, calm nights?

I know some sites don't radiate well at all, ORH ASOS is in an elevated spot, etc. But is it fair to say that even at those sites most record lows happen on clear, calm nights?

ORH tends to do it on fairly strong CAA, usually not calm. Though I would agree that some of them probably occur on calm nights if an arctic high goes right overhead at the perfect time.

Example: ORH almost set a record low in the CAA on Jan 21, 1984...then the next night, MA recorded their coldest temp of all time at -40F under the calm high (which actually went a bit to our south)....ORH didn't even a get top 5 coldest night for that date on the 2nd night. Prob because the high was a bit south and they kept a SW wind.

It would be an interesting study to look up all the record lows there in winter.

ORH tends to do it on fairly strong CAA, usually not calm. Though I would agree that some of them probably occur on calm nights if an arctic high goes right overhead at the perfect time.

Example: ORH almost set a record low in the CAA on Jan 21, 1984...then the next night, MA recorded their coldest temp of all time at -40F under the calm high (which actually went a bit to our south)....ORH didn't even a get top 5 coldest night for that date on the 2nd night. Prob because the high was a bit south and they kept a SW wind.

It would be an interesting study to look up all the record lows there in winter.

Thanks, interesting.

You figure big time CAA days are almost certainly responsible for the record low maxes... seems rather fluky that you wouldn't see corresponding record lows at sites for whom CAA also drives the mins. Down here in the valley that pattern would make a little more sense if there were a multi year trend of increasing nocturnal winds or UHI impacts.

Thanks, interesting.

You figure big time CAA days are almost certainly responsible for the record low maxes... seems rather fluky that you wouldn't see corresponding record lows at sites for whom CAA also drives the mins. Down here in the valley that pattern would make a little more sense if there were a multi year trend of increasing nocturnal winds or UHI impacts.

Well even a site like ORH technically "radiates"....though just not nearly to the extent of the valleys or the interior CP so we (me included) often say they don't radiate worth a damn, but it's really just a relative description...the technicality is important in the physics of it. So the combination of UHI and AGW (which is supposed to affect radiational cooling at night more than daytime maxes) could explain the lack of min temps set despite some of those low maxes going down. January 2004 was able to pull off both...but that is a rare feat these days.

is this one of those things that if we refuse to discuss it it might go away??? because this type of cold weather seriously pisses me off...there's no need for this ****!

Set off your fire alarm Sat night, go outside, and sit in the -30s windchills for an hour for old time's sake.

1985 was the winter of State record low temps, 5 different states at different times set all time lows including Colorado South Caolina.

Yep - and 1/20/1985 was Chicago's all-time record low of -27F.  I believe there were H85 temps near -40C in MN during that outbreak...possibly the coldest H85 temps on record for the Midwest.

Yep - and 1/20/1985 was Chicago's all-time record low of -27F. I believe there were H85 temps near -40C in MN during that outbreak...possibly the coldest H85 temps on record for the Midwest.

Yeah that was an insane cold shot...-35C down to STL. MN has seen -40s at H85 before though. 1996 had a pretty epic cold shot. I remember they were selling shirts there that said "I survived the big cold."

Bouchard is tweeting a NAM temp map with that temp

That would surprise me

Yeah the 2m temps on the raw output are insane cold right on the coast. I don't quite buy it that extreme.

We'll see what the MET guidance (the NAM MOS) has when it comes out soon.

Archived