• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
February Med/Long Range Discussion Part 2

WinterWxLuvr

This one will lock in and not move.   If it was an all snow set up (well actually, that happened 3 weeks ago, but still.....)

I'm totally good with something on the front even if it just gets washed away. Who cares at this point. We need to add to the totals. I would like to see DC in the mid 20's on the year. The three year stretch will be a benchmark of a hot streak for years. Unless we make it 4 next year...only a month away before the winter of 16-17 thread starts. Weak nina (with blocking) comin up...

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm totally good with something on the front even if it just gets washed away. Who cares at this point. We need to add to the totals. I would like to see DC in the mid 20's on the year. The three year stretch will be a benchmark of a hot streak for years. Unless we make it 4 next year...only a month away before the winter of 16-17 thread starts. Weak nina (with blocking) comin up...

I thought 3 wasnt doable. So I am not saying it again this year. Its 4 in a row or bust.

Is it me or do the ensembles show something different everyday but they are always locked in?

The Euro ENS have looked very similar in terms of upper level evolution (and pretty solid consensus on east of the BR going above 0 at 850). However, the resident airmass is bringing temperatures to single digits.  I find it very hard to believe that cold air would be displaced at the surface as quickly as the operational and ensembles are showing (sans Canadian).  During the Feb 22nd storm last year, I was progged to go above freezing by 7 PM; I made it to 32 degrees approximately 8 hours and 0.25" of ZR later than modeled.

CAD/wedge modeling is just poor at this range.  Clearly an all snow event seems unlikely east of the BR at this point, but we are still wayyy out there in model land.

The Euro ENS have looked very similar in terms of upper level evolution (and pretty solid consensus on east of the BR going above 0 at 850). However, the resident airmass is bringing temperatures to single digits.  I find it very hard to believe that cold air would be displaced at the surface as quickly as the operational and ensembles are showing (sans Canadian).  During the Feb 22nd storm last year, I was progged to go above freezing by 7 PM; I made it to 32 degrees approximately 8 hours and 0.25" of ZR later than modeled.

CAD/wedge modeling is just poor at this range.  Clearly an all snow event seems unlikely east of the BR at this point, but we are still wayyy out there in model land.

This is a great post. If the general idea does in fact happen, it could be a protracted snow-sleet-zr deal before losing the surface. Especially banked up to the blue ridge and westward. Valleys may have a very difficult time scouring if it gets going early enough.

I'm rooting for a BIG storm even if it dumps lots of rain. A sub 980 overhead would be fun.

That was last year.  We've had another year of global warming since then.

Cant remember the date or the exact evolution but I received 8" of snow last year on a south wind that was blowing before the first flake fell.  Rare, but the key was having a ridiculously cold airmass in front.  This airmass that is on the way looks similar. 

ETA:  Maybe the same storm NFL referenced? 

Cant remember the date or the exact evolution but I received 8" of snow last year on a south wind that was blowing before the first flake fell.  Rare, but the key was having a ridiculously cold airmass in front.  This airmass that is on the way looks similar. 

ETA:  Maybe the same storm NFL referenced? 

I think it was a March event, I know it was bad because DCA basically got shutdown, they cannot operate at all with low VIS under a south wind.

The setup was awesome for PD3 a few days ago. It'll come back. I tell ya...it'll come back !!

Well, the Canadian and Euro have a more organized southern stream looking shortwave...whereas the GFS is more northern stream dominated from what I can tell, and it's weaker.  Interesting contrast.  I'd love to have a decent shortwave push into the cold air in place (but not too strong that it just lifts it out of the way quickly), get some nice overrunning snow or something.  Even if we mix or change to sleet/ice.  But that's kind of a bit of wishcasting there.

Um, anyone else think that the 18z GEFS low track on the mean looked good?

Meteocentre doesn't have meteograms for the 18z GEFS, but their meteograms for the 12z ensembles appear to support the idea of at least some front-end snow.

roPPIiy.png

raYnMA0.png

Taken together, that's a pretty strong signal at a long lead that we'll see some measurable snow out of this system.

Unsurprisingly the gfs is moving quickly towards a euro type solution.

So it seems like the question of the week will be...Just how long is that cold air gonna hang around before it gets pushed out. Not gonna give up on it because of what happened Feb. 22nd last year (would like to know if there are any similarities in the setup)

cmc and gfs tonight keep 850s below freezing throughout the event. 850 low tracks through deep south on both models. I am officially intrigued. and frankly i am not like some around here. i would take a 6" tainted event without a problem. interesting to see gfs and cmc going to a miller a look.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Archived